Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bhenry44 Send a message via Skype™ to bhenry44
Change out queen bed?

I have a 2016 Alante 31L with a queen bed. Has anyone changed their queen bed for a king sized one?

Thanks
bhenry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenry44 View Post
I have a 2016 Alante 31L with a queen bed. Has anyone changed their queen bed for a king sized one?

Thanks
We do not have your model but have moved from a queen at a king in the past. Measure the opening to see if the king will fit. not only where the mattress goes but also the doors to get it in and around corners. More than likely you will not be able to put in a spring mattress due to the fact you will probably have to contort the mattress to get it in to the space. Also the mattress in a box is a good option if you can fit a king through the doors. Good Luck.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

I haven't done it yet, but we have done a fair amount of home remodeling in general, and have thought about how I might do it should we purchase the Alante 29s we want (almost ready to place order in fact).

In our model there are little bedside tables that are slightly higher than the platform the mattress sits on. Two possible ways to go about it...
#1 raise up the platform to match hight of tables, also need plywood platform to come close to matching size of mattress. You don't even need to use 2x4s, you can use what they use to build which is usually 1x2 or 2x2s. I would not remove what is there now (in motor homes electric equipment is under the bed) I would just build around current base and raise it up. You might need to also make a support for the middle where storage is. A simple stud wall is fine.
#2 you would not have to build up higher if you plan on a foam mattress you could use an electric turkey carving knife and cut simple cutouts of foam under the matress so mattress tucks over the top of the end tables (measure twice, cut once!) Then I would just replace the plywood of the platform to make it wider for the king size.

Those are ideas I've had, not sure if we will actually do that as we currently have a nice upgraded queen matress so we probably won't upgrade to king, but I had thought about it at least.
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote