Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #1

Blow Out I40

Careful out there........Coming back from SC 32 miles from the New Mexico state line on I 40 Texas mile marker 32 ......... blow out inner rear. Damage sustained to the exhaust pipe but was able to get home after getting a new tire and cutting off the tail pipe that got tangled up in the mess. Glad it did not take out the drive shaft. I saw another Class A later that evening in New Mexico on the east bound lane with the tire blown out on I40
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1636.JPG   IMG_1614.jpg   IMG_1637.JPG   IMG_1615.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #2

First off I'm glad no one was hurt. The other issues can be repaired.

Did you have a TPMS system? If so, was there any alarm prior to the failure?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #3

Thank you all is well, one of those holy sh... moments. Yes, I have the tire minder sensors on all tires, the blow out happened without any warning of any loss of pressure. It was just loud bang and a quick shake, the monitor alerted as soon as the bang happened. I was travelling about 68 mph when it happened and was able to slow and pull over rather quickly. Fortunately, I was just about to pass a rest stop by the time I got it stopped and pulled over, i was able to slowly creep it back in reverse to a safe level area near the exit of the rest stop. Just glad it happened in the day time, near a safe place and within striking distancing of a rescue repair company out of Amarillo. I have the Good Sam's emergency road service with the tire replacement coverage and they were there within 1 hour and half. The repair man showed me an area on the tire where he believed something in the road sliced into the inner wall lower part of the tire. You can see it in the photo where the blowout occurred. In the photo you can see the exhaust pipe crimped shut and it is suppose to be facing out from under the carriage not underneath the carriage. Used a cutting tool to cut it open to get exhaust to move out. Used wire to secure the pipe and muffler as it broke one of the hangers and the pipe was bent. Ran another 250 miles with it and no more issues. Just glad we are safe and got it home
Old 11-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #4

What was the date on the tires?
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

If you zoom in on the first picture you can see the DOT # 4013. 40th week 2013.
How many miles were on these tires?

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

Looks like I will be buying new tires for my Precept next season. Mine are from 2014.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
If you zoom in on the first picture you can see the DOT # 4013. 40th week 2013.
How many miles were on these tires?
I am not sure, I was told this is the second set of tires since 2014. The original came with continentals. These are Goodyear, I have put about 13k miles on them. I had them inspected last year and the tire man said the others were good and had plenty of tread. He checked the others at the blow out and advised they appeared good. I don't trust that advice with the date listed 2013. Below I took a photo of the other tires tread for the tire reimbursement coverage. I will be replacing the others next week. For now it is parked, until i get that completed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1618.JPG  
Old 11-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

Don’t run tires over 6 years old. When they get hot they will fail. When the rubber starts cracking open moisture gets to the steel and then separation or boom!!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttlanders View Post
Don’t run tires over 6 years old. When they get hot they will fail. When the rubber starts cracking open moisture gets to the steel and then separation or boom!!

Actually, Discount Tire people that I deal with recommend no more that 4 years with good brand tires. RVs sit too long much of the time and dry rot gets them much sooner than you think. 2013 or 14 is way too old a tire for me to leave on my rig.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #10

Goodyear only warranties these tires for 5-7 years.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:

Figure I got lucky......thanks 5 year will be my limit for the future.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:

That does not mean they are safe that long. If you live through the crash with the blowout you can collect new tires from them.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #13

I just replaced all of my tires at 5.5 years, expensive? yep, but I would rather be safe, besides we are doing the Alaska thing next summer. I replaced the Goodyear G670's with Toyo M143's of the same size. Don't have many miles on them yet but they are smoother and a lot quieter than the Goodyears. I really hated getting rid of the Goodyear tires as they looked brand new, I always cover my tires when parked and use Uv protection on them, I have had one blowout in 15 years and don't want another.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #14

I started with the mindset that tire replacement is expensive until I read about the damage tire failure causes. Now I think it is cheap compared to the mechanical and medical bills that can occur after the fact!

Gary
stuts35gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #15

For maximum tire life I recommend using Aerospace 303 protectant and always use tire covers when in storage or not being driven. I even put the covers on if I was camping in 1 spot for more than 3 days. Over kill, maybe.

I have done this since buying a new Monaco class A back in 2003. I got 7 1/2 years on those Michelin 22.5" tires and the installer remarked how good of condition they still were in.

I changed them just to be on the safe side.

Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had a blowout on the 5 RV's I've owned from 1996.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
For maximum tire life I recommend using Aerospace 303 protectant and always use tire covers when in storage or not being driven. I even put the covers on if I was camping in 1 spot for more than 3 days. Over kill, maybe.

I have done this since buying a new Monaco class A back in 2003. I got 7 1/2 years on those Michelin 22.5" tires and the installer remarked how good of condition they still were in.

I changed them just to be on the safe side.

Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had a blowout on the 5 RV's I've owned from 1996.
So you spray 303 on the tires? Just asking, a lot of this is new to me but I have some I have used on the AC covers topside and plastic pieces on the side of the RV. It will only take a few minutes to spray the tires, very interesting
Old 11-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
So you spray 303 on the tires? Just asking, a lot of this is new to me but I have some I have used on the AC covers topside and plastic pieces on the side of the RV. It will only take a few minutes to spray the tires, very interesting
10-4 Obviously you can't get to the inside dually but the 303 and tire covers will definitely help with protecting the outside tire from UV rays from the sun and the ozone.

I spray the tires and wipe the rubber with a cloth.

It's great UV protection for rubber, plastic, and fiberglass.

My understanding is that some other tire care products have silicone and petroleum disttilates in them, which actually dry out the rubber in the tires.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #18

Change tires mor often

I buy new RV tires every 5 years regardless of what the tread looks like. Never had a blow out.

I put new tires on my daily driver when Lincoln’s hair starts showing. Never had a blow out.

Just saying.
fillwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillwa View Post
I buy new RV tires every 5 years regardless of what the tread looks like. Never had a blow out.

I put new tires on my daily driver when Lincoln’s hair starts showing. Never had a blow out.

Just saying.
My only point is this stuff and tire covers will help slow the deterioration of the tires.

We all make our own decisions on what path to go down.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Careful out there........Coming back from SC 32 miles from the New Mexico state line on I 40 Texas mile marker 32 ......... blow out inner rear. Damage sustained to the exhaust pipe but was able to get home after getting a new tire and cutting off the tail pipe that got tangled up in the mess. Glad it did not take out the drive shaft. I saw another Class A later that evening in New Mexico on the east bound lane with the tire blown out on I40

That failure looks like a belt separation which is usually the result of age and road impact. TPMS will not warn about belt separations. I know of no consumer related technology that will warn of an impending belt separation. These can sometimes be discovered with a close and thorough inspection each year by a representative of the tire manufacturer starting at year 5. "Free Spin" inspection is not easy to do an a Class-A and is more difficult on the rear than on the fronts.
You need to send a complaint to NHTSA along with the COMPLETE DOT serial including the 4 digit date part. Also the vehicle VIN.