Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Battery tender question

We have a 2015 Jayco Precept 35UN purchased it used. We store it near our home covered with a 110 volt gfi plug in. I have tried every way to plug it in to it and it trips the gfi. It is the power converter when i shut off all the the breakers and turn the one breaker on (power converter) it trips. Anyway thats a different topic. Anyway I need to keep my house batteries up, I have not run it for about a week now batteries were dead. Started up the engine (generator will not start). Batteries charged up OK so my question is has anyone used a battery tender to keep them charged.
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #2

You likely need a minimum of a 30 amp circuit to plug in the coach.

Your converter/charger should maintain the house batteries once plugged in.

If your converter/charger doesn't also maintain the chassis battery you might consider installing a Trik-L-Start connecting the converter/charger (house batteries) to the chassis battery to maintain it as well.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
MrG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpey View Post
We have a 2015 Jayco Precept 35UN purchased it used. We store it near our home covered with a 110 volt gfi plug in. I have tried every way to plug it in to it and it trips the gfi. It is the power converter when i shut off all the the breakers and turn the one breaker on (power converter) it trips. Anyway thats a different topic. Anyway I need to keep my house batteries up, I have not run it for about a week now batteries were dead. Started up the engine (generator will not start). Batteries charged up OK so my question is has anyone used a battery tender to keep them charged.
i mounted a separate 5amp battery tender in the battery bay that i plug into while storing no more dead batteries or tripped gfi's
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

final questions on battery tender

thanks to everyone on replying. It seems lately that the house batteries only hold their charge for a day or so while parked in storage. here are my are my questions
I always shut the the disconnect off when I leave is there something that would draw down the batteries used to be that it would hold for quite a bit before discharging.

If I run the generator does that charge the batteries back up

also if i start the rv it seems to charge them probably not fully but enough to get the displays to come on and generator will crank.

finally if I leave the disconnect switch in the off position will it still charge the house batteries again thanks for all your help this site is a real saver for me there are a lot of smart people out there.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpey View Post
thanks to everyone on replying. It seems lately that the house batteries only hold their charge for a day or so while parked in storage. here are my are my questions
I always shut the the disconnect off when I leave is there something that would draw down the batteries used to be that it would hold for quite a bit before discharging.

If I run the generator does that charge the batteries back up

also if i start the rv it seems to charge them probably not fully but enough to get the displays to come on and generator will crank.

finally if I leave the disconnect switch in the off position will it still charge the house batteries again thanks for all your help this site is a real saver for me there are a lot of smart people out there.
The batteries may be due for replacement. Have them tested.

Running the generator for several hours may fully charge the batteries. This is typically how long it takes.

Usually the manufacturer wires in a few systems directly to the batteries for safety such as the detectors and steps and the disconnect switch does not include those.

If you cannot plug in while in storage or run the generator for extended periods a few times per week given the batteries are properly holding a charge, fully charge them and disconnect the ground circuit.
Many owners would also suggest removing them and storing them inside for the winter in some areas.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
MrG

hey stimpey
heres where i mounted the tender, no more dead batteries...
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

hey thanks G so I just got mine from amazon 12v 5amp so did you do any thing special on the connections other than use the fusable connector that came with they are in parallel 2 positive 2 neg posts which posts did you use If you could take a photo that would be great also I assume you shut off the battery cut out when charging
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #8
MrG

i just used the wiring harness that came with the charger and connect to the battery closest to the charger both batteries will get charged i don't shut off the cutout since the charging is automated....batteries are balanced while charging checked with a meter.....
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
You likely need a minimum of a 30 amp circuit to plug in the coach.

Your converter/charger should maintain the house batteries once plugged in.

If your converter/charger doesn't also maintain the chassis battery you might consider installing a Trik-L-Start connecting the converter/charger (house batteries) to the chassis battery to maintain it as well.
I'm an electrician and own a Precept and they don't need 30 amps when they are stored. A 15 or 20 non GFI circuit will be just fine.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #10

Costco has 3amp Battery Tenders for $39.99 right now. I have two banks of batteries my 2 house batteries that I maintain with a 3 amp Battery Tender and a 25 amp NOCO Genius for my two Group J185 batteries.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I'm an electrician and own a Precept and they don't need 30 amps when they are stored. A 15 or 20 non GFI circuit will be just fine.
Likely then the problem was the owner connecting to a GFI circuit.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Likely then the problem was the owner connecting to a GFI circuit.
Yes, if anywhere in the ground and neutral are bonded together and there is current on the neutral it will cause a GFI to trip. Hopefully anyone who uses a non-GFI receptacle for the RV power does not use it for other purposes because there would be no personal protection from shock. Common sense has to prevail over the code violation. They do make portable GFI pigtails that can be plugged into the non GFI receptacle which would make the RV receptacle more useful. This method is used for construction on a regular basis.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I just use a couple "dog bones" to knock my 50 amp plug down to a 20 amp and plug the MH into an outlet in my garage when home. Charges everything fine.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote