Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Beware of Jayco

Just got off the phone with Jayco Customer service and what a disappointment. Bought a brand new 2016 Jayco Precept with Seiki TVs. The TVs don't work in any of the RV parks that I have been too. Jayco says they dont know anything about it. Turns out that they have replaced TVs for multiple people on this site. They do know about the Seiki TVs that have no tuner in them. I spent over 100k on a motor home that the TV's don't work where I use my motor home and Jayco refuses to make it right.
I will replace the TVs myself and never do business with Jayco again
Happyhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

It’s a 2016 so have you had it for 3 years now? You didn’t mention warranty.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhowie View Post
Bought a brand new 2016 Jayco Precept with Seiki TVs. The TVs don't work in any of the RV parks that I have been too.
Sorry, but your post is very vague. Coming to a forum with a rant that doesn't have much detail isn't going to help you very much. Also, did it take you 3 years to discover this?

Do the TVs work at home? Where are these locations? Many areas do not have good reception. It may be something more needs to be done to pull in stations.

EDIT: I just looked this up. Odd that Seiki TVs didn't come with QAM Tuners. You could simply get a conversion box. Bit of a pain, or you could replace them with better quality TVs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
They do know about the Seiki TVs that have no tuner in them.
Many cable providers did not go "ALL DIGITAL" until 2018, SPECTRUM is one (Formerly TIME WARNER or BRIGHT HOUSE) the TV that was put in your MH would have worked fine had the way the RV parks provide their cable signal not changed. The quote below is from March 2018.

Lately, many of the communities in our area have been getting letters from Spectrum (previously Time Warner, one of the two principle cable providers in our area) about an impending change of service. The letter reads (in part): “To deliver even more value to you, we are converting your TV service to a 100-percent digital format. You will be required to have a digital receiver on each TV in your home by (date varies).

So how is it JAYCO's fault?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Believe me when I say I'm not a Jayco fanboy. I like my Jayco, and accept it for what it is. And isn't.

But, HappyHowie, you just made your first post a slight incoherent rant. Get a grip, already.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

I have had the motor home for 2.5 years. This is my first motor home. Most of the camping I do is boondocking. The TVs work fine over the air. When I took it to a RV park that is when I found out that they didn't work on cable. Called dealer and they said to turn off booster. Next time I went to park I turned off the booster, still no cable. Went online and found problem. Seiki TVs don't have a CATV tuner in them. I guess I expected Jayco to make it right.
Happyhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Seiki TVs don't have a CATV tuner in them. I guess I expected Jayco to make it right.
They may not have a "DIGITAL" turner in them. As I posted above the switch to all digital was not until 2018 in most cases. Prior to that the CATV signal in RV parks was analog and they would have worked fine.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

Is there a model # on these TVs?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Are you switching your input cable to the correct outlet for the cable TV instead of the antenna? In every RV I've owned, the antenna jack and cable TV are different.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Seiki TVs don't have a CATV tuner in them. I guess I expected Jayco to make it right.
I'm not sure where to start.

#1 Its been 3.5 years, against a 2 year warranty. I wouldn't have expected anything from Jayco
#2 Its an issue with Seiki, the manufacturer of the TV, not Jayco. I wouldn't have expected anything from Jayco.
#3 Its not broken, it is just a feature that this particular television doesn't offer. I wouldn't have expected anything from Jayco.
#4 You can either buy a digital tuner you can add yourself or simply add a streaming device (Roku, Firestick, etc). I wouldn't have expected anything from Jayco.
#5 At some point, the consumer has to do at least a little research and know what they are buying and accept responsibility for their decision. My Jayflight has a small water heater, but its perfectly fine for 2 quick consecutive showers. Shame on me if I bought it, used it for 3.5 years and then started to complain that I can't fill up my portable jacuzzi with it. It was designed for a specific purpose, and it works for that purpose. I wouldn't have expected anything from Jayco.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #11

OOF! Rough crowd.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Believe me when I say I'm not a Jayco fanboy. I like my Jayco, and accept it for what it is. And isn't.

But, HappyHowie, you just made your first post a slight incoherent rant. Get a grip, already.
I agree with Siamese. Why can't the first time posters at least start out their post with something a bit more positive like, " This is my first post and I have owned my Jayco (whatever) for 2 years and just realized that (whatever) doesn't work. Has anybody else had this problem?" ...instead of a negative rant?

Sorry, Howie. Maybe you don't deserve the harsh welcome but coming here just to rant raises a few hackles with the regular posters.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #13

If you've had your Jayco for 2.5 years and are just now calling them about the TV's what do you expect?? Warranty is 2 years to the original owner and by your own statement you are 1/2 year OUT of warranty. Don't go blaming Jayco when it seems they are not the problem!!
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I have had the motor home for 2.5 years. This is my first motor home. Most of the camping I do is boondocking. The TVs work fine over the air. When I took it to a RV park that is when I found out that they didn't work on cable. Called dealer and they said to turn off booster. Next time I went to park I turned off the booster, still no cable. Went online and found problem. Seiki TVs don't have a CATV tuner in them. I guess I expected Jayco to make it right.
UnHappyhowie - I discovered this issue in February of 2017 while my 2016 Precept 35US was still within warranty, and Jayco made it right. For me and a few others but all were within the warranty period.

The Seiki TV's have digital tuners for over the air reception. They will not tune analog cable systems, which are the norm in a lot of older campgrounds. As campgrounds install updated equipment they will be using digital protocol which I believe will work with the Seiki TV's. Most campgrounds that we frequent have older analog cable systems.

When I changed out my TV's I could not find brand name TV's in the same dimensions as the original Seiki. The kitchen and bedroom TV's required drilling new holes in the mounts. The outside TV was a bear because the mounting holes end up behind the end edges of the TV.

Good luck with whatever your decision might be.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #15

Go satellite. Works great boondocking as well as in campgrounds. Much better channel selection.

Before I went satellite in my 2017 Greyhawk I used the over the air digital antenna. My first usage was at Glamis sand dunes in Southern California which is off the beaten path for major TV reception. The majority of stations we received were Spanish.

There was some football game my family wanted to watch at the time and it was in Spanish only. We actually had a great time watching it and shouting OLE with each touchdown just like the announcers. It was a unique and fun family experience that we still joke about.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #16

This thread was awesome.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #17
Site Team

When we want to watch something, we pop some popcorn, pull our chairs up to the campfire, and watch other folks coming into the campground, backing in, then getting levelled and set up. It's just like watching TV. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and sometimes scary.
No TV in ours...but by choice.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
When we want to watch something, we pop some popcorn, pull our chairs up to the campfire, and watch other folks coming into the campground, backing in, then getting levelled and set up. It's just like watching TV. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and sometimes scary.
No TV in ours...but by choice.
Lol.....I resemble that comment this evening. It took me 3 tries to get it in our site tonight.
Neighbors put up Tiki torches along the road directly across from us, really making it tough to back in. Of course, it would probably have been more entertaining if I would have wiped out 3 or 4 of them in the process.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
Site Team

" Of course, it would probably have been more entertaining if I would have wiped out 3 or 4 of them in the process.[/QUOTE]

The good thing is, scorch marks will buff right out!

We've all had our good and not-so-good times parking. The best thing is the DW won't try to tell me how to back in, just if I'm going to HIT something.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:39 AM   #20

Last time out I paid the guy $20 next door to back it in for me after 3 unsuccessful tries by me. Space was tight so it was worth it.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
35s, custom service, seiki tvs