Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
I called my RV dealer to see how much it will be to flat tow prep a car with them.. And they came with an outrageous price of 5800+TAX... using BlueOx / Patriot / etc. I guess the dealer is not the right shop to get that done.

Looking for advise.. I do have a 2008 Acura MDX that I can't flat tow nor use a dolly as per Acura/Honda. Question is.. using a small flat bed possible? I think I will exceed the 5k pounds that way.. not sure.. but also I think having the flat bed will be a hassle dealing with that on every destination.

Thoughts?
A MDX shows a gross weight of 4,548LBS... You are barely under the weight with the car alone empty... Add the gear you need to carry (and the tow bar/assembly required and you are at the max.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #22

You're right.. I think the MDX is out of the equation. I do have another two options that I'm considering...

1. A 2008 CRV EX-L ready to flat tow with Roadmaster Tow Bar / rock guard and stay N play duo braking system. Selling price 8k but I'm in Florida and the Car is in New York. 135k miles.

2. A 2012 CRV LX - ready to flat tow with Blue Ox Accent | stay N play Duo Braking system | 83k miles | Toggle Switch for Fuse | etc. Selling Price.. 13k. Unit is in Florida.

Decisions Decisions.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #23

Do some research on the vehicle you're considering for flat tow. I might get hit here but the Jeep is not that highly rated when it comes to dependability. I installed the Roadmaster kit and it and the tow bar was about $1700. They provide detailed instructions on YouTube. Me personally I have a SmartCar 2017 model. Tows great and can't even tell it's back there. Of course I wouldn't get a high mileage car.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #24

whats your e-mail, I have pictures
Harleys house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #25

jjmujica@me.com
Old 08-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #26

I saw a toad yesterday... and it had the stay IN play duo braking system but the person that did the install decided to put the operating unit under the driver seat. I didn't get a chance to test the braking system... but almost all videos on the internet shows the operating unit on the engine compartment.

Have you seen the operating unit under the drivers seat? The owner told me that it was working for him without issues.. but I didn't got a chance to check all the wiring... and not sure how to test it without hooking the toad to the RV.

Any feedback?
Old 08-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #27

Hi,
I recently installed the light set up- no splicing, roadmaster base plates, demco duo braking system in a 2018 wrangler JL.
After watching several how to vids i watched i went with the engine compartment, next to the battery. Out of 4-5 vids i watched only 1 had it installed on interior of vehichle.
Only issue i could see would be the length of vacuum hose needed, not to sure about that, but demco tech are quite helpful.
Pete
Old 08-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #28

Any people here from Central Florida or surrounding areas.. any shop you can recommend to prep a car for flat tow? I may have found a 2010 Jeep Liberty and I'm considering buying it and to have it prep for flat tow behind my Alante 27A.

Any help.. appreciated.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
Any people here from Central Florida or surrounding areas.. any shop you can recommend to prep a car for flat tow? I may have found a 2010 Jeep Liberty and I'm considering buying it and to have it prep for flat tow behind my Alante 27A.

Any help.. appreciated.
I had my work done at Hitching Post in Ocala. I'd 100% go back to them.