Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #1

batteries not charging while driving?

2018 Jayco Alante 26X. Just installed 2 new Duracell 27M flooded deep cycle batteries in parallel. Got home from an 8 hour trip and the batteries were not showing as full. They should have been charging while we drove, should they not?

With the engine on I'm getting a reading of 13.5 on the multimeter. Seems like it should be higher (the interwebs indicate 13.6-14.6), and maybe it's not actually charging? The "car" battery is reading like 14.6 with the engine on.

What might be the problem here? thoughts?
CliffLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:17 PM   #2

Cliff...what is your definition of "full" 12V, 13V?
I would check the simplest items first.
a) Cable connections - clean and tight? ( at both places - up front near the engine/Chassis connection and out back where the coach batteries reside
b) Fuses - did anything get "touched" to ground and cause a spark when the new batteries got installed?
c) did you leave something "on" that would cause the voltage at the coach batteries to be less full?
I attached a schematic for a 2019 Alante 26x...it may help in your trouble shooting efforts...hth
elecscmatic.pdf
Old 05-10-2024, 01:28 PM   #3

Ive never gotten much of a charge thru 7 way plug. Look into DC to DC charger
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:27 PM   #4

It's a class A. I don't think there should be a 7 pin connector involved.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:06 PM   #5

Cliff- FWIW, when I drive without the genny running my most significant coach battery load, I believe, is the residential fridge .......... as it's busy making ice cubes etc whilst drawing about 175 watts from the inverter (= about 15 or 16 amps from the coach batteries.) Still, when the day is done, my coach batteries are fully charged; i.e., they read 12.6 or 12.7 volts. So the big ol' Ford alternator is, in fact, keeping the coach batteries charged....... no sweat.

The schematics Deznut provided (thanks, BTW..... gonna file those) seem to show the charging ckt is the same for the Alante and my rig. SOooo I think things should work the same. I seem to recall someone having to replace the BIM to cure a no-charge issue but don't recall the details...... pretty rare me thinks.

Good luck with the fix, and safe travels.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:28 AM   #6

My error
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:34 PM   #7

Another input for you, Cliff- I went to the storage lot today to de-winterize my rig and just to get some numbers, I turned on the fridge and let it run (+ all the house lights) for about 1-1/2 hours off the coach batteries to drain them down a bit (so I could check the charging voltage at the “bulk rate”.) I turned off all the loads and started the Ford. It was charging the house batteries at 14.2 volts measured at the coach batteries. I shut the Ford down and started the Onan. The Onan>convertor was charging the batteries at 14.1 volts. So it looks like the Ford (even at idle) charges the house batteries at the same rate as the Onan ……….. at least on my rig (and I believe our charging schemes are identical, hardware-wise.)

By the way, my (used/consignment) rig came with some pretty pricey Harris 6v batteries wired in series and they would not take a full charge. I suspect the PO murdered them. I now have the exact same batteries as you bought …. wired in parallel. They have been doing well for almost 2 years now.

Sorry no suggestions for a fix but perhaps the data here will help some.

Best.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote