Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #21

Beg to differ

We were unhappy before we added Safe TPlus,track bars etc. but afterwsrds our 2017 31 UL handles like a dream. We went to the factory for Safe Tplus outside of Atlanta for the install. They said some places are putting on the wrong unit! Hope you can resolve your issues.
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #22

PS. We would not be selling ours now that we got it loaded snd running like a top except our snow bird trip turned into letís stay in AZ FOREVER! Going bavk to a tiny weekend unit for state parks. I love our Precept!
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #23

2019 Precept 31UL

We just acquired our Precept 31UL a little while back. It is a 2019 and brand new. Yes, I read all those same forum reviews, the horror stories, the negatives and the positives. I also use to tow a pretty hefty trailer with a 2003 Suburban with near 200K miles on it, so I was ready to have a losey goosey steering issue. The Precept delivered as I "personally" expected it to. Yes she wants to wander a little bit, but we are going to add the steering stabilizer, if not for more steering help, but to be ready if we ever have a blowout. I found it rather easy to drive. Once I got use to it, I drove quite a distance and felt comfortable.

That all being said, it should be noted that I am certain that Jayco knew that they had issues on this model. The 2019 and maybe the 18's have a different wheelbase. The older ones have the 190 inch wheelbase. Ours has the 228 inch, 22,000 lb. frame with the 22.5 inch wheels (giving them a 38" total tire diameter). The older models have such a long ass end. Other posters here are correct, you shift too much weight to the rear, and handling is horrible. Our rear wheels sit back one entire storage compartment further to the rear, and I think that helps tremendously. I also loaded my heavier gear into the front pass through compartment and I could tell a difference there as well.

Last thing and I'll shut up, several technicians have suggested then when you get a knew rig, to have a front end alignment done. The chassis was aligned at the Ford factory, then Jayco did their thing thus changing the weight. They said that if you just have random wander left and right, then you may not need one, but if it continually pulls one way more than another, it is possible that all the Jayco weight changed the alignment. So far, we've not done that. I'm not totally buying this theory just yet.

Anyway, good luck. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
kfecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #24

Sorry to hear about your problems with your 31ul. We experienced problems of the same magnitude with our Alante 31v. After three trips to one of the two Ford dealerships in the state of Florida to do warranty work on RV's, they replaced 4 out of the 6 tires because they could not be balanced. It drives much better but I'm used to it. The two year warranty is up this month and with all the other trouble we've had my wife wants nothing to do with this coach. Time to cut our losses & move on.

As a parting shot, come to find out the battery boost and mirror heater switches were wired backwards. Not noticing the mirror switch was on we spent a week without being able to open the slides, the awning, or put the front shade all the way down. The problems we experienced were in our view due to Jayco's poor quality control.

Well got 13,000 miles out of it. Going to look at a Newmar or Tiffin soon and decide if we wan't to continue.
twoflamingos is offline   Reply With Quote