Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
OK, I finished the suspension project. Did the CHF for the rear sway bar last weekend and the front today along with adding the Roadmaster steering stabilizer. About 30 minutes to re-position the sway bar links, a bit over an hour for the stabilizer. After a couple of test drives and slight adjustments on the stabilizer all seems to be working well. It really seems to tip and sway a lot less and the steering is nice and firm in the straight position. Only drove about 30 miles, heading on a 2,000 mile trip on the 19th so should be a great test. I am going to cancel my appointment for a new rear sway bar until I see if I really need it after this CHF. Thanks to everyone responding to my earlier posts and helping me along. The pics show the front sway link in the original position (I have removed the bolt) and the new position. Also a pic of the steering stabilizer.
I'm having the same thing done to my Precept good to hear it helped so far. Please post back after your 2000 mile trip I would like to hear what you think. I have about a 2000 mile trip scheduled in Aug.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

Just got back from a trip from Utah to Portland, OR. I did the CHF to both the front and rear stock sway bars and I have to say they made a huge difference. I also installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and the combination made it a pleasurable drive. Lots of bad wind from Stanfield, OR to Portland along the river that had me down to 55 mph instead of 65. But I used to feel like it was tipping over in winds and on curves but that sensation was cut by 80% and the many trucks passing me made me move very little. I would say the CHF was a success. I am going to investigate an adapter for the front hook-up to change the geometry of the link with the sway bar back to closer to the original angle. I think that will work better. The cost for the CHF was $70 for a torque wrench instead of $1800 for new sway bars!
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Just got back from a trip from Utah to Portland, OR. I did the CHF to both the front and rear stock sway bars and I have to say they made a huge difference. I also installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and the combination made it a pleasurable drive. Lots of bad wind from Stanfield, OR to Portland along the river that had me down to 55 mph instead of 65. But I used to feel like it was tipping over in winds and on curves but that sensation was cut by 80% and the many trucks passing me made me move very little. I would say the CHF was a success. I am going to investigate an adapter for the front hook-up to change the geometry of the link with the sway bar back to closer to the original angle. I think that will work better. The cost for the CHF was $70 for a torque wrench instead of $1800 for new sway bars!
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #24

I got the CHF done today and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Now I noticed after driving it home from the shop they mounted the stabilizer shock on top of the bracket but Roadmaster shows it mounted on the bottom. Not sure if this is an issue because I did not notice any binding while driving. Both changes did make a big difference in the way it handled down the road I'm Glade I did it.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #25

I think as long as there is no binding or contact it should be fine. Roadmaster has been more than helpful for me and a quick call to them might be worth it.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #26

All Precept owners have your sway bar bushing mounts checked for tightness. When I had my shop do the CHF they noticed that some of the mounts to the frame were loose very loose. Just a heads up. Not sure if Ford missed it or Jayco.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #27

Update I did talk to Roadmaster they said it will be ok as long as it is somewhat horizontal and it is. So I'm good to go.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #28

Quote:
I think that's right, the Precept has the extra and heavier rear sway bars - called the J-Ride Plus. I have been under my Alante and I only have one front and one rear sway bar but I haven't looked for the "extra" holes on either. I get it back from the dealer next week and will crawl under and take a look. Thanks!
We have the 2017 Alante 31 V It has both sway bars with two holes front and rear. All I can say is what a difference it makes in handling. Steering stabilizer and CHF F&R
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #29

Front CHF done 2016 Precept 35S

Spent an hour yesterday morning under the front and completed the CHF. Hoping the rear goes as smooth.

I had the same issue as Vicr, bolt hole in the bar was even with the leaf spring when the link was lined up with the hole and couldn't insert the bolt.

Spending 40 years working with underground coal miners one learns there is always a way. inserted the bolt in the bar when it was lower than the spring, jacked up the bar to the correct level for the link, pushed the bolt out until the head hit the spring and pulled the link towards the opposite side of the coach until the hole lined up with the bolt.

There was enough play in the upper link bushing to allow me to swing it in place. Same issue on the opposite side but after figuring out how to get the link reattached things went smoothly.

Getting ready for a road trip to OBX and Pigeon Forge, TN so I hope the CHF gives me better handling. Body roll on uneven pavement is pretty bad in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #30

CHF Finished!

Finished the rear CHF this morning, much easier than the front. Checked sway bar bushing bolts on the front side of the rear axle, all tight.

Will be heading to OBX next weekend and back through Pigeon Forge before returning home, towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. This will be our first trip with CHF and the Wrangler Unlimited. My original toad was a standard 2 door Wrangler so will be pulling a bit more weight.

Worst hill will be on I64 east of Beckley, WV (Sandstone Mountain?), good test for the MH with 5 star tune.

Hope to have a good handling report, especially the curvy northern portion of the WV turnpike.

Anyone know if an EZ-Pass issued in FL will work on the WV Turnpike?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #31

NickM….. How long have you had the 5 star tune? Does it just increase power and transmission shift points or does it improve fuel mileage? Also is your tranny a 5 or 6 speed?
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #32

I originally installed the tune in February of 2017, about 6 months into ownership. I did this while we were camping at Wekiva Falls RV park in Sanford, FL.

I drove it out of the park, into town and back and could not really tell the difference so switched back to stock tune and called 5 Star customer service.

Found out that their CS was also located in Sanford but was not allowed to make field visits nor could I bring it in to their office so everything was handled on line.

After they "looked" at my tuner they recommended a new tune program and sent it to me. I installed it and a few weeks after we drove from Sanford to Carabelle, FL, no interstate. A mix of 2 and 4 lane roads with speed limits of 55 and 65, a few towns with stop and go.

My conclusion after this trip was that I have improved shift points and the transmission seemed more responsive. Also, it looked like 4th, 5th and OD were speed related so it would remain in 4th up through 40, fifth up through 50 and OD about 55 or so.

I can't tell much about milage as I was under 3K at this time. Our last trip to Mackinac, MI I got about 7 mpg while pulling a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. My best milage was last fall traveling through KY I got up to 8mpg without generator or engine AC.

We just broke 5k miles so this next trip I should get a little better idea of milage.

When approaching a hill I will disengage cruise, get up to 70 before hitting the incline and will let the engine speed control the transmission. As ground speed falls off I manually keep rpm's between 3200 and 3800 and ignore speed. Not nearly as noisy this way since the engine isn't screaming.

The only thing I wish for is the Ford Select Shift option like I had on my diesel trucks. With that transmission I think I can hold the engine at max torque around 3000 rpm no matter the speed.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #33

Nick, Sandstone Mountain has got the best of many vehicles. I haven't came up it this year, but had no trouble last spring. Be careful a there is construction between exit 133 and exit 124, down to one lane both ways. Stay safe and have a great trip.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 AM   #34

Hi Mitch,

Just noticed you were in Beckley, we will staying there next weekend with my brother-in-law in Beaver. Spent a lot of nights over the past 40 years in Beckley and had some nice meals at the Char.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #35

CHF Report

Took the MH out today for a 20 mile drive to check towing our new to us toad, a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. So much more room in a 4 door jeep.....

Hooked up in our gravel/dirt storage lot and pulled out onto the highway. I noticed immediately there was a distinct lack of body roll while on uneven ground.

Ran up I275, east on Rt. 32 and back to storage, about 20 miles more or less. I felt like I was driving a different motor home. DW noticed the lack of body roll and commented that the ride was much better than before.

While this was only a short drive I feel comfortable in saying that the CHF is probably one of the best modifications I have made to our Precept 35S.