Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Automatic Levelers

Good Afternoon.

Well are first experience with automatic levelers was during our PDI. I am glad we did that because we were not prepared for the shift of the coach.

Our PDI said that we should put the slides out before activating the automatic levelers. I reviewed the Jayco manual and could not find anything about the slides being in or out. I was thinking that the their would be a lot of stress on the slides if they were out and the motor home is lurching left, right, forward and back.

Any thoughts?

Tom
fizikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

There is debate among owners and frequently confusing and contradictory information in some manuals. Several folks have even sought guidance from Jayco itself and still didn't get the same answers!

I talked to the manufacturer of my leveler system (Bigfoot by Quadra) and they told me to level first before slideout deployment, then come back to the panel and check and see if the display still shows "level" after the slides are out. If not level then, re-level manually at that point to effect small changes. I can tell you since I got my 2014 I have only had to perform a re-level a couple of times.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

According to instructions we received you should level first, then extend all slides then auto level again. If the slides are extended on hilly or unlevel ground you're setting yourself up for slide problems.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

On my Greyhawk, you cannot run the slides if the ignition is on, and you cannot run the auto-level system WITHOUT the ignition on. That would SEEM to indicate you want to level before you deploy slides. That's what we've done in the motorhome.

We also leveled and stabilized BEFORE we deployed the slides in our trailer as well. If we don't have the trailer/MH stabilized before slide deployment, the slides will pull the rig off level as much as half a bubble.

And if we're being honest, I've used that half a bubble before. I got the trailer close, but a little high on the slide side, then I'll deploy the slides so the trailer pulled down on that side, THEN I'd go back and stabilize. A little less of that with the MH and the auto-level system.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955farm View Post
According to instructions we received you should level first, then extend all slides then auto level again. If the slides are extended on hilly or unlevel ground you're setting yourself up for slide problems.
We received the same instructions at PDI, level first, extend slides and re-level. Even the instructions for the auto leveler specified the same thing so that is what we do. Having said that the auto leveler never saw a need to adjust after extending the slides. I guess it depends on how stable the leveling surface might be.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Always level first. See bold area under caution.
Attached Thumbnails
91814900-C63F-43E4-BAAF-8818DEF26827.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Thank you, Rob. This is the most sensible answer to this question I've seen.

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Cliff_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

You always level first! This is so the slide tracks even and level and does not put any undue strain on the motors or gears by uneven weight.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

This sticker is on my control panel. It says to level before and after putting slides out. I have checked the levelness before and after with a bubble level and have not had a change. We always level before deploying slides.
Attached Thumbnails
EE867C9D-3906-47F6-9A48-BAB30F8D09D9.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #10

I have the same sticker as Mark S and always level before opening slides and double check with bubble levels and my cell phone level. However, there really isn't any one place in the coach to accurately determine level. I usually use the counter top in the kitchen because it's easiest. But I occasionally try the floor up front, in the living area and in the rear with very different results.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #11

My auto-levelers seem to do a good job, sometimes the front will be a bit high. I check with a level on the floor right behind and center the drivers seat as that gets the best results. The litmus test is if the bathroom door stays where you put it without swinging either open or closed
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #12

I always level 1st,..manually. My wife pulls out the 2' level, and calls out adjustment instructions as I tweek the levelers manually from the cockpit.
We then deploy the slides.
Works like a charm.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #13

I agree with the bathroom door test, refrig doors too!
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

For those of you with an iPhone you can use it as a level. Place the phone on a flat surface. If you have iOS 12.0 there is a measure app on your screen. Tap the measure icon once and when it opens tap the level icon in the lower right corner. It will show a single white circle with a green background and display 0 degrees if the surface is level. It will show 2 white circles with a red background and a negative degree number if the surface is not level.
If your iOS is older than 12.0 then you can go to your compass icon and swipe the screen from right to left and it will display the same level as in the 12.0 version.
It is a lot handier than digging a level out of a drawer or storage compartment and probably more accurate. Hope this is useful to any of you who were not aware of it.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #15

Oops. Forgot to mention that I always level first and then deploy slide outs.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #16

I always level first, then use a bubble level on the floor of the freezer. At least a half bubble inside the circle and your are good to go. The engine needs to be on for leveling. Next I will unload the belly boxes of what I need for camping and also do the utilities hook up. Why? I don't like banging my head on the extended slides.[emoji16] oh ya, then I grab a beverage.[emoji482][emoji481] DW then can push the buttons.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave55 View Post
Why? I don't like banging my head on the extended slides.[emoji16] oh ya, then I grab a beverage.[emoji482][emoji481] DW then can push the buttons.
Amen to that!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #18

when to level

Level, slide, re-level as needed, rinse, repeat.
2OLDMONKEYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #19

It’s been since 2014, but am pretty sure we were told to level first then extend the slides. In the owners manual it even told us to be sure no one in the coach moved while the leveling process takes place. Seems like common sense to level first then slide. We were not terribly impressed with the knowledge of our walkthrough person. Nice person, but not trained or just out of her league. We have been RVing for some thirty-five years at that point. I pity the newbie, they will be lost with the cursory walkthrough most dealers provide.