Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #21

We have the connect box on our Alante, just one caution about the outside TV if you have one. The video signal via cable to the antenna is fine, but we had a terrible signal vial the cat6/hdmi adapter, turned out Jayco used un-shielded cat6 and ran it bundled with the AC lines, and anyone with any A/V experience knows this will induce a 60Hz line hum or inducted interference to the cat6, which was causing the bad signal. I had to run a complete new shielded cat6 line from the connect box to the outside TV to get a good video signal. So if you have a bad signal via cat6 that is the reason, I don't know how many or on which Rigs they did this.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #22

Thanks Jesse. I'm heading out in my new 2018 Alante 29S and I'll see what the signal from my Connex box to the outside TV looks like. Good tip. Appreciate it.

Dave
Odinsvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Thanks Jesse... I did see that the cat6 is run with ac lines.. not good, but hoping for the best.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Thanks Jesse... I did see that the cat6 is run with ac lines.. not good, but hoping for the best.
Michael, check the markings on the cat6 cable, if there is a 'U' before the '/' then the outer cover is not shielded, If a 'U' is after the '/' then the twisted pair are un-shielded, best case is no "U", here are the wire codes for you reference. Bolded code is best. The 1st one is what I had. Oh, and if it is just 'UTP' it won't work next to AC lines so needs to be replaced.

U/UTP = Unshielded/Unshielded Twisted Pair (CAT 5 or CAT 6 with distance cross)
F/UTP = Foil/Unshielded Twisted Pair (CAT 5 or CAT 6 with distance cross)
SF/UTP = Shielded Foil / Unshielded Twisted Pair (CAT 5 or CAT 6 with distance cross)
F/FTP = Foil / Foiled Twisted Pair (CAT 5 or CAT 6 with distance cross)
U/FTP = Unshielded / Foiled Twisted Pair (Cat 6)
F/FTP = Foil shielded / Foil shielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6 / 6A)
S/FTP = Shielded / Foiled Twisted Pair (Cat 7 / 7e / 7A / 8)
SF/FTP = Shielded Foil / Foiled Twisted Pair (Cat 7 / 7e / 7A / 8)

Jesse
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:00 AM   #25

My Alante also came with the Blu-Ray player and Connex box. I pulled the Blu-Ray player out and replaced it with a small form factor PC and so now can watch movies, play music, and stream TV (when we have Internet) over any and all TVs in the coach.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
My Alante also came with the Blu-Ray player and Connex box. I pulled the Blu-Ray player out and replaced it with a small form factor PC and so now can watch movies, play music, and stream TV (when we have Internet) over any and all TVs in the coach.
I thought about a MAC Mini but with the built in apps in the BRD and TV I can do the same without adding another power draw when boondocking. I download TV episodes and movies onto a USB HD to watch when we don't have internet, streaming movies via cell service is possible but uses a lot of GB's. That being said we don't watch a lot of TV while boondocking, to tired from being out and about all day. We have used the outside TV for 'movie night' when friends are along.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Michael, check the markings on the cat6 cable, if there is a 'U' before the '/' then the outer cover is not shielded, If a 'U' is after the '/' then the twisted pair are un-shielded, best case is no "U", here are the wire codes for you reference. Bolded code is best. The 1st one is what I had. Oh, and if it is just 'UTP' it won't work next to AC lines so needs to be replaced.

I will do this... haven't had a chance to yet, but wil as soon as I get one.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #28

Can anyone tell me how to use this box. I hook up the coax cable in the campground and then choose cable thru the wall on tv and do a channel search and only get 5 channels. What does the Connexx box have to be set to to get cable channels?
WVU EERS is offline   Reply With Quote