Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Black tank rinse leak

This was our 3rd time out this spring, the first 2 I found water in the bathroom vanity drawers when we returned home. Couldn't figure it out, tightened the plumbing under the sink which was a tad loose.
Well today I was outside with the dogs when hubby was dumping/flushing the black tank and there was water dripping from several exterior points. I went in and sure enough water on the bathroom floor and once again in the drawers.
Question: Do you suppose this tank flush should have been winterized? Maybe it froze and is producing the water issue?
We'll climb under it later this week and figure out why it leaks this year and didn't last year.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

The tank flush should at least be blown out with air. With that said it's very doubtful that is what is causing the leak. The black tank flush is usually in the underbelly.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

There is an anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush system. Ours is under the sink in the bathroom. Sometimes those valves stick or are defective. Have someone watch inside the vanity the next time you use the black tank flush.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Ours is under the sink in the bathroom.
Never too old to learn something new, but it is sure a weird place for it. Everyone I've accessed or repaired the anti siphon was right before the flush, at the tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

We had the unit winterized by the dealer because the country fill did not work, we couldn't get the anti-freeze into the system. Thought the dealer would take care of all the areas that needed to be winterized. It's a new issue. Just hoping for a few options to solve it.
Didn't have such issues with the past 2 travel trailers that had black flush on them.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #6

Cut the anti-symphon valve out. Trust me. Out of all 8 rigs we've had, 7 of the valves have leaked. Most will disagree with my deleting the valve, but I don't have leaks. The valves have to be mounted above toilet level and are usually in the most inconvenient places. Under sink, inside a wall, behind a tv are just a few places I've had them leak. Not worth the hassle for their function. Cut them out, use a designated hose, never worry about leaks.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Never too old to learn something new, but it is sure a weird place for it. Everyone I've accessed or repaired the anti siphon was right before the flush, at the tank.
Oops! I defer to your experience.

I was stating what I believe I read on this site. I'll have to double check what I found in a water line under our sink. Whatever that device is, at least doesn't leak.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Cut the anti-symphon valve out. Trust me. Out of all 8 rigs we've had, 7 of the valves have leaked. Most will disagree with my deleting the valve, but I don't have leaks. The valves have to be mounted above toilet level and are usually in the most inconvenient places. Under sink, inside a wall, behind a tv are just a few places I've had them leak. Not worth the hassle for their function. Cut them out, use a designated hose, never worry about leaks.
I agree (somewhat). The check valves installed are of lesser quality and go out periodically. Removing them completely is an option. However, you can also purchase a check valve to use on the hose end in order to prevent any back flow into a potable water connection. That's what I would do for the people who camp after me.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

I've done that as well, but, the way we clean the tank, there is no way for anything to siphon back to the hose when the tank is empty. Hard to explain without pictures of our set up and actually showing how we do it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

We just camped for the first time in our new 16xrb and used the black tank flush. We were so careful dumping our first time. Imagine my shock when I saw water leaking from the other side of the camper and a puddle inside running from under the sink, to under the shower and out the side near the door. Water was coming out from under the sink exactly where you say this valve is. So much for the dealer testing everything thoroughly like they said they did.
sherimckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

We replaced our leaking valve under the sink from this,

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-3...vacuum+breaker

To this one with no leaks

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-57...vacuum+breaker

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
We replaced our leaking valve under the sink from this,

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-3...vacuum+breaker

To this one with no leaks

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-57...vacuum+breaker

Hope this helps.
We have the black one on our Pinnacle and it just let loose. Can't win with these things

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote