Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Bad Water heater.

I own a new 2016 Jayco 31UL Precept with the tankless water heater. This week while camping the hot water heater stopped working. I am pretty tech savvy and handy with a wrench so I tried to see what was wrong. After looking at some youtube videos and reading all the information that came with the unit I couldn't find anything. I checked the circuit breaker button in the unit and all the fuses in my unit. Note: no fuse is marked water heater and neither Jayco service or my dealer knew what fuse it was and think it is the one marked ODS Slideout Lights but not sure. The heater has a LED light that is supposed to flash out a code and tell you what is wrong but again no code. After much checking and jumping wires I found the trouble was in the flow valve. After removing the flow valve " not an easy thing due to its location " I realised the magnet in it had come out and was lodged somewhere in my water lines and without this magnet it couldn't operate the micro switch which tells the unit to turn on. As far as the unit was concerned nothing was wrong so no lights flashed. After four days of no hot water my new part arrived but of course it was wrong. I did however remove that magnet and glue it into the old valve to jury rig it into working. Before replacing the valve I turned on the water which made a horrible mess but was able to blow the old magnet back out the water tube. I reinstalled the valve and it worked. I don't know how long this will last but I am hoping Jayco will send me the right valve and hope that last more than four months. I think I will be replacing this heater with the old reliable 6 gallon gas and electric one. If anyone wants to be safe turn on your water heater and start pulling fuses to see which one it is on your unit. I was told by a reliable source that when the unit is installed they grab any fuse that is close. The unit also calls for a 10 amp fuse but if you look in your fuse box you have no 10 fuses, only 15, 25,30. Just thought I would share. Have a great day.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

We too have a '16 Precept 31UL and had intermittent hot water heater issues until I had a tech check it and he quickly found out that the gas valve was a 'known defect issue' with the manufacturer, Girard. He found tis by talking to a tech rep at Girard who told him this is a "known defect" and they are sending out replacement valves when requested. My tech requested, took a couple weeks to get here but then replaced gas valve and so far so good - seems to be operating properly.
Thanks for the tip on the fuse matter, I'll be checking my directly, and good luck!
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote