Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Battery Charging During Long-Term Storage

I apologize as I'm sure the following questions have been asked and answered a million times, but for the life of me a search on the term "batteries" turns up nothing ... so here goes:

My goal is to keep both batteries (House & Chassis) charged so they won’t die while the RV is in storage. (For the record, I have 2 House batteries wired together, but I'm referring to them as the House battery.)
I don’t have access to power to run a trickle charger.
Nor do I currently have Solar Panels, although I do have the pre-wiring for it.

Should I just run the generator once a month? Or How often?
Does the genny recharge both House and Chassis batteries?

What happens if I set the Auto Generator to run when the voltage is down to 11 volts? I suppose it will charge the House batteries but, again, will it also charge the Chassis battery?
P.S. I know that the House batteries can give the Chassis battery a boost if need be.

But will the Auto Gen work if I have the Power Switch to the RV turned off?

Alternatively, I could take the RV out of storage and drive it once a month or so (although I'd rather not). If I decide to run the generator or drive the RV once a month, how long should it take to get both the House and Chassis batteries back up to full charge?

Any clarification you all can give would be appreciated.
Thanks
dunk7105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

If your storage is uncovered I would just buy two solar battery chargers and attach them.

As example: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+bat...l_9f17fphgw5_b
Old 12-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #3

disconnect them. Take them out and bring them home and plug them into a tender...

Otherwise:

Make sure you disconnect the neg terminal on them before you leave it, you will come back to dead batteries... the generator will need to run quite a while to charge them back up.
if you are where it freezes then removing them is a must...
alternators in vehicles are not meant to recharge a almost dead battery...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk7105 View Post
I apologize as I'm sure the following questions have been asked and answered a million times, but for the life of me a search on the term "batteries" turns up nothing ... so here goes:

My goal is to keep both batteries (House & Chassis) charged so they won’t die while the RV is in storage. (For the record, I have 2 House batteries wired together, but I'm referring to them as the House battery.)
I don’t have access to power to run a trickle charger.
Nor do I currently have Solar Panels, although I do have the pre-wiring for it.

Should I just run the generator once a month? Or How often?
Does the genny recharge both House and Chassis batteries?

What happens if I set the Auto Generator to run when the voltage is down to 11 volts? I suppose it will charge the House batteries but, again, will it also charge the Chassis battery?
P.S. I know that the House batteries can give the Chassis battery a boost if need be.

But will the Auto Gen work if I have the Power Switch to the RV turned off?

Alternatively, I could take the RV out of storage and drive it once a month or so (although I'd rather not). If I decide to run the generator or drive the RV once a month, how long should it take to get both the House and Chassis batteries back up to full charge?

Any clarification you all can give would be appreciated.
Thanks
Long storage for my location is 6 months. I take my batteries out and store them at home on a battery tender. That is more economical than letting them go flat and having to replace.
Drivecleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:25 AM   #5

Since you only have the 2 - 6v and single 12v battery, take them home and put on a battery tender. Keep the 2 - 6v wired in series and serve them like any single 12v battery.

I'd suggest this one, @ bank Battery Tender model: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...s%2C574&sr=8-9

Mark
Old 12-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

Look at the soligizer by pulse tech, just another idea.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging