Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Alante Water Heater Bypass

I have just Un-Winterized my 2018 Alante 31V and the manual says to bypass the tank style water heater when introducing the sanitizing solution. My water control panel shows no bypass system and I cannot find and separate valving around the panel or in the water heater drain area. One part of the manual says do not introduce the bleach solution into the heater and another part says bypass the heater only if it has bypass valves. Leaving me to believe that if there are not bypass valves it is OK to fill the tank with the bleach solution. I did run the solution through my entire system, ran all the faucets and toilet, let is sit for 4 hours, drained everything and filled with fresh water. Then I ran all faucets and the heater with fresh water. My big surprise, as this is a brand new MH that was winterized last fall, is I had NO LEAKS at any faucet, drain or toilet and the heater performed perfectly. Knock on wood as I expected a few problems. We leave for our first "shakedown" trip next Sunday for a week staying in three campgrounds so I can get practice backing in, setting up and breaking down while remaining only 4 hours from home base.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

You are safe to run the bleach through the HWT, the main reason for a bypass valve which is on the back side of the HWT is when filling the system for winterizing it will take an extra five gallons just to fill the HWT. It doesn't hurt but its easier to just drain the tank by the drain plug with the valves in the bypass position
Attached Thumbnails
water1.jpg  
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

Tank Bypass

Where do you access the valves. If they are behind the WH do you access them from inside the coach?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
Where do you access the valves. If they are behind the WH do you access them from inside the coach?
Yes, there is a louvered panel below the frig that you need to remove.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Got it, I know just where you are directing me. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
MJD

I was reading this to get some help with my water heater by pass as well. I have an Alante 31R and can not find the water heater by pass. I am familiar with it as it was equipped in my last motorhome and located under the sink. I have looked at the water heater from under the sink and tried to find the valves under the refrigerator and can not locate them.
This unit is equipped with a Shurflo by pass pump. Does that mean it may not have the by pass valves on the water heater?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

I was told that the by-pass valves for the water heater are under the refrigerator behind the louvered grill. I just removed the grill and checked. There are no by-pass valves for the water heater. I can see and access the tank easily from this location and the input and output of the tank are plumbed directly into the water lines with no valves. I am now assuming by-pass is not necessary on the 2018 Alante.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

I believe the "sanitize" setting on the water panel will bypass the water heater, and least that's what I'm assuming since you use that setting for winterizing also.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
I was told that the by-pass valves for the water heater are under the refrigerator behind the louvered grill. I just removed the grill and checked. There are no by-pass valves for the water heater. I can see and access the tank easily from this location and the input and output of the tank are plumbed directly into the water lines with no valves. I am now assuming by-pass is not necessary on the 2018 Alante.
Interesting. Maybe there is not on the newer units. I suggest emailing Jayco at motorizedservice@jayco.com to confirm.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryn View Post
I believe the "sanitize" setting on the water panel will bypass the water heater, and least that's what I'm assuming since you use that setting for winterizing also.
I have that setting on my panel but still have bypass valves
Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
MJD

Thanks, I called the dealership and spoke to maintenance tech. Who confirmed that the bypass was part of the water panel. Thanks for the quick responses.
Safe Travels,
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

None on mine, it's a 2018.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
MJD

Allen, where are the valves?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #14

I have a 2018 Alante 31R and it did NOT come from Jayco with a HW Heater Bypass. I had to manually add one. I did so by removing the drawers on the cabinet where the sink is installed, and removing the wood panel inside the right most lower cabinet door in the same cabinet - this provides adequate working space. Once installed, the valves can be accessed by removing the lowest drawer in the cabinet and reaching down to the heater.

If this doesn't make sense I can take a few pics and post. it is possible newer units have a bypass, but my 2018 was an early build - built prior to the 'new' black grill being installed, I have a 2017 'front cap' on mine.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #15

2019 manual says the winterize setting bypasses the water heater. Drain plug should be removed from the water heater.
PhilT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
I have a 2018 Alante 31R and it did NOT come from Jayco with a HW Heater Bypass. I had to manually add one. I did so by removing the drawers on the cabinet where the sink is installed, and removing the wood panel inside the right most lower cabinet door in the same cabinet - this provides adequate working space. Once installed, the valves can be accessed by removing the lowest drawer in the cabinet and reaching down to the heater.

If this doesn't make sense I can take a few pics and post. it is possible newer units have a bypass, but my 2018 was an early build - built prior to the 'new' black grill being installed, I have a 2017 'front cap' on mine.
If you have the Nautilus water station the water heater bypass is built into the winterization settings of the valves.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Allen, where are the valves?
Just saw this question. My bypass valves are next to the water heater, behind a removable grill under the refrigerator. Jayco had been making changes since the 2018 models so my unit could be different than yours.