Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
Skip the alante and buy the precept. Heavier chassis and 22.5 wheels and 50 AMP service.
And $20-30k more
Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #122

Quote:
Skip the alante and buy the precept. Heavier chassis and 22.5 wheels and 50 AMP service.
We are going through this right now.

The Alante was a great introduction to Class A motorhomes, but I wish I knew then, what I know now. Our next rig will be a Precept.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #123

I agree that the wind does move everything. However Jayco never should have put a motorhome class "A" with 19.5 tires on the road. In testing they did everything they could to get rid of the road wandering. Sway bars front and rear, Bilstein shocks in the rear, balanced drive shaft. It might have helped a little. Now if you want to spend another 10K there is and outfit named Road Master that promises to end the wandering.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #124

Quote:
I was really stuck on the layout of the 31V, the Precept line did not have a model I really liked.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #125

We looked at the Precept, however it was much more expensive, and had a bunch of stuff that we neither needed or wanted. All we added to the Alante was the full sized toilet (porcelain), a thermostatically controlled fan in the bathroom, and dual Interstate deep cycle house batteries. Thank goodness it didn't have the thankless water heater, or the Furrion TV's.

It handled extremely well on the interstate! Tracks perfectly straight, and is almost unaffected by passing trucks (I was driving at it's "happy speed" of about 63 MPH).

The only handling issue is the body roll when crossing uneven surfaces (RR tracks, sloping driveways, sloped crossing streets, etc.) and I'm not sure what to do about that.

My big concern now is how much the body work is going to cost....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
I agree that the wind does move everything. However Jayco never should have put a motorhome class "A" with 19.5 tires on the road. In testing they did everything they could to get rid of the road wandering. Sway bars front and rear, Bilstein shocks in the rear, balanced drive shaft. It might have helped a little. Now if you want to spend another 10K there is and outfit named Road Master that promises to end the wandering.
I added Koni FSD shocks, a rear trac bar, helper anti-sway bar on the rear, a safety-t-steer, and did the CHF on the drag links for the sway bars. Total out of pocket about 4K, my 26X now handles very well and the trucks do not push me around much, and I can drive with one hand as there is no more rut tracking or wandering. I did do all of the work myself so saves $$$ there. The F53 chassis is infamous for bad handling. You could spring for a Kelderman air ride suspension system and fix it all in one fell swoop, if you have deep pockets
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #127

Well, it seems that the 1500btu A/C unit on the Alante poops out at about 105º, we are packing up to leave on our 8K mile trip and its 111º outside <ouch!> and the A/Ç is struggling to keep the inside at 85-88º. Had to start the dash air to help it out. Looks like I will be shopping for a new A/C unit when we get back. Any suggestions for an upgrade?
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We looked at the Precept, however it was much more expensive, and had a bunch of stuff that we neither needed or wanted. All we added to the Alante was the full sized toilet (porcelain), a thermostatically controlled fan in the bathroom, and dual Interstate deep cycle house batteries. Thank goodness it didn't have the thankless water heater, or the Furrion TV's.

It handled extremely well on the interstate! Tracks perfectly straight, and is almost unaffected by passing trucks (I was driving at it's "happy speed" of about 63 MPH).

The only handling issue is the body roll when crossing uneven surfaces (RR tracks, sloping driveways, sloped crossing streets, etc.) and I'm not sure what to do about that.

My big concern now is how much the body work is going to cost....
The CHF will help with the sway/roll.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #129

own one it is junk nothing but trouble
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #130

alante is trouble
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #131

Alante 31V

Hey there, we have an Alante 31V, we love it. We have had it since Sept 2016. We've driven it through mountain passes in BC and have no major issues. The dealer has been working on our leveling system, but we feel // trust they will get to the bottom of the issue..
sitchintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Well, it seems that the 1500btu A/C unit on the Alante poops out at about 105º, we are packing up to leave on our 8K mile trip and its 111º outside <ouch!> and the A/Ç is struggling to keep the inside at 85-88º. Had to start the dash air to help it out. Looks like I will be shopping for a new A/C unit when we get back. Any suggestions for an upgrade?
It seems to me that these RV AC unit are rated to create a 20 degree difference from the outside ambient temperature. So it may be within spec.

Yeah, I agree that doesn't solve your problem of being hot inside.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #133

klsparh.

sorry to hear about the a/c quitting.

111 outside. sounds like heatwave we are having in the SF Bay area and other
CA 'hot spots' this weekend.

yea, i believe it's suggested the best an a/c can do is to cool up to 20 degrees
less than outside temp.

hopefully you are able to survive until cooler times re-appear.

take care ans safe journeys

mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
klsparh.

sorry to hear about the a/c quitting.

111 outside. sounds like heatwave we are having in the SF Bay area and other
CA 'hot spots' this weekend.

yea, i believe it's suggested the best an a/c can do is to cool up to 20 degrees
less than outside temp.

hopefully you are able to survive until cooler times re-appear.

take care ans safe journeys

mike

Huh ????????!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #135

2016 Alante

Put air bags on front to try and help keeping it on the road still now good and I talk to Jayco about my shower drain sinking down 3" when you stand on it they said it would have to be taken out and supports put in they didn't do it when was on the assembly line I have two other dealers work on the same thing what a piece of junk I bought now I have put $2400 in the RV tring to keep it on the road now Jayco say it needs a bigger stabilizer bar on I don't know that's a nother $600 for it is any body else having all this problems
DDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Put air bags on front to try and help keeping it on the road still now good and I talk to Jayco about my shower drain sinking down 3" when you stand on it they said it would have to be taken out and supports put in they didn't do it when was on the assembly line I have two other dealers work on the same thing what a piece of junk I bought now I have put $2400 in the RV tring to keep it on the road now Jayco say it needs a bigger stabilizer bar on I don't know that's a nother $600 for it is any body else having all this problems
I installed supports under my shower pan as it was very flexible with my 200lb weight. Wasn't hard to add 4 supports, just attach them with Marine 5200 adhesive on the floor, leaving the top to 'float' a bit as the coach flexes, access is thru the plumbing panel. I am in the process of adding the Air Suspension system also. I have fixed most all of the other gremlins so hoping all will be good once I get the handling dialed in.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
alante is trouble
Actually, mine hasn't had much more in the way of issues than any other class A I have owned, you may have gotten a Monday model, after a bad weekend. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #138

One Year update 2016 Alante 31L

We purchased our Alante last October 2017. It was a 2016 Model that we picked up for a very good price. After the passage of one year with the Alante these are our impressions. We have driven about 1000 miles, all close to home for multiple 2,3 or 4 day weekends. Have not had more time till retirement next March. Overall the Alante has been great. It's gone back twice, first time for minor stuff found during delivery inspection and 2nd time last month for a warranty repairs mostly related to rattles, loose screws, and minor cosmetic issues. The most major issue was the power cord plug was cracked. They replaced the entire shore power line. We also had them put in some support under the shower floor. We had one slam latch that stopped working and we fixed that our selves. The ride and handling has not been as bad as others have experienced. We keep our tires at 90 lbs and try to keep our fresh water tank full. The extra weight along with a full tank of gas seems to make a big difference. I plan to do the CHF and a steering stabilizer and that should be all we need. We also added a screen for the rear window for a little extra ventilation as we like to boondock. we still like to look at new comparable coaches and still feel we made the best choice and got a great price. Vogt in Fort Worth has been great also. The only thing we don't like is the loud engine and heat from the doghouse. I will be insulating that in the near future. We also don't think much of the Jenson Radio/entertainment system, we really can't hear the radio when we are traveling over the engine noise. I believe we can cut the noise by 50% or so once We have time to insulate it. I wish we could get the new Fusion.
We also wish there was more insulation behind the bedroom closet and the kitchen refrigerator. There is none. Again I think it will be easily corrected.
For a entry level Class A, I think the Alante is hard to beat, I think we will be enjoying it for years to come.
Gerry1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1078 View Post
We purchased our Alante last October 2017. It was a 2016 Model that we picked up for a very good price. After the passage of one year with the Alante these are our impressions. We have driven about 1000 miles, all close to home for multiple 2,3 or 4 day weekends. Have not had more time till retirement next March. Overall the Alante has been great. It's gone back twice, first time for minor stuff found during delivery inspection and 2nd time last month for a warranty repairs mostly related to rattles, loose screws, and minor cosmetic issues. The most major issue was the power cord plug was cracked. They replaced the entire shore power line. We also had them put in some support under the shower floor. We had one slam latch that stopped working and we fixed that our selves. The ride and handling has not been as bad as others have experienced. We keep our tires at 90 lbs and try to keep our fresh water tank full. The extra weight along with a full tank of gas seems to make a big difference. I plan to do the CHF and a steering stabilizer and that should be all we need. We also added a screen for the rear window for a little extra ventilation as we like to boondock. we still like to look at new comparable coaches and still feel we made the best choice and got a great price. Vogt in Fort Worth has been great also. The only thing we don't like is the loud engine and heat from the doghouse. I will be insulating that in the near future. We also don't think much of the Jenson Radio/entertainment system, we really can't hear the radio when we are traveling over the engine noise. I believe we can cut the noise by 50% or so once We have time to insulate it. I wish we could get the new Fusion.
We also wish there was more insulation behind the bedroom closet and the kitchen refrigerator. There is none. Again I think it will be easily corrected.
For a entry level Class A, I think the Alante is hard to beat, I think we will be enjoying it for years to come.
A lot of the engine noise can be abated by using Fatmat sound deadening or the like under the doghouse, dash, footwells and anywhere else you can reach. The other good way is to install an RV 5 star tune for the V10v3 engine, this will add power, change the shift points to keep the engine RPM closer to the 3200 peek torque point without the 'Roaring' so common. With only 1K miles in the last year and all close to home I am assuming you haven't done a lot of freeway travel, this is where the handling issues come in, not on secondary roads at 55 mph. I now have 18K on my 2016AY with a coast to coast trip, and have had to do a lot of mods to get the thing to drive right on the freeway at 65. And we don't think much of the Jensen either, although once I got all of the connections that Jayco forgot to hook up fixed, and the engine noise taken care of it was much better, I even have the TV sound going thru it on the Aux input.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #140

We bought an Alante 32n the middle of August .. We have gone on one over night and several long day trips.. because our RV has been in the shop..
Back up camera.. never worked.. still not fixed...wind shield wipers flipped out the first rain we had..topper over a slide out.. won’t go back in..some kind of leak in the bedroom..shower handle broke first day..drawers have several broken slides..hanging bedroom door.. falling from ceiling.. at this point not a single thing has been fixed.. my husband is looking into how to just fix it all himself..
Roamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote