Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Battery Charging / Off Season Options ? Alante 31V 2017

Good Morning Jayco People!

We have a 2017 Alante 31V, and I am looking for some definitive information regarding the batteries/charging system, and winter storage.

1. When plugged in, does the system trickle charge and maintain the house and chassis batteries?

2. Do I need a separate battery maintainer on the Chassis, or the House?

3. What do I need to do here for optimal results?
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

I used BatteryMinder brand chargers/maintainers on my Class C. One for each battery on a extension cord protected from the weather in 2-3 gal buckets with lids or under the hood laying on the engine. No problems.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, I may go that route, but I'd like to know if the existing charging system that is on the Alante will handle the charging/maintenance of the batteries, or if I need to use external systems.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

I was able to reach my local dealer and was told the following:

1. If I plug in the house, leave the switch on, the batteries will be 'maintained' all off season. This will NOT affect the chassis battery however. It was recommended that after it is fully charged, I pull the negative terminal on the chassis. Another option is to run a separate Battery Tender device for the chassis battery, and leave it hooked up to the chassis.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

Before you make the final decision on how to proceed, look thru the forums here and you'll see numerous comments/threads about owners leaving their units plugged in to use the on board charger and their batteries end up boiling dry, dead etc.

The price of a BatteryMinder is cheaper than a new battery IMO, and you have to do something for the chassis battery, it's just as easy to rig one up for the house battery as well. I've never lost a battery using the BatteryMinder, in the Class C we had or the 4 batteries I have in my boat. The cranking battery in the '08 Class C was the original battery when we bought it used in 14, and was weak. A BatteryMinder brought it back to life and was going strong when we traded it in early 2018. I did keep it plugged up when stored at the house.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote