Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Class A Off pavement

We're new to having a Class A, and are coming from a truck camper. We typically camp in dispersed areas in the Northwest off logging roads and the sort. What has been your experience with your class A's getting off the beaten path? Are there any improvements or modifications you've made to do so? I know there are places we won't be able to go that we did before with the 4wd camper. But what are the realistic limitations? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1861.jpg  
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #2

Greetings from Snohomish! There isn't much you can do with the chassis/suspension to make a dirt road buggy out of the coach. We only have two months a year on the Western side that I would take my coach on a dirt road, the Eastern side our luck is better. Deflating tires for sand is a bad option since the wheels will wallow around in the tires. It doesn't take much for wheel spin to occur on less than asphalt roads so I would keep it on dry hard dirt roads in Eastern WA and nothing but pavement or gravel roads on the Western side.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

I thought I replied to this post yesterday. Hopefully SloPoke with chime in. He has a Super C and it sounds like he goes off in to the wilderness fairly often.

If it was me, I would be using google maps to help assess the roads in advance. If your towing a toad (4x4) you can always do a little scouting in advance.

The other thing I would look at, is your rear differential. Is it some type of limited slip? If not, might be a worthwhile upgrade to consider.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply guys. @Vicr, Not trying to make a dirt buggy out of it, just a little concerned about clearance issues with all the low hanging fiberglass. We do like to pull around our FJ40 on a trailer to somewhere nice up a potholey gravel road somewhere secluded to camp, then explore. @Jagiven, I haven't found information on whether we have a limited slip or not yet, but it's a good question! I do plan on upgrading the RV tires on the drive axle to something a little more aggressive, then saving a one for a spare. We'd planned on taking this skiing this year but kind of missed the season not knowing when we were getting our rig back from the dealer. We get to take our rig out to the coast for a real trip here in two weeks, we'll learn things and enjoy it for sure.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote