Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Behavior of the F53’s Transmission

Our 2017 Precept 31UL has reached 10,000 miles. Recently, in driving in the mountains, we have noticed what seems like an inappropriate behavior of the Ford F53’s transmission, and I’m wondering if there are others of you who have seen the same thing and thought it to be a legitimate issue.

Ascending a steep grade, there are upshifts where rpm will settle in at 3000, even 4000, which seems normal enough. But after reaching the summit and starting down, there are no downshifts when it seems that there ought to be. RPM can stay as high as 4000 for an extended distance even if, using the brakes, you’ve slowed the vehicle down to, say, 45 mph.

Delayed downshifting can be experienced in less dramatic scenarios as well.

Does this behavior of the transmission seem “normal” to you folks? Has Ford acknowledged something like that as being a problem that has a fix?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

I always use tow mode in the mountains or on steep hills. When I think it's taking too long to upshift on the decent I turn off tow mode and it will upshift right away.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I always use tow mode in the mountains or on steep hills. When I think it's taking too long to upshift on the decent I turn off tow mode and it will upshift right away.
X2
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
X3
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
X4
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
RWK

When starting a downgrade while towing (6% or greater) I set my speed at 40 and set the cruise control. The tow haul is on and the cruise control does a pretty good job at about 46 miles per hour it will downshift for me. If the speed picks up because of the steepness of the grade I engage the breaks to keep it in the lower gears. (I then hit resume on the cruise control and begin the process again/if its a long grade) Its a bit of a dance, but through trial and error we have found what works for us. I think most of us start the down grade at too great a speed and then expect miracles from the transmission. Go slow and enjoy the trip.......
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote