Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Chassis battery drains while on shore power.

Hi! I have an Entegra Vision 26X gas class A that while on shore power, the chassis battery keeps going dead. The usual chassis powered items are all off and I've not used even the power shade. Trickle charged the chassis battery once, double checked all items I KNOW to be on it were off and the chassis battery went dead again after 7 days. Found out by the leveler lights all coming on each time. Spoke to the factory and they said a drain but not any ideas as to what. Still a awaiting a call back from my dealer's service dept.

Any clues or information would be greatly appreciated as it's a couple of weeks til I get home and can get to a dealer.
mfklemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfklemm View Post
Hi! I have an Entegra Vision 26X gas class A that while on shore power, the chassis battery keeps going dead. The usual chassis powered items are all off and I've not used even the power shade. Trickle charged the chassis battery once, double checked all items I KNOW to be on it were off and the chassis battery went dead again after 7 days. Found out by the leveler lights all coming on each time. Spoke to the factory and they said a drain but not any ideas as to what. Still a awaiting a call back from my dealer's service dept.

Any clues or information would be greatly appreciated as it's a couple of weeks til I get home and can get to a dealer.
First thing I would do is have the battery checked. It could be bad and just not holding a charge.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Yes, thought about that but no issues since when I bought it in December new and just putting a new one in might have he same result. Trying to understand the system. Nt what I'm used to obviously. Thank you!!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

I installed one of these battery disconnects on my chassis battery to prevent parasitic drains. I keep it disconnected when stored and the MH is plugged into my garage which keeps my house batteries charged up. You can find them on Amazon or EBay pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
D09A8B28-0B40-4082-9D5B-66CC27B65762.jpeg  
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Interesting. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #6

Quick and easy way to disconnect when not in use. Just turn the knob to the left and the battery is disconnected....righty tighty and you have power again.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

Does not matter if it is new. Have the battery LOAD tested with a resistive type load tester. No a computer type.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...oaAp6GEALw_wcB

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Thanks. Will get one to go with the new battery!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #9

Thank you. Test and says a bad battery. Will get a new one and a disconnect.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

Appears to be a bad battery. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #11

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who posted. It appears the battery needs to be replaced and a disconnect is a great idea. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #12

UPDATE on chasis battery drain

After more searching, I found this is a common problem with the Entegra Vision. Ludicrous problem in this day and age. Check out the posts on the link below. Guess a battery disconnect switch is definitely in my future. This would have been a show stopper for purchasing as I boondock a lot. Otherwise the coach layout is good. Always learning something with each new coach and never seem to anticipate the real gotcha issues :-(

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/any...rs-393717.html
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Have you checked to see if your converter is sending charging voltage to your battery? This could be why your battery went dead.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #14

Thanks for your post.

My understanding is the converter charges the house batteries while connected to shore power (they are fine) and not the chassis battery. We checked the chassis battery and it was dead. Have bought a new battery and will see if that solves the problem--could be that simple. Have also ordered a 30W solar charger for the chassis battery. Will update. There appear to be conflicting info about whether a roof mounted solar panel connected thru the prewire would charge BOTH house and chassis batteries. Will investigate but it will have to wait for a bit.

Company did send me a 12v coach schematic to help trouble shoot :-)
Old 05-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfklemm View Post
Thanks for your post.

My understanding is the converter charges the house batteries while connected to shore power (they are fine) and not the chassis battery. We checked the chassis battery and it was dead. Have bought a new battery and will see if that solves the problem--could be that simple. Have also ordered a 30W solar charger for the chassis battery. Will update. There appear to be conflicting info about whether a roof mounted solar panel connected thru the prewire would charge BOTH house and chassis batteries. Will investigate but it will have to wait for a bit.

Company did send me a 12v coach schematic to help trouble shoot :-)

Your converter should also charge your chassis battery while plugged into shore power. It should be charging at or about 13.4 volts. There is also a relay between the converters charger and your chassis battery that may not be closing. Your system and my Precept system are virtually the same and this topic has been brought up countless time before since 2014.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #16

Thank you! Will check.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Have you checked to see if your converter is sending charging voltage to your battery? This could be why your battery went dead.
He is having trouble with the Chassis battery. Not the House battery. Converter charges the house battery.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
He is having trouble with the Chassis battery. Not the House battery. Converter charges the house battery.

AND the chassis battery on the Precept, Alante and Entegra MOTORHOMES.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #19

Yes, on my precept 31 ul the chassis and house batteries are charged when on shore power. Mine at 13.2 volts which is the converter maintenance charge mode.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #20

Thanks you all. I have anew battery installed and will check it to see if it's charging. Makes sense that it would given the power front shade, levelers, outside door safety light and power step. May also be something not working properly to allow charging from converter. Knowing what's what will let me cope until it can go in for warranty work and later take care of it when out of warranty :-)