Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Buyer Beware! 2020 & 2021 Jayco w/ Ford F53 Chassis 7.3 Gas V8

July 12th we bought a new 2020 Jayco 34G surprisingly with the new Ford F53 chassis. This chassis was suppose to be in production for the 2021 models, but Jayco apparently ran out of the old Ford V10's and started 2020 production with the new chassis. Sceptical as I was, I decided to go thru with the transaction and take my chances with the new F53 chassis and V8 engine. That was a big mistake.

With 2000 miles on it and most of that being delivery to Texas we set out the next week on our first road trip to test her out. 400 miles out the check engine light comes and the engine is misfiring with no power. We are finally able to crawl into a Knoxville Ford Dealer were they confirmed that (2) cylinders were out with burnt coils, plugs and wires. That was on Friday 07/17/2020. And as I write this note 08/04/2020 the brand new RV still is sitting there waiting for (2) new 7.3 V8 spark plug wires. The Ford dealer and Ford Warranty Department claim (and I have confirmed) these plug wires do not exist in any Ford parts depot or dealer in the entire United States. They say, hopefully they will have some in September. We had to empty out and throw away all our food, pack up our clothes and drive a rental car back to Houston.

To make matters worse, I have been pleading with Ford Warranty to also replace the other (6) coils and wires since they know "full well" that they will probably also fail once it's repaired and I get back on the road. And I'll have to go thru this all again. But they won't cover the other cylinders till they fail.

So at this point I'm really frustrated and wish I could just get out of this deal with the Jayco dealer and starting over. Or thinking about getting a lawyer and looking into any lemon law possibilities. I'm just not too happy with this new Ford 7.3 liter engine. Not a good way to start out. Any suggestions?
DougTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTX View Post
July 12th we bought a new 2020 Jayco 34G surprisingly with the new Ford F53 chassis. This chassis was suppose to be in production for the 2021 models, but Jayco apparently ran out of the old Ford V10's and started 2020 production with the new chassis. Sceptical as I was, I decided to go thru with the transaction and take my chances with the new F53 chassis and V8 engine. That was a big mistake.

With 2000 miles on it and most of that being delivery to Texas we set out the next week on our first road trip to test her out. 400 miles out the check engine light comes and the engine is misfiring with no power. We are finally able to crawl into a Knoxville Ford Dealer were they confirmed that (2) cylinders were out with burnt coils, plugs and wires. That was on Friday 07/17/2020. And as I write this note 08/04/2020 the brand new RV still is sitting there waiting for (2) new 7.3 V8 spark plug wires. The Ford dealer and Ford Warranty Department claim (and I have confirmed) these plug wires do not exist in any Ford parts depot or dealer in the entire United States. They say, hopefully they will have some in September. We had to empty out and throw away all our food, pack up our clothes and drive a rental car back to Houston.

To make matters worse, I have been pleading with Ford Warranty to also replace the other (6) coils and wires since they know "full well" that they will probably also fail once it's repaired and I get back on the road. And I'll have to go thru this all again. But they won't cover the other cylinders till they fail.

So at this point I'm really frustrated and wish I could just get out of this deal with the Jayco dealer and starting over. Or thinking about getting a lawyer and looking into any lemon law possibilities. I'm just not too happy with this new Ford 7.3 liter engine. Not a good way to start out. Any suggestions?
So sorry for your troubles. I can't imagine going through that! I don't know what your legal rights are but I'd be seeking an attorney. Have you had any luck with Jayco? I know the dealer is not gonna do anything but I'd be talking to the General manager also. Even if I got nowhere with any of them I'd feel a little better. I'd be camped out by the dealership with picket signs til they hauled my ass to jail. Unbelievable!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
So sorry for your troubles. I can't imagine going through that! I don't know what your legal rights are but I'd be seeking an attorney. Have you had any luck with Jayco? I know the dealer is not gonna do anything but I'd be talking to the General manager also. Even if I got nowhere with any of them I'd feel a little better. I'd be camped out by the dealership with picket signs til they hauled my ass to jail. Unbelievable!
It's not a JAYCO or RV dealer issue it's a FORD issue and it will affect all the MH builders, just like the early V-10's that blew plugs. How is JAYCO going to make it better when all they have is the new FORD chassis with the new V-8? There are no V-10's left. Reminds me of when FORD dropped the International Diesel.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #4

Believe me, I've been all of this. Straight to Jayco thinking they could pull some wires off a chassis sitting in there yard waiting for production. That was while we were sitting in a hotel for 3 nights waiting for an outcome and they wouldn't do anything for us. Jayco is blaming Ford Motor because it's their chassis and it's a seperate warranty. Ford is blaming Jayco saying that Jayco may have left the chassis out in the rain for too long before production, thus corroding the wires and assemblies. Thus the issue. The RV Dealer is claiming it's not their fault, they just buy the RV's from Jayco. I even asked them if they could pull (2) wires off a RV in their lot with the same engine just to get me home and they wouldn't do it. Claiming their liability and pilgering other RV's they have on the lot that are owned and financed by the bank. They wouldn't do it either.

So we are stuck in the middle with everyone pointing fingers at each other. New York where the RV dealer is located has a lemon law that addresses the law if the vehicle/including motorhomes can not be repaired beyond 30 days. I may get a NY lawyer and try that route.

I just know what's going to happen when the other 6 cylinders blow. It's not pretty being stranded that way.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

Does Ford have a corporate customer care line? My Ram has been in the shop for two weeks and I’ve been having issues with the dealership, so I called Ram Care and all of a sudden the dealership was able to get the parts needed and had a better attitude handling their screw up. I’m sure Ford has a similar customer care program that might be able to help expedite getting the parts the dealership needs.
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

Angry

Yes, I first started with Ford Customer Care that the Ford dealer recommended, they then passed me to the Ford Warranty division whose working on it now. But since I'm not getting very far after 3 weeks, I probably need to go back to Ford Customer Care to see if there is anything they can do to push things along.
Ford Warranty department emailed me today and said, they still can't supply the required $18.77 plug wires, but will give me the next update 08/10/2020.
Geeezzzz.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

You probably already know this, but when you call back ask to talk to a supervisor. Try and talk to someone as high up as possible. Also let them know you’ve posted about this experience on a RV forum read by potential Ford/RV buyers and have been providing updates on the service you’ve been getting.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

Might try posting in the ford thuck enthusiast forum. Surely one of these engines/trucks has died early somewhere. I thought auto salvage businesses had some kind of nationwide locating network?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #9

First I have not had a new 7.3 ford in my shop. Butt looking at pics of the engine, The plug wires look very close to a Chevy 6.0 plug wires. I would take a 7.3 wire with me and see if it will fit a 6.0 Chevy coil. If so, see if the 6.0 wire is long enough. The Chevy coils and wires are very common.
Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #10

Believe me, when they come back into supply I'm buying (6) new Coils and (6) new plug wires and will have them installed myself at a local Ford Dealer. Even though Ford Warranty would not replace the remaining (6) coils and plug wires, they gave me a letter stating that this action if paid by myself would "not affect the remaining and existing warranty.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

if they are like the coils on the GM it is easy to replace them.... when they fail get a reader and replace them as they fail.. I can't believe you can't make a set of wires from scratch... they cannot be THAT special if they are I would be hard pressed to buy a 7.3 gas for towing... The 6.2l GM I had did the same thing... do they have metal insulators that protect the plug wire ends? When you get it back take each end off the coil and the plug and look for corrosion.. if there is some make them fix it...

Sorry for your troubles... you're intuition is good... darn it you just have to listen to it...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's not a JAYCO or RV dealer issue it's a FORD issue and it will affect all the MH builders, just like the early V-10's that blew plugs. How is JAYCO going to make it better when all they have is the new FORD chassis with the new V-8? There are no V-10's left. Reminds me of when FORD dropped the International Diesel.
I didn't post to debate. Was only posting my opinion and trying to show a little empathy for the OP. I've been there when I didn't listen to my gut. And when you spend that kind of money you shouldn't be left on the side of the road with a brand new vehicle.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #13

Ford must not be proud of their diesel then. Wonder why the gas?
Whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Help us all out here...

Why would Jayco wash their hands on one of the very first brand new Motorhomes with a brand new chassis they just adopted for their brand new lineup of Class C motor-homes??? Is that the new Jayco 2-3 warranty philosophy that they claim is such an "industry leader" ????

If this rig is so new, on a new chassis platform... why would Jayco blow off the customer like this?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsupchuck View Post
Ford must not be proud of their diesel then. Wonder why the gas?
Oh no they are all quite proud of their diesels... I mean really really really proud... at north of $80K just for a truck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

If this rig is so new, on a new chassis platform... why would Jayco blow off the customer like this?
How would JAYCO or the RV dealer provide FORD parts when FORD said they didn't have any available anywhere?

It's only new because that is all FORD is making, it's not like JAYCO made the switch or adopted it voluntarily. This is an industry wide change. The V-10 is not an option. Same applies to the E-450
Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #17

Quote:

x2. It's a Ford problem. Jayco doesn't make the chassis.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #18

It just sucks all around; regardless of who's at fault. OP has an unusable brand new RV.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Help us all out here...

Why would Jayco wash their hands on one of the very first brand new Motorhomes with a brand new chassis they just adopted for their brand new lineup of Class C motor-homes??? Is that the new Jayco 2-3 warranty philosophy that they claim is such an "industry leader" ????

The motorhome is the same and the chassis is the same. Ford and not Jayco decided to install the V8 in the F53 chassis instead of the V10.

Bottom line, it's a Ford problem and not a Jayco problem just like the current DEF heater issues with the Seneca are a Freightliner problem and not a Jayco problem.

Sounds like Ford pulled a military stunt by fielding a new power train without having adequate spares or spare parts in the supply chain. Also, keep in mind a lot of the industrial capacity was commandeered for making ventilators over the past six months.

I would suggest the OP read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and comply with the procedures listed therein. There should be a time limitation on Ford completing repairs under the act. Unless it has been modified in the past 5 years the time limit was 21 days.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Who cares what chassis in under the RV !! Jayco sold it to them, it should be up to Jayco to make things right.

If you buy a new house and the toilet leaks, are you going after the builder or the toilet manufacturer? Simple answer IMO.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote