Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

check engine light on.....

My check engine light came on while driving home from picking up coach. Some other folks have had the same problem. Ford has said to others that it is jaycos problem to fix due to modification. Anyone else had this problem?
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I have a air bag light on since p/u Nov 3, 2015. Took it to Ford. after $128.00 they traced to under seat. Said it is Jayco problem cause Jayco installed seats?!? Waiting to Take to a Jayco dealer Jan 4. Call Jayco customer service and have them document your issue. Check back for results.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

First plug in an OBDII/CAN scanner and let the computer tell you what it thinks is wrong.

Then demand the warrantee repair!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

The module under the seat is the srs module and it's furnished through Ford Motor Company. Whatever ford dealer told you this was Jayco's problem is wrong. Ford covers Ford parts. Period.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Ford traced all the way to seats. They said seats had to come out to investigate further. They had to reschedule for two weeks later. I was livid I had to wait so long so I called Jayco Customer Service and explained situation. They got back to me and said it was a Jayco issue. Since they installed the seats. The Jayco dealer was 6 weeks backed up. Ugg hope this is not normal. So I will know more Jan 4th.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
First plug in an OBDII/CAN scanner and let the computer tell you what it thinks is wrong.

Then demand the warrantee repair!
Hey Mike,

Thanks....wish I had one of those handy.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Wow,

I hope I don't have that much trouble getting this resolved.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Ford traced all the way to seats. They said seats had to come out to investigate further. They had to reschedule for two weeks later. I was livid I had to wait so long so I called Jayco Customer Service and explained situation. They got back to me and said it was a Jayco issue. Since they installed the seats. The Jayco dealer was 6 weeks backed up. Ugg hope this is not normal. So I will know more Jan 4th.
Yeah, if Jayco boogers up something then yeah...they fix it. But if that module just went bad, it's on FoMoCo.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Mike gives good advice.

The MIL Maintenance Indicator Light aka CEL Check Engine Light being on often is related to an emissions problem. As long as the vehicle is operating correctly and there are no drive-ability issues then it is nothing to get too worked up about.

Most auto parts supply stores will scan your vehicle for free. If the problem is related to OBDII emissions monitoring then the scan should give you a general idea of what the problem is.

There is little downside to getting a scan from an auto store. One thing I will suggest. NEVER LET THEM RESET OR CLEAR THE CODES.

One reason is that a generic OBDII scan tool may not read all the codes available because some are manufacturer proprietary codes. It may not see/read them, but it can clear them.

Another reason is that the dealership often needs to see a complete DTC Diagnostic Trouble Code history to support a warranty repair. If the codes are cleared you may not get a warranty repair until the condition returns and sets new codes.

There is a simple common thing to check. Make certain that your fuel cap is properly seated. Air leaks in the fuel tank system can cause monitors to become unhappy and trigger the MIL aka CEL dash indicator.

Added:
The MIL aka CEL is separate from the SRS Safety Restraint System monitoring. To my knowledge there is no vehicle in which an air bag or seat belt monitor will trigger the MIL aka CEL dash indicator. The systems are monitored independently.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

check engine light on.....

Check a few things under the hood before driving it again. Oil, coolant, etc... Check engine light could be one of numerous alerts.

+2 on the gas cap
Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #11

Your FixOrRepairDaily dealer just did not want to deal with a motorhome.. If you take it too a Jayco dealer they would just drive it over to his lot for him to fix..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

gas cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Your FixOrRepairDaily dealer just did not want to deal with a motorhome.. If you take it too a Jayco dealer they would just drive it over to his lot for him to fix..
I was filling up at the Walmart station that @ $1.559 a gallon with my Walmart card and looked at the bottom of the gas fill cap, the rubber seal was so bad it had to be leaking some. Straight to Autozone and $14.00 later it was replaced. Probably just a placebo effect but it seems to shift better and idle smoother. It never gave me a CEL tho.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 AM   #13

Update on the 2016 Redhawk with the airbag light that stays on. Originally took to Ford, They traced to seats and said seats need to come out to trace further. Called Jayco, They said it is a Jayco issue. Took to Jayco(MD.) They said everything checks out no krinks in wire all componets check out ok. Said take back to Ford and have them Reset the code. Took back to Ford, said cannot reset code cause there is a issue somewhere. So made appt. next Monday, back to Ford. Jayco customer service is involved in this issue now. There is no Lemon Law when it comes to RVs. Or I would have a Lawyer by NOW!
Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

Check Engine light on way home from dealer

We had the same problem with our 2016 Jayco Precept 29UR. On the way home from taking delivery of the unit the Check Engine Light went on. Ugh...

Called Ford - apparently they said that they are seeing this more and more on the 2016 F53 chassis - suggested a firmware update might fix it.

Went to Ford commercial truck center yesterday - they ran the codes and turns out there where two. One code triggered at Zero miles was due to the engine being started without the fuel level sensor bring plugged in. The second code triggered at mile 230 because the misfire profile learning had not been done on the chassis and the PCM thought there was a misfire in the coach.

Tech cleared the two codes, checked the firmware status (was up to date) and ran the misfire learning profile/configuration.

Will let you know if that is the long term fix.
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #15

sjarr, thank you for the detailed followup.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #16

My check engine light came on on my first trip to Florida. The manual said if nothing was wrong it would go out after driving at highway speeds and turning on and off the engine a few times. This did work but every time I got fuel it would come on again. The problem is the vent tube is in the fill pipe. After the pump shut off I would fill the tank to the top of the fill pipe to get a few extra miles. Very wrong. As soon as the pump shuts off stop filling. I did and in over 5000 miles the check engine light has never come on again.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #17

Lenom Law for RVs do exist

Just a note from one of the comments above, depending on the state you purchased your RVs are covered by Lemon Laws. Florida, Indiana as examples both have lemon laws.

Best suggestion is if you think you have a problem work you way up the chain at customer service (Joyce Skinner) and then pull in Jayco's president (Tadd Jenkins).
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote