Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Any Problems with your Slam Latches (Alante)

I have had a storage door come open while I’m driving. It is not always the same door and I always lock them. Anybody else experience that?

I have been checking them before we leave to make sure it was not my error. But on the last trip the generator door popped open. If this keeps up it is only a matter of time before something bad occurs.

I’m thinking it is crappy door latches but I’m not 100% sure...

I’m also thinking about adding a second locking mechanism, but I don’t have a good and/or workable idea for that.

My Alante was a left-over that had been sitting on the dealer’s lot for a year and when we first looked at it the salesman could not get the cargo doors to unlatch. They said they fixed them, but they were hard to unlatch when we first got the rig, but with use they became normal. I’m also thinking this might have something to do with the problem.

If others had doors come open while driving then maybe it is a design issue.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #2

Same problem with Precept

Two years ago when my Precept was new I had the same problem with doors coming open at random but first trip to the dealer resolved the issue by adjusting the latch/striker plate distance.

You may also find that some doors will not latch or unlatch when the coach is out of level. Usually leveling cures that issue.

Just this month I had one latch that would not release the door to open, level or not level. All my hand tools were in this compartment, managed to borrow a screwdriver and forced the door to open. Moving the latch handle resulted in very little movement of the latch plate. I move the latch to one of the tiny compartments and started the process of ordering a replacement latch. Now going on week three in the process, Jayco CS asked for pictures of the latch this past week to identify it.

Overall I can't complain about the slam latches, they have worked well when the locks were not frozen. I believe proper adjustment is crucial to correct operation though.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Had the same problem with one door; I adjusted the position of the latch a little and so far have not had an issue.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #4

Mine stay latched but the locks are sticking, difficult to turn the key to lock or unlock. I have been using WD-40 in the lock and on the mechanism and it seems to be working.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
Mine stay latched but the locks are sticking, difficult to turn the key to lock or unlock. I have been using WD-40 in the lock and on the mechanism and it seems to be working.
Please do not use WD-40 on your locks, it will wash away all of the graphite and actually make them harder to open in the long term. Use powdered graphite with a spray tube.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

I got locked out of my pass-thru by a bad lock post bushing, seems the bushing cracked and fell off, not allowing the door to open. I had to crawl thru from the other side and pop it open with a screw driver. Figured out a fix and did all 10 doors so it wouldn't happen again, found 2 more latches with cracked bushings.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #7

Same exact thing happened to me except there was no way to get to the inside of the lock. I had to drill through and open it with a chisel. Ordering a new handle right now.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Same exact thing happened to me except there was no way to get to the inside of the lock. I had to drill through and open it with a chisel. Ordering a new handle right now.
When you get time take the latches off one by one and put some heat shrink tubing over the bushing and heat with a hair dryer, this will shrink it up tight around the bushing and keep it from falling off. I think excess heat cracks the bushing so it falls off, preventing the door from opening. I haven't had any problem since I did the mod on all of my doors.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #9

My generator would open while driving. The door had warped from heat causing problems with the latch. I was able to adjust the latch to keep it closed before getting the new door installed.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #10

we have 2020 Precept 31UL and have had same problem. I lock all doors and they open so I have to really slam them after engaging the lock for them to stay closed. Lousy design for sure.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
we have 2020 Precept 31UL and have had same problem. I lock all doors and they open so I have to really slam them after engaging the lock for them to stay closed. Lousy design for sure.
I stopped slamming them as I figured at some point that would do some damage, I just close them by hand and then push in on the latch face until I hear it click, and after locking always pull on the handle to insure it caught.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Makes sense however I was told by the dealer to slam them. Will try your way...
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

I do as JesseS does in closing. I also pump silicon spray into the lock once a year.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #14

I had two that would stay latched no matter how hard I pushed. Mine has plastic striker plates. I used a coarse file to thin the striker plate just enough so that I can hear the latch click in place when I push hard enough to compress the weather seal.
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote