Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: How do you handle others walking through your campsite?
Grin and bear it 17 30.36%
Ask them politely to walk around 36 64.29%
Yell at them that they are trespassing 2 3.57%
Unleash the pitbulls 2 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #21

Years ago while tent camping in Yellowstone we had a site that was a popular short cut to restrooms. Some people would see us and turn around, others would continue right through.

The worst culprits were the nighttime headlamp and flashlight folks who would shine on our tent. Even worst was the young lady who tripped and fell on one of my extra long guy lines I set up in advance of a storm. She scared the crap out of us.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:27 PM   #22

Anyone tried this approach?

https://www.amazon.com/Barricade-Vis...=A5X37FYYQ65YO
Old 09-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #23

Site trespassing

This does not address your problem. Just me lamenting… just a couple of years ago we never experienced anything like this. Now we see it a lot. I never worried about leaving things out on the site. I fear we are close to needing to be concerned about theft and needing to keep things locked up.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #24

Just enjoy yourself and don’t let it bother you.it’s just a campsite after all.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #25
Dao

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack c View Post
Just enjoy yourself and don’t let it bother you.it’s just a campsite after all.
Agree: it really isn't a big issue in the scheme of things. Let it go.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #26

A little portable doggy fence and/or some little stick in the ground signs that say “Do Not Enter” or “ please Walk Around” are about as non-threatening as one can get. After that, it escalates to swords, cannons and mano-a-mano engagement. (Oh sorry, just another flashback. Forget the last part.)
Old 09-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #27

Most times does not bother us unless they cross so close to where we are sitting. We have a ladder game that we set up and put a chair half way which helps get the hint across. My pet peeve is people who think their dogs are so wonderful they don’t need to be on a leash and isnt that cute when they mark their territory by peeing on our carpet or picnic table. I then get out ant or bug spray which who knew their dog doesn’t like.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #28

We never spend much time hanging around a campground and I dont own the site so I dont really care.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #29
Site Team

In all the years we've been going to state campgrounds, I only remember a time or two that it's happened. I asked the young couple tent campers that were cutting through to the bath/shower building if they were new to camping. They said yes, they were, so I politely mentioned about campground etiquette and cutting through other people's sites. They walked around after that. They were just uneducated about it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 09-10-2022, 05:09 PM   #30

A slightly different approach

I enjoy conversing with all the people. So when people cut through the campsite I feel they need/would like conversation also. I consider them fair game. I ask Hi, how are you?, Where you from?, Did you have a good trip getting here? Been camping long? What kind of camper do you have?. Pretty nice campground isn't it? Not too many mosquitoes today. What kind of repellent do you use? After about 10 minutes I let them escape. They don't ever seem to come back and only wave as they go around the campsite. On the other hand, occasionally, I've met a whole lot of really nice people from all over the country who enjoy conversation also and have a really nice day just meeting and talking to people. Some even come back and pull up a chair and spend some time and bring an adult beverage to share. You just never know who you are going to meet at a campground.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:11 PM   #31

A small, portable plastic doggie fence with a “No Trespassing “ or “Please Do Not Enter” sign is about as non-threatening as one can be. If that doesn’t work you can move up a notch to guns, bazookas or Mano-a-Mano engagement. (Ops, Forget the last part. A temporary flashback moment)
Old 09-10-2022, 05:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
They were just uneducated about it.
I beg to differ. Most every person has a "personal space", and if it gets violated, they feel quite uncomfortable about it, and might even say something to the violator. This also gets pushed out when one lives in a house, whether renting or buying. They don't want folks traipsing through the yard, and will say something if they're aware of it happening.
To suggest they were "uneducated" about it is horsehockey, as they both have that "personal space" thing in thier persona.

I wouldn't be quite so nice about it, but likely ask them if they want me wandering around thier yard. If they say no, then I'll ask why they're doing it to me.

Folks being inconsiderate of others irks me to no end, especially when they demand common courtesy from others.

Roger
Old 09-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Assault on a minor. Not likely to get a warning from the police on that one. Hit him in the face, break glasses, nose, injure an eye. Bad choice.
OR Ruin a $4000.00 hearing aid.........
THAT will ruin your whole weekend!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 09-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #34

The parents and friends weren't coming for conversation, they just didn't have torches and pitch forks in the pass thru.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
I beg to differ. Most every person has a "personal space", and if it gets violated, they feel quite uncomfortable about it, and might even say something to the violator. This also gets pushed out when one lives in a house, whether renting or buying. They don't want folks traipsing through the yard, and will say something if they're aware of it happening.
To suggest they were "uneducated" about it is horsehockey, as they both have that "personal space" thing in thier persona.

I wouldn't be quite so nice about it, but likely ask them if they want me wandering around thier yard. If they say no, then I'll ask why they're doing it to me.

Folks being inconsiderate of others irks me to no end, especially when they demand common courtesy from others.

Roger
Well, the two sites we dad then were very wide, probably 40' each, and the bathrooms were a direct line from their tent and site. A lot of space between our trailers. It's not like they walked close to us. They were taking their brand-new camping equipment out of boxes and wrappings, so they were young, and it was their first time at it. They were polite, understanding, and apologetic. I did make it a point to give them permission to walk through if they found themselves under urgency to use the facilities. It was a fairly long walk if they followed the roadway to it.

We left them with the impression that we weren't upset, but wanted to advise them in case they did that to not-so-nice campers.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 09-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
Almost! A few years ago we had a perfect site in a nice park near Glacier NP. Well, almost perfect. Down the hill a bit was the group camp area and there was a large group of teens there all week. We had barely unhitched and got set up when we noticed kids cutting through our site. There was an informal shortcut trail that went right alongside our rig, over our water hose and power cord and slinky.

I booked it to the office and told them this wasn’t acceptable and if it continued I was going to ask to be moved to a different site. To their credit, the staff said they’d talk to the chaperones immediately and make sure it stopped. With a couple of exceptions, it did. But I did pick up a roll of yellow caution tape at Harbor Freight and still keep it in my cargo area. Just in case!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #37

In over 150 camps over the years have had very little problem with trespassers. Repeat trespassers get a frank request to stay off our site. The worst are the dog walkers who want their dog to meet - eat? - our dog. Kids - okay if they unwittingly cross through, but don't let your dog anywhere near mine! ALL dogs are unpredictable in unfamiliar places with unfamiliar dogs. "My dog is friendly" is as reliable as "Sure, you can tow this with that" to the novice at the RV dealer.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:59 PM   #38

"Hey, don't walk/run/ride your bike through my living room please!?"
Old 09-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiejar View Post
"Hey, don't walk/run/ride your bike through my living room please!?"
Just think the Native Americans were enjoying their living till we cut through.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Just think the Native Americans were enjoying their living till we cut through.
I bought a shot glass while out west last year. Shows 3 distinguished tribal elders, wearing their ceremonial dress. Caption reads- homeland security since 1492.
Closed Thread