Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
D&R

CHF - yes or no

Has anyone done the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) on the rear of the new F53 chassis? Many say they’ve done it on the old chassis with positive results in improving handling. We have a 2021 Alante 29S. Asking for my DH. Thank you in advance for your input.
D&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:27 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R View Post
Has anyone done the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) on the rear of the new F53 chassis?

You're going to hear arguments on both sides. I did it to my 2019 and have no regrets, and it helped to some degree. Some people will say you should not and there have been some sway bars that have broken. Here's a video from a vendor that sells aftermarket chassis upgrades saying don't do it. Take that with a grain of salt.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...slIMSrwpLgbNSC

I think the bigger question is what handling characteristic are you trying to fix? What is the coach doing that you don't like/wish was better?

Steering Stabilizer - Rut Tracking, loose steering
CHF/Heavy Duty Sway Bars/Aux Sway Bars - Body roll, excessive roll around corners, off camber transitions
Trac Bar - Being pushed around by passing trucks and/or crosswind causing the rear end to feel loose, resulting in oversteer and/or loss of control?

Once we know that, providing a recommendation becomes alot easier. Don't mean to not answer the question directly, but this is one of those personal things like Ford vs Chevy, Pepsi vs Coke, etc... and everyond has different floorplans, loaded differently, with varying driving comfort zones, so its all about how you feel when driving the coach and what you would like to improve.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
D&R

Thank you for the information. We have added a rear trac bar and front steering stabilizer, but we are still getting blown around some. Since the CHF is free, we were just wondering if it would provide even more stability.
D&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #4

Ford changed the sway bars sometime around 2018/19 model year and no longer have the two hole sway bars so no you won't be able to do the CHF.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Ford changed the sway bars sometime around 2018/19 model year and no longer have the two hole sway bars so no you won't be able to do the CHF.
Yep,. No chf for 2021 alante 31v.

Gonna get some suck/push from semi’s and mainly those box moving trucks.

Check the steer stab (check and make sure front tires come back center after turning hard left/right, using levelers to get tires off ground). Mine did not come back from left since I did alignment after stab install.

Set to right psi after CAT weigh
Maybe sumos & koni’s

Happy with my mods for our 2021 31v, run 82psi.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
If you don't have the second holes on the sway bars, then you could review the Aux rear sway bar, that would add a second one, but seems odd you're being blown around after adding a trac bar. Check tire pressure, make sure you're set properly. I run 90, which is a bit high, but it seems to tighten up the steering a bit, but it also makes the ride a bit rougher. Sumo springs may help some with body roll.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #7

Our push/pull from semi’s not bad, I can drive with one hand most times. But Ohio/Ky/IN/ TN roads not the best.

I just usually have to just hold wheel a bit stronger but not bad. I usually drive at 68mph with cruise on, sumos/koni’s make going up to 75mph easier. Semi’s if they pass at same or higher speed don’t push as much unless we’re driving slower than 65.

Fresh tank at 1/3rd most times.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #8

I have a 2021 Alante 31v and I don't think you can do the CHP..might be wrong, but it doesn't look like it to me. Adding the steering stabilizer was a huge improvement for me. Driver fatigue is much less than before when I had to constantly struggle to keep the thing in my lane.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote