Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #1

Awning not going out

We bought our new 2018 Alante in October of 2017. From the first week, the awning gets stuck and doesn't go out. I always have to pull the arms and then it extends. Tampa has been out to fix it over 10 times, and yet it still gets stuck. They replaced the struts and made adjustments on the arms. At what point does Jayco decide to just replace it? I asked the service person at Tampa RV and she said they won't do it. At this point, I don't know what to do.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

We have a similar problem with ours if it has been rolled up for a while due to the material stiffness. Usually I just keep running it out until gravity pulls it out or give it a assist with my hand.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslert View Post
We bought our new 2018 Alante in October of 2017. From the first week, the awning gets stuck and doesn't go out. I always have to pull the arms and then it extends. Tampa has been out to fix it over 10 times, and yet it still gets stuck. They replaced the struts and made adjustments on the arms. At what point does Jayco decide to just replace it? I asked the service person at Tampa RV and she said they won't do it. At this point, I don't know what to do.
Contact JAYCO direct and see if TAMPA even contacted them. Won't be the first dealer to say JAYCO won't do something with out contacting them.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

I have the same problem with my 2018 Alante. Had it in to the dealer and they made some adjustments but it still doesn't come out by itself. I just pull the arms out to get it started then no problem. It appears that the arm geometry just doesn't work well but it doesn't bother me much.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

OK. Glad it's not just me. I was at the Supershow and went to the Carefree booth. They think the awning may not be aligned. Regardless, it is not the worst problem to have.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Get your tape measure out and measure from corner to corner to see if it's square. Your vertical rails might be out of alignment.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #7

I have this issue and just thought it was normal. I just give it a tug and it works fine after that. Now I have to investigate and see if the alignment is off.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Had this same problem on my 26 xd. would have to pull on the front arm so it would start to unroll. When I had it to a local rv guy for slide out toppers I told him and he got up on his high rolling ladder and took the screw out at the front awning track and pulled the fabric towards the front slightly and replaced the screw and has worked fine now for over a year.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
RWK

Our 2017 has had this issue since day 1. 6 or 7 trips to the dealer, they replaced the struts on the last visit. It worked great until last weekend. I think the awnings are crap. When I'm not busy working some day I will contact Jayco. I'm into my extended warranty now so maybe someone else can fix it better than my dealer did. Its very frustrating............................
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Carefree of Colorado? I'm not impressed at all. The material will not shed rain when adjusted to the steepest pitch, guess what happens then?

I've owned three fifth wheels before my Precept and all the awnings were much more substantial in both material and hardware.

I am on my third set of roller tube LED's so when the next set dies I'll be putting LED's on the coach body under the awning.

I guess C of C is who you choose for a supplier when trying to remain price competitive in the entry level market.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Add me to the list. Mine will not roll out on its own 75% of the time. The arm closest to the door gets caught on itself and needs to be pulled out by hand to get it started. It works great coming back in.

Not worth my time to take it back to the dealer.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote