Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #1

Chassis (and other stuff) Corrosion

So we picked up our new Alante 31V (2018 model). Everything looking good for the most part and even the missing Garmin screen device showed up very quickly (thanks to Richardson RV for good service) now even with a spare dock unit.

Today I crawled under the coach to install a rock skirt and found that the chassis beams and other suspension parts are seriously rusted. I don't even know if there is really some paint on the beams. Obviously the motorhome has been sitting in the dealer lot for over a year (but in a very dry climate) and who knows which salted roads were driven from Indiana to California. Otherwise there is some corrosion on the steel and aluminum parts in the propane/heater compartment.

Now, should I just ignore this, given the hefty steel parts which won't rust away anytime soon? Or should I prime and paint everything?

Actually, is this sorry excuse of a paint job for the chassis normal?
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

Our Greyhawk had rust on the chassis, too. Our dealer sanded and recoated it under warranty four years ago and it’s not returned.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I would document the condition of the beams and conytact Jayco Motorized CS and send them the photos and ask how they want you to proceed. My experience is they are very good to work with and will help you get to a resolution.

Jayco Motorized CS
1-800-517-9137 1,1,1
motorizedservice@jayco.com

Have the last 8 of your VIN (starting with J0..)
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

I would coat it.

https://www.por15.com/
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the recommendations. I took some pictures and will send to Jayco CS. I find that unacceptable.

Just to give an idea how I received the coach, I attach some pictures below. Pretty poor condition for a new vehicle, even if from previous model year. For that matter, all the loose and dangling wires do not inspire much confidence in long term reliability.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1120.JPG   IMG_1121.JPG   IMG_1122.JPG   IMG_1124.JPG   IMG_1127.JPG  

IMG_1125.JPG   IMG_1129.JPG   IMG_1128.JPG  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #6

Jerry,

Could be an optical illusion, but it looks to me like you may have a crack in picture 2 just to the left of the leaf springs where they attach to the axle. Hard to tell in the photo, could just as easily be a shadow, but worth checking on in person to confirm.

See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Site Team

You could also Fluid Film the chassis on your unit.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Jerry,

Could be an optical illusion, but it looks to me like you may have a crack in picture 2 just to the left of the leaf springs where they attach to the axle. Hard to tell in the photo, could just as easily be a shadow, but worth checking on in person to confirm.

See below.
Thanks for the hint! It does really look like a crack but I looked at it again today and there is nothing to see (other than the darn rust). I suspect this may be a sharp shadow of the curved axle surface created by the small distance between camera lens and flashlight of the cellphone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1133.JPG   IMG_1136.JPG  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Ok good... I wasn't sure but better to check and know, than to not check and have a failure.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

Yes, it got me scared for a moment...

I did some research and I found a lot of chassis rust related complaints on this and on other forum sites. Looks like the shoddy rust protection is an industry disease, not just Jayco and the even more shoddy road salt cleaning after transport is also typical for many dealerships.

Let's see if I can get any feedback from the dealer or Jayco customer service. I am already hesitant to let the dealer fix the rust, assuming they will just spray over the rust with black rattle can paint. There are reports regarding that as well.

Not a good start of my motorhome adventure
Old 04-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

That is absolutely horrible. I live in the Midwest where salt and calcium chloride is dumped by the tons on our roads every year. It's crazy that it would have this much rust even if it was transported from the factory in the winter. Our cars and pick-ups even after several winters here don't have near the chassis rust that you have.
If I was buying new and crawled underneath and saw what you have the deal would be off.
So sorry you are starting out like this
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I took some pictures and will send to Jayco CS. I find that unacceptable.

Just to give an idea how I received the coach, I attach some pictures below. Pretty poor condition for a new vehicle, even if from previous model year. For that matter, all the loose and dangling wires do not inspire much confidence in long term reliability.

I have the same issue with rust on my 2018 Alante 26x. Let me know how it goes with Jayco.

Check the wiring to make sure it is secured properly. I also found so many not strapped up properly. One was a wire conduit for the rear camera, it was resting against the engine header and melted shorting the wires to the camera.

While diagnosing the camera, I found another wire conduit touching the catalytic converter. So far this one only melted the wire conduit and some of the wire insulation. Good thing I caught it before it shorted as the wire conduit has 115v in it.

The exposed wiring at the kwikee steps is as major mess on mine. Hasn't caused an issues yet, but will if not addressed.

Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #13

Thanks, I will check that wiring. So far no reply from Jayco CS or from the dealership on my email. I guess I will have to call them next week. I need to schedule service for the fuse recall anyway.

But I am already committed to fixing the rust myself. After reading some other people's experience I have no confidence that the dealer service is going to do it right.

Now I need to find a place with a pit where I can get it power washed from below to remove the salt residue and later to apply rust converter and undercoat. I could put the motorhome on ramps but the 6.5 inch rise don't leave much space to move around.

Where would I find such a place with a pit (I am new to RVs)? I googled and looked on Yelp but I am not sure if I am using the correct search terms.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
Where would I find such a place with a pit (I am new to RVs)? I googled and looked on Yelp but I am not sure if I am using the correct search terms.

Most truck shops would have one, but unlikely they would let you use it without at least some sort of fee, but maybe not at all.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #15

Now I did get a response from Richarson's RV (the dealer) saying they are going to check with Jayco what to do. I have the fuse recall service scheduled in June and the least they can do at this time is get the salt off from below (and take care of a leaking tire and a leaking shower faucet). I will do the rest of the rust treatment.

I also got a reply from Jayco Motorized Customer Service. Quite polite but basically they said that such a crappy condition is normal, not to worry about, common in the industry and not covered by the warranty.

What can I say.

I hope other potential customers for new RV's (not just motorhomes) will see this and remember to bring a flashlight and old clothes to crawl under and check out the "new" vehicle before signing the contract. I wish I had done that.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #16

Update, message from Richardson's RV dealership:

"Just letting you know that The Riverside Service department will be addressing your undercarriage rust issues when you bring it in for your service appointment. This is a goodwill repair. We will clean rust areas, Apply rust neutralizer and spray paint affected areas in the undercarriage. "

So that is good. While Jayco's response was pathetic, I think I want to commend Richardson's for their customer service. I will give an update when the work is done. I am not sure yet if I will let them spray paint it or if I should rather apply something like fluid film myself.

JB
Old 05-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #17

I have a 2014 Precept and same issue.
Worse is the propane/battery compartment that has a lot of electrical connections exposed. I had an issue with the connections for the stablizers. A tech spent 3 hours cleaning all the connections in that compartment of rust.
I wish I had then coated everything so the rust would not come back.
Poor design to put that stuff exposed to the elements.
Fred
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #18

Similar problems with a new 5th wheel

Here are some before repairs photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1918.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	49362

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1919.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	49363

Name:	DSCN1925.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	49365

Name:	DSCN1926.JPG
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	49366

Name:	DSCN1935.JPG
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	49367
This is a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT model 24.5 CKTS. Purchased June of 2018 - so it sat on dealer lot for a year (Whitby Ontario Canada). Used it once for a 3 day weekend and got under it when I got home thinking I just had some surface rust to take care of. When I saw how bad it was (considering this was a new trailer- albeit a year old) I took photos of the rust and underbelly fabric damage to the dealer and suggested that they replace the unit - that didn't fly. Sept 28 it was decided to return the unit to LCI (Lippert Component Industries) the company that makes Jayco's trailer frames, for repairs. According to the Lippert work order they spent 40 hours sandblasting, welding and painting (order says 6 coats). Unit was returned to dealer in late November and Jayco assigned underbelly repairs to the dealer. Unit spent the winter at the dealers and I got it back a week ago. The underside of he unit now looks like I expected a new unit to look. It has taken a while but between Jayco and our dealer, they stood behind their warranty. No more rust, the underbelly is now one solid piece and well sealed, and they replaced the axles, springs and spring hangers (they also were well rusted).
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #19

I belong to several RV sites and this rust issue is a problem across the board it seems with every manufacturer of rationally priced RV's. Big problems with Winnies also.
Something needs to be done about this all to common problem. Every new owner needs to check their new RV purchases and keep after the manufacturer for repair. Thank goodness it seems that Jayco was good about taking care of this problem...........that speaks volumes for them
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #20
SLS

Hello, I am new to motorhomes and I am inquiring about the rock guard, where was it installed?
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote