Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Can I use Propane while driving?

Is it OK to run my propane furnace, refrigerator, water heater when driving? I would like to keep the fridge cold, coach warm and water hot while driving down the road. Heading on our first "shakedown" trip Sunday in our new 2018 Alante 31V. Leaving snow and heading for warm weather for a week.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

I've always ran fridge in the past with no problems. Never ran heat or hot water. Don't know if they would work with all that wind coming in on burners.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Heat and frig yes. Water heater, not a clue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

I have run all three without incident. My unit has electronic ignition on all of those appliances so if the wind did blow out the flame temporarily the igniter would attempt to relight it. I can't ever remember a time any of the appliances went into lockout while driving so it must work.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #5

Fridge no problems others I haven't tried. If you cool the fridge down a couple days in advance, food will stay cold all day while driving even without propane on.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #6

I run just our fridge when traveling no problem on propane. For the water heater, I run it before I leave home, and it stays warm for up to six hours, usually warm enough to wash hands when stopping to use the restroom. Doesn't take long to warm back up.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #7

Its just me but I always didn't think it would be a good idea running things with no one around close by. Lots of movement inside those trailers going down the road 50-60 mph... Never had any dealings with a motorhome... Probably more safe than inside a pulled trailer...

I have run my small fridge on BATTERY a lot of times but never any thing with fire flame going...

Lots of folks do it however. I would most definitely not have anything propane running pulling up to a gasoline pump...

Just me yaking haha...

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

That's a good point if your fridge on propane is close to pump not good. Mine is on the other side from the gas fill. But something we should all consider.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #9

As a retired firefighter I did forget to mention propane precautions when fueling in my prior response. And I believe you should shut them down when fueling regardless of where your appliances are in your unit. Someone else could be fueling next to you and screw up creating a gasoline vapor hazard.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #10

We have had a few motorhomes which by definition are a self-contained vehicle and we have never given it a second thought to run anything anytime!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info on operating propane while driving. We ran the furnace, fridge and water heater while driving with no problems. I think the key is they are all electronic ignition so if they don't start the gas stops flowing. But all went well as we were warm, had hot water and frozen ice cream.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #12

Surely, in most cases, the flame is outside the body of the vehicle (aside from the stove/hob, obviously)... so the hazard is not inside, but out.

You may be very careful filling up, and your heater/fridge might be on the other side from your gas cap, but... if the person filling up on that side of you, is careless or accident-prone, and there's a fuel spill, you will have a vapour cloud, wafting by your open flame...

If the ensuing investigation reveals that you had a flame burning on the forecourt of a gas station, then I'm pretty sure your insurance company will leave you high and dry.

There are places (usually tunnels) where you are not allowed to take a particular route if you have any propane on board at all... even if it's turned off or disconnected.
I've seen RV's pulled over, near Baltimore, so the troopers can inspect them for gas bottles.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #13

I run it for my refrigerator, we lost a lot of food going to Las Vegas think I can run it off of my battery, want do that again so we at least run the refrigerator. It don't take long for the water heater to heat up.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

Always learning something new here, thanks. My dealer told me it is against the law to drive with propane on. Do all refrigerators work with just the battery. I thought propane had to be on. DW is wondering, I even read the manuals and have missed this one.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Always learning something new here, thanks. My dealer told me it is against the law to drive with propane on. Do all refrigerators work with just the battery. I thought propane had to be on. DW is wondering, I even read the manuals and have missed this one.
There were some RV refrigerators that could run from a 12VDC battery source only, but most require 12VDC for their electronics and propane or 120VAC for cooling.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #16

Fridge only, and nothing else.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote