Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Bypass water filter

Does anyone have a simple way to bypass the coach water filter in a 2018 Alante? I’d rather use an inline water filter, and not have to worry about removing the coach filter by having to unscrew and screw back in the canister every time I winterize or sanitize.
Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I bought 2-3way valves on my fifth wheel to allow me to bypass mine. As with many projects, I have not got to it yet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Remove the filter element and put the canister back empty?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

It’s recommended to remove the filter during the winterization process and empty the water from the canister. I don’t see how you accomplish that by simply bypassing it. Am I missing something in the description of your issue? Are you suggesting that you would eliminate your whole house filter?
Old 10-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

A couple of comments. It really isn't that hard to remove the filter from the canister to winterize and then start the season with a new filter. I have a 2018 Alante and I don't use the factory house filter anymore but it is a real pain to bypass it as all the plumbing are short pieces of PEX tubing in hard to reach locations. I installed a water softener in my water control bay with a 10" CLEAR canister filter in front of it. I want to filter out as much "stuff" as I can before it enters the softener. I simply removed the filter and screwed the empty canister back on my house filter so the water passes through. I did this so I would not lose psi and flow in my system with too much filtration. I like the clear canister so I can easily see how dirty the filter is at a glance. Works really well.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Team

My filter is a whole house filter mounted in the storage bay to a wall. The cannister is easy to change but when I want to flush the pipes or sanitize, I would not always need to change the filter element. Just a personal preference.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #7

My 2014 greyhawk has a canister water filter under the kitchen sink. The unit came with a short piece of clear tubing to use in order to bypass the canister when winterizing in order to keep the antifreeze out of the filter. I don't know how your system is configured, but that may be worth a look.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Remove the filter element and put the canister back empty?
Yes I know I can just remove the filter, then leave the canister empty. But when the empty canister fills up with antifreeze, it takes longer to flush all the pink stuff out. As it needs to cycle all of it out.

Anyways it’s not a big deal to live with, was just looking for a quick easy fix.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
It’s recommended to remove the filter during the winterization process and empty the water from the canister. I don’t see how you accomplish that by simply bypassing it. Am I missing something in the description of your issue? Are you suggesting that you would eliminate your whole house filter?
I would just use an exterior inline filter on my fresh water hose.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrick View Post
I would just use an exterior inline filter on my fresh water hose.
I get it. On my Precept, Jayco provided a short bypass hose with valves so I can easily winterize without the filter canister being in the loop.
If you want to eliminate the canister in favor of an exterior inline filter I would think that would be very doable. Perhaps other Alante owners could chime in but I would think it would be just a matter of cutting the water line on both sides of the canister and removing it. Then you would use a short piece of hose with connectors to install between the ends you just cut. You could do it with pex or regular hose similar to what is found in older RV’s. All the parts you would need could be found at Menards, Lowe’s, HD or just about any hardware store. If it would simplify your life and that’s what you really want then go for it.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #11

I use a winterizing bypass plate, it is stainless and can be left in full time.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-...-p/88-2435.htm
Attached Images