Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Atlante 26x How does it drive

2018 model.. How does this unit handle? Ty
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Haven't seen any yet, but the only difference in the earlier models is the J-Ride Plus vs the J-Ride. And the only addition for 2018 is the HD stabilizers F/R, which will do nothing for the ride but should cut down on the top heavy sway. You can read this thread for a discussion of the issues I encountered if you haven't seen it.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

I just brought home our new 2018 Alante 26X. I just moved to the 26X from a larger DP as our needs have changed. The DP Air Ride was smoother, the Cummins had better power, I will miss the Exhaust Brake and the Air Brakes. The 26X will get us into campgrounds that the DP would not allow.

Upon leaving the Dealer, I traveled I-5 at 65 MPH for a while. I passed several semi-trucks and had one or two pass me, I had no problem with the way it handled, it was not overly windy out, so that might change things, we will see. I had an older Class C with the V-10 and a 5 Speed, the newer V-10 and the 6 Speed seem like a better combination. This new combination operates overall at a lower RPM than our older one. I live in a very mountainous area, so downhill is always a concern for me.

The 6 speed Transmission downshifted each time that I touched the brakes and I never felt unsafe. I really wish there was better transmission control on the shifter. Besides the usual P R N D, there is 4th, 2 and 1. It would be nice to be able to select and hold through any of the gears, depending on grade, weather, traffic, etc.

Overall the steering seemed fairly smooth around corners and straight stretches. The ride was not bad or good. My daily driver is a Ram 2500 so I am used to a fairly stiff suspension. I do not expect this motorhome to ride like a higher end automobile.

I hope this answers some of your questions, if not ask away. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #4

Well then maybe they derated to front leaf springs, a lot of people complained about the harsh thuds and bumps when hitting potholes or bridge transitions. (ME!) I will be interested in a followup review when you get her fully loaded on a trip and have a semi blast past you at 75. I hope they did improve the suspension, it needed it, Ford did say they were going to try and fix the issues for the '18 models.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

We added the koni fsd shocks on our 2016 31ul precept. Took a good deal (not all) of the harshness out of the ride. The original shocks were bilsteins.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

I added those also, the blistines were too small and rated for the over stiff leaf springs. Added to the air suspension I now have a really good ride, much better than as delivered.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

The 2019 model 26y they spread the wheels out extra 20" maybe that would help some?
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
The 2019 model 26y they spread the wheels out extra 20" maybe that would help some?
That should be a positive improvement in ride and lessens rear overhang.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #9

Having a 2016AY, I believe 20 inches more on the wheelbase would provide a much nicer ride.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
Having a 2016AY, I believe 20 inches more on the wheelbase would provide a much nicer ride.
True, but how many of us are going to run out and trade in for a new one only to have to start the Factory Beta Test all over again
Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
True, but how many of us are going to run out and trade in for a new one only to have to start the Factory Beta Test all over again
Well put Jesse.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #12

We bought ours used, and haven't had many problems. The main problem is the backup camera not working. that will be taken care of in the next couple of weeks. Would like to have a little more length, but that won't happen for a few years if then.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micp View Post
I just brought home our new 2018 Alante 26X. I just moved to the 26X from a larger DP as our needs have changed. The DP Air Ride was smoother, the Cummins had better power, I will miss the Exhaust Brake and the Air Brakes. The 26X will get us into campgrounds that the DP would not allow.

Upon leaving the Dealer, I traveled I-5 at 65 MPH for a while. I passed several semi-trucks and had one or two pass me, I had no problem with the way it handled, it was not overly windy out, so that might change things, we will see. I had an older Class C with the V-10 and a 5 Speed, the newer V-10 and the 6 Speed seem like a better combination. This new combination operates overall at a lower RPM than our older one. I live in a very mountainous area, so downhill is always a concern for me.

The 6 speed Transmission downshifted each time that I touched the brakes and I never felt unsafe. I really wish there was better transmission control on the shifter. Besides the usual P R N D, there is 4th, 2 and 1. It would be nice to be able to select and hold through any of the gears, depending on grade, weather, traffic, etc.

Overall the steering seemed fairly smooth around corners and straight stretches. The ride was not bad or good. My daily driver is a Ram 2500 so I am used to a fairly stiff suspension. I do not expect this motorhome to ride like a higher end automobile.

I hope this answers some of your questions, if not ask away. JH
Hi JH,
I know this is an older thread, but I've been considering a 26X and reading about them.

Do you know if your 2018 26X has a 158" or 178" wheelbase? I know the new 2019 26X's are all 178".

When looking on RVtrader at 2018 models, I see some are 158" and some are 178"? So I'm wondering if it was a mid year change for 2018.

Reading on this forum, I see some are not happy with the stock ride of the 26X. I drove a new 2019 yesterday (178" wheelbase) and while I'm no where close to an expert on motor homes, I didn't find it to be bad. It was a short test drive that included a few miles of city streets and a little freeway at about 60mph. So I wonder if its due to the longer wheelbase?

Thanks,
Dale
Dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #14

Dale, I believe mine is the 158". Overall, I am happy with the rig and the way it rides. I does get a little noisy going down steep hills, so that is the time I choose to think, not talk (haha). My wife and I are retired and we are raising a 9 yo Granddaughter. The floor plan works very well for us. I would not want to live in it full time, but for a 2-3 week vacation, it suits us very well. We just got out of a 37' Diesel Pusher that would have been great to live in full time. The reality for us is we have a child in school so our long trips are going to be limited for several years and I am not complaining. We like to camp in State and Federal Campgrounds, the DP did not allow us to go where we and our grown kids were going, the 26X does allow us to camp anywhere, stay in nice RV Parks and Boondock in the desert every once in a while. This rig suits our needs better than the big rig that we could not take out into the desert or State Campgrounds, Beaches, etc. so again, I am pleased with our purchase. List Price on my rig was $122k, I got it for $84k plus tax and DMV. As much as I dislike Camping Worlds Service, I felt like I got a fair deal on the purchase. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

Mine is 158". Took delivery in March of this year, it was straight from Jayco so probably manufactured in January or February.

Not sure if or when they went to the 178" for 2018. They would of had to change a lot on the coach to make it work. The overall length is different, my 2018 is 27.5' long and the 2019 is 28' long. They also would of needed to change the rear of the rv to accommodate the extra 20". This would show as the propane/battery compartment and compartment under the bed would have to be moved backwards.

Mine is still stock and have no major issues with the ride, but it could be better. I do not think it is as bad as a lot of posts I have seen. I do plan to do the CHF before the end of the year. It does get noisy as micp states, but I turn up hair nation on the xm instead of thinking
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micp View Post
Dale, I believe mine is the 158". Overall, I am happy with the rig and the way it rides. I does get a little noisy going down steep hills, so that is the time I choose to think, not talk (haha). My wife and I are retired and we are raising a 9 yo Granddaughter. The floor plan works very well for us. I would not want to live in it full time, but for a 2-3 week vacation, it suits us very well. We just got out of a 37' Diesel Pusher that would have been great to live in full time. The reality for us is we have a child in school so our long trips are going to be limited for several years and I am not complaining. We like to camp in State and Federal Campgrounds, the DP did not allow us to go where we and our grown kids were going, the 26X does allow us to camp anywhere, stay in nice RV Parks and Boondock in the desert every once in a while. This rig suits our needs better than the big rig that we could not take out into the desert or State Campgrounds, Beaches, etc. so again, I am pleased with our purchase. List Price on my rig was $122k, I got it for $84k plus tax and DMV. As much as I dislike Camping Worlds Service, I felt like I got a fair deal on the purchase. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. JH
JH,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Silly me, I didn't realize I asked you about your wheelbase in two different threads!
Your input is very helpful. Thanks!
Dale
Old 09-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
Mine is 158". Took delivery in March of this year, it was straight from Jayco so probably manufactured in January or February.

Not sure if or when they went to the 178" for 2018. They would of had to change a lot on the coach to make it work. The overall length is different, my 2018 is 27.5' long and the 2019 is 28' long. They also would of needed to change the rear of the rv to accommodate the extra 20". This would show as the propane/battery compartment and compartment under the bed would have to be moved backwards.

Mine is still stock and have no major issues with the ride, but it could be better. I do not think it is as bad as a lot of posts I have seen. I do plan to do the CHF before the end of the year. It does get noisy as micp states, but I turn up hair nation on the xm instead of thinking
Thanks Balibe!
You may be correct about not changing for 2018. I can see a difference in the size and location of the baggage doors from the 178" in 2019 and the earlier 158". I wasn't sure if 2018 changed because if I look closely at the pictures of 26X models for sale on RVtrader I can see a couple labeled as 2018, but look like the 2019. Its very possible someone that wrote the ad accidentally put in the wrong year. And it wouldn't make sense for Jayco to change mid year
Thank you for your input, very helpful to me.
Dale - AZ
Old 09-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #18

I was just looking at that myself ……

I do like the change to the sink on the 2019, it is recessed with covers. I wish mine had that for the counter space while prepping … I had to by two cutting boards to cover the sink for the extra counter space ……
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote