Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #1

Catalytic Converter

Warning Motorhome Owners in Calgary, Alberta
So now it happen to me too.
I had my Precept 35S winterized and stored at the Country Hills RV Storage in Calgary.
Yesterday, I visited my motorhome at the storage place. While inspecting the motorhome I noticed that my catalytic converter was stolen. I had preventive measures taken that included painting the converter yellow and orange, engraving the VIN and attaching the converter with two strings of ¼-inch stainless steel wires on to the motorhome frame. (so now fast removal)
I reported the theft to the police. They told me that regardless of any measures taken the thieves are bold and take whatever they want. Engraving or painting does not prevent the converter to be stolen and sold. It is frustrating that not more can and will be done to stop the sale of stolen converters.
I was told that even welded plates have been cut thru or commercially available preventing equipment have not stopped them to take the converter. I think the car industry needs to come up with something that makes the converter not easily accessible. However, that doesn’t help us F53 owners as ours is totally exposed and easy to cut off.
So what now??? I am sure if I replace the converter and move the RV to another storage it will happen again and again. It is very frustrating.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #2

Unfortunately, the only way to stop the theft is to stop the black market for them. That's almost an impossibility. We've seen surges of thefts for a while now. As a matter of fact, most catalysts and DEF filters are on national backorder due to the demand. I work with a lot of fleet customers and they all have multiple convertors on order. Some since February.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #3

If your motor home is in an enclosed storage area one possibility is an alarm system using motion detection. It would involve a monthly fee and would take some time to work out false alarms but might be worth it in the long run.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #4

There was a story on the news yesterday that they broke up a "National" Converter theft ring that had made millions. So hopefully much of this will stop.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There was a story on the news yesterday that they broke up a "National" Converter theft ring that had made millions. So hopefully much of this will stop.
I don't know. With crooks, if one's put away there are plenty more to fill the void.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #6

Until the risk of punishment out weights the profit that can be made with very little effort this problem will not go away. With the cost of a factory cat. converter at $1000.00 to $5000.00 there is a lot of temptation for the thief and the shop that installs them.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
I think the car industry needs to come up with something that makes the converter not easily accessible.
I disagree. What's needed is for law enforcement to actually investigate the crime, find the perpetrator, and punish them to the full extent of the law. Theft is theft, and if allowed (because "we have no evidence to investigate") to continue, then it'll only get worse bacause there's no risk to the criminal.
There needs to be some system of custody set up from sales, to ownership, to scrapping, so that metal recyclers can't buy these things from backyard scrappers without some documentation that they got them legitimately.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #8

I live in both Illinois and Florida. Both have laws that every time a cat is brought in the person must be a licensed repairman and the purchase logged in. This also applies to HVAC cores. It has not stopped the theft but has way cut down on it.

Last time I took in scrap metal to sell I was photographed and to show ID.

It can only cut it down but not 100% prevent it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:47 AM   #9

I would think the insurance industry has to be screaming about this. But what can they do?

If mine gets stolen, I'm installing a straight pipe.

My state (PA) does not check emissions systems on vehicles over 9,000 lbs.
Last year, my RV passed the yearly state inspection while it had a check-engine light active. (The light was for an engine mis-fire, which was fixed the next day.)

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
If mine gets stolen, I'm installing a straight pipe.
I'd be mighty tempted to do the same.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:01 AM   #11

Don't know what the laws here in Alberta are. But it is tempting to install a straight pipe.
Anybody knows if that's possible on the Ford 53 10V without damaging something? I heard that motors in general are running better without it too.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:13 AM   #12

I’m not very familiar with Fords V10 engine, but the only issue I can see removing the converter is if you have a down stream ( after converter) o2 sensor. It would probably activate the check engine light.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
I disagree. What's needed is for law enforcement to actually investigate the crime, find the perpetrator, and punish them to the full extent of the law. Theft is theft, and if allowed (because "we have no evidence to investigate") to continue, then it'll only get worse bacause there's no risk to the criminal.
There needs to be some system of custody set up from sales, to ownership, to scrapping, so that metal recyclers can't buy these things from backyard scrappers without some documentation that they got them legitimately.

Roger
Nationwide how many law enforcement people will it take to fully investigate each theft? Which crimes should they be pulled from or do we add additional cops?

I think your second suggestion plus making them less easy to steal is the more practical solution. Insurance companies are best position to lobby for changes to the laws and design.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Nationwide how many law enforcement people will it take to fully investigate each theft? Which crimes should they be pulled from or do we add additional cops?
I'll recognize the truth of your words, but don't our taxpayer dollars pay them to do exactly that? If they don't enforce all laws, then why have laws at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadtCoach View Post
I think your second suggestion plus making them less easy to steal is the more practical solution. Insurance companies are best position to lobby for changes to the laws and design.
I have mixed feelings about my second suggestion, even though I put it in print.
While it might be a practical solution, why should I have to pay for, and jump through little circus dog hoops in response to criminal activity?
Seems the criminal never has to pay for the "collateral damage" they cause, but the law abiding always has to either pay for, or develop and initiate the preventative measures in one way or another.

Just ain't right.....Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I'd be mighty tempted to do the same.
I did.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #16

Our 2015 Greyhawk 29mv was in National RV in Belleville, MI for a couple issues -- slide out rollers and levelers check. Delay in them letting us know it was ready, 9 days later, but when we get there, it's pulled out for us, but service manager tells us they're sorry, but the converter was stolen while it was out back!!! Claim no responsibility, National General insurance adjuster says we have to advocate for ourselves with Nat'l RV shop! Filed the claim, sent photos, now we wait. Claims adjuster also informed us they only offer aftermarket replacement coverage, whatever that will be...almost rather go with the straight pipe, not sure what would happen here in Michigan, but without some way of preventing another one from being stolen, and most on backorder for long term....OUTRAGEOUS!
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:28 PM   #17

I have to think that this has moved from the realm of junkie or crackheads stealing them to sell to local scrap dealers for their next fix. I envision this as having moved to the realm of organized crime where the units are shipped overseas in shipping containers. Thus, painting or engraving will not have any deterrent effect. Local news footage showed security cam footage of a dude rolling up in an Escalade, guy gets out passenger side door, and is back in the vehicle cat in hand in under 45 seconds. Crackheads, in my area at least, don't have getaway drivers in Escalades.
fanceydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanceydave View Post
I have to think that this has moved from the realm of junkie or crackheads stealing them to sell to local scrap dealers for their next fix. I envision this as having moved to the realm of organized crime where the units are shipped overseas in shipping containers.
That's what an article a while back stated. They already busted one organized national ring.

Nov 2, 2022 — Justice Department Announces Takedown of Nationwide Catalytic Converter Theft Ring.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #19

As I said it before, the Ford F53 CC has a label "Please steal me" on it. .

I think the insurance company needs to go after the manufacturer. I am not a so called expert, but I am sure there are better places to incorporate the CC than out there in the open.

Its getting very bad up here in the north too, as they found out that most F53 chassis (motorhomes or Commercial) have the CC just wide open under the chassis.

I have not fixed mine but I know that if I put any aftermarket CC in place of the original, it will be gone again within weeks. And the police?? they have other more urged matters to resolve.