Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Another Coleman Mach bites the dust

Hi All,

Well I just replaced the second Coleman AC unit in our Jayco Precept 36U. Fortunately the first was a warranty, the second not so good. Surely didn't go with a Coleman again, two times and your out.

Inspected the removed unit and found why it went bad. The drier which is attached to the compressor has a seam that is silver soldered together. Well this one let loose and one can see where the refrigerant oil has blown out along with the refrigerant.

Can it be repaired most likely, can it be recharged surely. There are puncture service ports available. I have a vacuum pump and a 25 lb bottle of R401. Now just to find the time to get it done,

I also sent an email off to Airxcel and told them this is a manufacturing issue and the 2 year warranty shouldn't apply. Yeah right I can hear the chuckles around the board meeting tomorrow.

Just a heads up for the rest of the Coleman AC users.

Green pastures and blue skies to all.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #2

I went through both of my Coleman units in the first 18 months but luckily both were replaced under warranty. The two replacement units, also Coleman, have been working fine for 3 years now. I always cross my fingers and say a prayer whenever I fire them up.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #3

My Coleman Mach 15k is now over 5 years old and runs everyday during the summer. Added the SoftStart and RV airflow, so it's working better than when it was new.

What model and year was your unit? Has it been in freezing weather in the winter? I actually prefer the Coleman over the Dometic I've had in the past.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #4

That stinks. Sounds like Coleman is outsourcing parts from China. Over the years I have owned several campers and now my 34G which has two and I’ve never had the slightest problem with any of them. Tough, self-contained units. At least they are easy to replace.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:07 AM   #5

What year did Coleman/Airexcel get acquired by Thor?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

Just poor QC from Tecumseh. When you have sweated seams leak, that are solidly mounted to the compressor body, you have a QC problem.

BTW the AC unit and all of the parts are made here in the US. One might think that would be a winner, NOT!
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote