Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 AM   #1

cab ac not blowing cold

So we just finished a great 9 day trip in upstate NY. Went to Lake Placid and 1000 thousand islands. Stayed at two very nice KOAs. Our 2018 31UL was awesome. Performed perfectly. Except....

When we were driving from 1000 Islands to the Delaware Water Gap (also a very nice KOA) we noticed that the air conditioning from the cab was not very cool. It seemed to work great when we were stopped but while moving it did not. It did the same thing while driving back to Long Island yesterday. Any thoughts on what to look for?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #2

The little ac switch has been known to go bad or intermittent for some people.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #3

Since it is an 18 I hope it is under warranty.

There a couple of things to check. First, any chance your belt is loose and slipping? In park with the engine open try vrooming it a couple of times. Any squeal of a belt slipping.
Does the AC compressor pump ( the part that is run by the belt) go on and off when at idle or higher speeds. Have someone (in park!) run the motor up to 1500 RPM for a minute.
If it does go on and off you have a AC that leaks the 134A gas. If it leaked out that quick as an 18 it is probably a hole somewhere or a loose fitting. Go the dealer or and AC shop for a diagnosis.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

I have a 2018 Precept 31UL with the same issues of the cab being warmer than I thought it should be. I ended up looking under the hood and guess what I found??!! The awesome tech that put mine together made one of the two air hoses too long and it had rubbed itself completely in half. A few shards of fiberglass in my back and some Gorilla tape and its good as fixed (at least for now). You may want to check yours too...
Attached Thumbnails
hose.jpg  
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Oh and while your in there, get yourself some good spray paint and check your battery tray. I have only used mine once in the summer and the entire tray rails were rusted so I scraped them clean and repainted them. Seems like they were either painted with cheap paint or not at all.
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

We always use the generator and run the ac units. This was recommended by the dealer because the dash air can’t cool the entire unit and it uses more gas. We have found using the generator doesn’t really affect the gas mileage
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

A little history, we purchased a 2018 Jayco 31UL Precept, used with 3000 miles on it.
as we all know, the 2 year Jayco warranty is no good to us.
We did purchase an extended policy through the finance department. it has been good to us so far.
Replaced a dinette slide motor, would work and part way in would stop, if I "helped it" by pulling on the frame work and wife working the wall switch, we could get in in.
Also the Garmin/Fusion Infotainment system just completely quit... on our first real trip, vacation use. From Jacksonville to Key West. Used phone for navigation and music.
$100.00 deductible for both. OK not bad.
Dealer asked if we would like to come pick it up and use it as it would be 4 to 6 weeks to get parts. but warned us, if anything else were to come up needing repair they would have to start a new work order and charge another $100.00 deductible.
Guess what, story below.
OK,
So we have pretty much the same symptoms as everyone here is saying,
When AC works, it works well, but suddenly will start blowing semi-warm air.

We have been dealing with this for a little while now.
It started once we picked the unit up from the dealer while waiting for the parts to come in from original visit.

So I said, hey, the chassis is covered under Fords 3Yr 36K mike warranty.
We are lucky enough to have a Ford truck center close to us, so I took it there first.
Said the system had extremely high refrigerant pressure so they replaced the AC compressor and filter/dryer, evacuated the system and charged with refrigerant.
Service adviser said it is work properly now. If anything else happens, it has to be a RV manufacture problem and it did, from there the our first fuel stop!
Shut the RV off to fuel, once started, no cold/cool air!!!!

Dealt with it till we took it back to the dealer when the original problem parts showed up.

After a lot of back and forth banter with the service adviser there (said they don't do AC work) They decided they would take a look at it.
They said they found a defective actuator motor, need to order part, 4-6 more weeks.
Oh, and another $100.00 deductible.

Well, at time of pick up. the dang thing worked fine,,, on my 45 minute drive back to Jacksonville, it quit working again!?!?
Getting ready for a trip to Charleston, went to fuel up,,, worked fine.
Trip to Charleston bout froze us out, had to direct away away from us is was so cold.

Trip home from Charleston, bout an hour into trip,,, luke warm are again.
Thinking about it, it quit working while we were going over a very bumpy/rough bridge. Rattling the hell out of the RV.
My conclusion is a loose connection somewhere??

Does the Ford AC compressor have small relay's that control the compressor on/off?
Wish I could figure out how the see the actual compressor while on the road to see if the compressor clutch is actually engaging and turning the compressor??

If you made it through this read, thanks for listening/reading the post.
Has anyone had the same symptom's or better yet an actual fix?

Thank you, Rick
Finemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

Ok,
So I have figured out by lying on the ground, passenger side in front of the front tire and looking up.
I can see the compressor and it is NOT turning on.
Would this be a Ford problem/repair of Jayco RV?
Old 10-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I would think if the compressor is not coming on, then its a Ford problem.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

There is a safety recall for the dash blower. See this link.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-67642.html

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
There is a safety recall for the dash blower. See this link.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-67642.html
Dbrown,
This recall was done on the last visit to Jayco dealer service.
But is not related to what my problem is.
The blower motor is functioning fine,, the AC compressor is not coming on.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #12

If the AC compressor does not run then it could be a fuze, controls problem or lack of 134a gas. I think you need a professional to look into this. Odds are it is a leak and if still under chassis warranty I would pay them the diagnostic fee in order to get the repair done right. Not the Jayco dealer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote