Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #21

Its an interesting quandry since apparently Ford hasn’t given a ‘fix’ to the dealers yet. However, if the chassis has no miles on it and the fluid is topped off, I would imagine a fix isn’t needed since the axle never spun up. But does that satisfy the recall?

So many questions.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #22

Also I now wonder if RV builders will start ordering new chassis in order to keep building units they can sell, and leaving the questionable ones in the yard until Ford sorts it out. Or even if they pull the newer ones in the yard so they can get on with it, and keep the older ones behind. Again - so many questions.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #23
RPR

The rear ends will have miles on them. From Ford plant to Jayco. On units already delivered to customer I would drain the fluid, remove the rear end cover to inspect gears, ends of axles, pinion seals, signs of over heating and check for metal in the oil. They may not go as far as to magnaflux gears and axils.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:19 PM   #24

So if you’re right I’m either getting a later built chassis or I’m cancelling my order entirely. Ugh.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #25

RPR, there is that and my dealer indicated that there cold be a liability issue if they violated ford rules... so, waiting
Gillespiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #26
RPR

Yep, liability is the driving force now a days.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Yep, liability is the driving force now a days.
There is no liability if you check fluid levels or adding the correct fluid type whether it is engine oil or your rear axle oil.
Take it to a certified mechanic, NOT Ford. Pay the $100 dollars. Get peace of mind.

I am not suggesting you fix anything, dollars to doughnuts, If your not experiencing problems currently, then repairs probably aren't needed. Consider it preventative maintenance.

If your Ford Dealer had any concern for you, they would have checked it and filled for free.
AlwaysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #28

Just talked to Service Manager, still no idea.

Funny thing is, my VIN NOW does not show on recall anymore on Ford or National list. It did past couple of days ago.

My guess, Ford re-grouping and was put out too early OR ours is fine, which I doubt.

Anyway, dealer cannot release RV.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #29

Littlebird, other that the word being "right side up" did you have anything else tell you that the lower was the fill hole? I also have the s130 and although I didn't pull that lower plug, I did the upper...didn't feel anything.. thinking and like you trying to verify which is correct for fill measurement.. Dana/spicer manuals do not say and have incorrect illustrations... PS: O'Reilly has the same fluid for way less than Ford...
Gillespiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #30

Gillespiek, I did not have any other info or direction about the fill hole. After putting the mileage on it that we have and towing a trailer if it was low I would think it would have broken by now! I did pull that top plug first and bent a piece of wire to stick in the hole. The oil was about even with the lower fill hole,which I didn’t see at first!! When I took the wire out and held it up to the rear is when I saw the lower fill hole. So I pulled that one out and the oil was right there. I did take pics of both plugs and didn’t have much stuff on them. A little sludge is all
Little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #31

I suppose we could measure the axle housing dimensions and figure approximately how much oil should be in it. The s-130 takes 7 quarts according to my manual. Those holes are about 3 inches apart and it’s pretty wide area there. A lot of volume.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #32
RPR

Little bird one of your previous post about flipping rear end for 4wd and the two fills holes explains the two holes. When flipped hight of pinion gear is raised in housing so more fluid would be needed. My method for checking correct fluid past on from my dad. Put your pinky finger in the hole and bend it down in the hole not past the first joint in your pinky. If you touch fluid you are good.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #33

Thank you RPR. That makes sense
Old 05-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #34

Our 2021 Jayco Alante 31V is officially “off” the Recall list. Taking delivery May 15th. There is hope.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Our 2021 Jayco Alante 31V is officially “off” the Recall list. Taking delivery May 15th. There is hope.
How did you manage to accomplish this? I called Ford Dealer and they said it was still in an “advance notice.” Thanks!!!
wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #36

Our dealer (Colerain RV) said Ford had visited Jayco factory and had reviewed our’s before it was shipped to dealer. They called me yesterday to schedule delivery.

Ours was originally on recall list but removed.

Seems the recall list was probably composed with ALL units once word spread until they could review/edit/dwindle it down.

Keep checking your VIN!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #37

The Jayco dealer just called me and Ford has communicated the remedy for recall 21S17 (rear axel fluid underfill.) The recall remedy from Ford is that if a VIN has more than 5 miles on it that dealers should replace the bearings altogether, no checking fluid levels first, complete replacement. The Ford dealer confirmed and is checking on parts availability for the rig we "were" going to buy. Last week Thursday, when I spoke with the Ford dealer the recall was still in advance notice with anticipated remedy available in 3Q. So things changed between then and today.

That said, after the recall and being told it could be end of September before there was a remedy we searched for and are near a deal on a used 2019 Thor Challenger 37KH. My Wife prefers the interior and floor plan of the 2021 Jayco Precept 34H. So do I tell her or not?

The big next question is parts availability. It could be that parts are back ordered for 3 months and we don't want to cancel our plans this summer.

Thought I'd provide everyone an update.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #38

Wow. I wonder how many miles a unbuilt 'lot' chassis has on it. Mine comes off the line 6/2 (supposedly). Assuming my chassis is a pre 2/21 build, I wonder how it all plays out.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Wow. I wonder how many miles a unbuilt 'lot' chassis has on it. Mine comes off the line 6/2 (supposedly). Assuming my chassis is a pre 2/21 build, I wonder how it all plays out.
My guess is they looked at the liability risk resulting from all that could go wrong and decided the least costly option was to replace versus dealing with the resulting catastrophic accidents, death, etc of a feel failing and the reputational hit they'd take as a result. Smart decision to just replace.

I don't understand how big of a job it is to pull that all apart and replace it. I'm sure other mechanics in this forum do though.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #40

I received my recall notice in the mail today for the rear differential recall I contacted Rush truck Center in Orlando and scheduled an appointment for mid June. Service advisor notified me that they will replace all the bearings in the rear end. They will
Need my coach for a few days to make repairs.
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote