Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTK-JOE View Post
We haven't looked at any Seneca's but we did check their floor plans and prices. I agree 100% with everything you stated but they are just a little out of our price range. We may have to just settle on towing the trike and leave the car at home if we stick with pursuing a Precept.
Jayco's Seneca is not the only game in the "Super C" market. Check out Thor Motor Coach; they make a couple that sit on Ford's F-550 Diesel chassis (front end looks like a Ford Super Duty pickup). I've just been stalking them a bit on the interwebz, I'm not in the market, and so I haven't been inside one. But their prices are certainly more attractive than the Super C's on the Freightliner (or the older Kodiak). No too long ago, PPL Motorhomes out of Houston had a 2014 model on consignment for $85K. And they claim these can tow quite a bit (20K IIRC, but at least 10K).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #22

One thing I would add would be repairs.

I am guessing that almost any shop that works on big rigs could and would work on the Freightliner M2 power train (Seneca, Dynamax, Renegade ...). Most large truck stops have a diesel shop that could service these vehicles if needed.

If you get a cracked windshield in the m2 you can have it replaced for around $300. Not sure what a class A would cost.

I like the idea of an F550 front end. The one thing that worries me is any major repair on a Ford pick up truck diesel calls for lifting off the cab to do the repair. Not sure if the same procedure is called for on an F550 chassis cab. This would be very difficult and probably impractical on a motorhome. Maybe a repair like this would never be needed or perhaps it is not a big deal to do one.

I have an e450 class C and I have found many Ford dealers will not work on motorhomes. I have no experience with the super C's or class A's yet.

These are just the the things I have wondered about as I think about my next motorhome.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Wheelbase alone means nothing until you factor in the full length of the coach. Wheelbase/Coach length (inches) = Wheelbase ratio.

>56% usually lends itself to more stability while under way. Usually.
We did an initial deal on the new 2016 31UL. PDI and test drive to happen in the next few days and delivery next Wednesday if everything checks out. I will be getting it out on interstate for a good part of test drive so I can deal with being in traffic with some big rigs and maybe even some windy conditions.

I think we will be giving up a little crash safety on the road for more livability while camped by going with the Class A instead of a C. But going from a 39' fiver with 3 large slides that enabled a living room area so wide and long it had a walk-around island, the transition to a Class C was just too tight. As it is we still have to adjust not having side-by-side washer and dryer and king bed.

Thanks to all for ideas, information, and suggestions.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Started with a 31ul, handled terribly and had many serious issues. Traded out for a 35un, handles better but needs trac bar and other suspension improvements. Like the 35un floor plan much better than the 31. More floor space with slides in.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #25

Not sure if you travel in the south where temps can reach 100 degrees but with a class c you can close the curtain behind the driver and passenger seats and keep the cab cool and not have to run the generator for the a/c's to keep the whole coach cool. The Super C Seneca we have does not have heat on the engine compartment like F-450 chassis does. Price, well that's another subject.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #26

I've always found that if I keep a vent in the back open the chassis AC is usually adequate. W/ the back vent open it drafts the dash AC right through the coach. The E450 has a really nice AC compressor.

*You need vent covers to do this. Don't try this w/o vent covers*

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
Started with a 31ul, handled terribly and had many serious issues. Traded out for a 35un, handles better but needs trac bar and other suspension improvements. Like the 35un floor plan much better than the 31. More floor space with slides in.
Did about a 20 mile test drive. Dealer had put on full tank of fuel and 2/3 fresh water. None of our belongings are on yet of course.

My first impression was it didn't track that good. I wouldn't say it "wondered" but just seemed a little top heavy for 65mph on a non-windy day. Complete PDI not completed yet so I am not sure if tires are even up to air specs. I am hoping that once we load our belongings, mostly between the axles, it will handle a little better. I know from weighing my F350 and 5th wheel several times that our complete package of personal property weighs in around 900 to 1,000 pounds (pots, pan, food, clothing, basement stuff, etc.).

I don't know where the fresh water tank is located. I would hope it has baffles in it and not just an open square tank. Does anyone know the answer to this? If it doesn't have some type of baffling system inside of it I am guessing that could effect the handling.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #28

My fresh water tank is just an open square plastic tank, all our RVs have had the same even from different manufacturers. I don't think they would go to the expense of adding baffles in the fresh water tank.
Fuel tanks do have various baffles for various reasons.

I would start by asking for a front end alignment before you get too far away, they don't do that at all after extending the frame and loading the coach structure. After that if you still aren't satisfied, add a rear trac bar. That will stop the tail wagging the dog and need for over steering.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #29

If you get a 31ul with short wheelbase and smaller tires you will not be happy without adding suspension upgrades, which equals lots of money.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #30

Joe, make sure the tires have proper inflation. Mine were at 87 lbs. I called my guy who builds custom coaches and he said that's like driving on flat tires. I increased the pressure to 108 cold (tires say 110 max cold) and it was like a completely different coach.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Joe, make sure the tires have proper inflation. Mine were at 87 lbs. I called my guy who builds custom coaches and he said that's like driving on flat tires. I increased the pressure to 108 cold (tires say 110 max cold) and it was like a completely different coach.
Like I said in my post, it really doesn't "wonder" but just doesn't track perfectly. Of course that was on Illinois highways which are the worse in the nation. During upcoming PDI I will have my digital tire gauge with me and make sure I am close to max pressure in all six tires.

We will be camped within 5 miles of selling dealer for another month before heading south so I feel comfortable being able to take my time with any needed adjustments.

Thanks to all for comments.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #32

Joe, your comment about Illinois reads interested me. Are you not buying your coach in Florida? If you are buying up north and will drive to Florida and take 65 through Indiana, you may change your mind. Good luck. OBTW, we may spend the winter at Tamiami.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #33

Bob, we had sold the F350 diesel last fall and had stored our Montana up here in the Peoria area. We had pretty much decided to either sell the fiver up there or trade it this year. With 5 kids and 13 grandkids still in Peoria, Rockford, Bloomington, and Wilmette, we return to this area every summer for a couple months.

We will head south on Sunday, October 2nd. For the past 3 years we have always taken I-57 to I-24 to I-65 to US Rt. 231 to I-10 to I-75. It is about 50 miles further than going through Atlanta but no big elevations and we actually like the drive through Alabama better no matter if we are towing or not. Going the way we do, Nashville is the only congested area and we usually stay in Clarksville so we can hit Nashville around 5:30 or 6am going south.

Are you talking about Tamiami CG right across from the Shell Factory in North Ft. Myers? If so we will have to get together. I will be making some calls next week to try to get a storage spot in the fenced area connected to the back of their property.
When are you heading down?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #34

new 2017 are 228 . i have one
Tvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I've noticed the Jayco Precepts have very low wheelbase/length ratios. How do they drive? I've read all over where you want 55-56% + - my Greyhawk has 58% but the Precept I just checked out was only at 51%. ???
We noted the steering problems in the new 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL when we did the test drive, but our salesman assured us that it was fine. Well...it isn't. Why should we as new buyers have to pay to have swaybars installed. It bottomed out when backing out of our driveway, which only has a very, very slight slope. The back-end separated from the body. There are numerous warranty issues. We've used it for five days. The rest of the summer since beginning of June, it's been at the dealership. I would never recommend buying any Jayco product.
wheelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
If you get a 31ul with short wheelbase and smaller tires you will not be happy without adding suspension upgrades, which equals lots of money.
We noted the steering problems in the new 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL when we did the test drive, but our salesman assured us that it was fine. Well...it isn't. Why should we as new buyers have to pay to have swaybars installed. It bottomed out when backing out of our driveway, which only has a very, very slight slope. The back-end separated from the body. There are numerous warranty issues. We've used it for five days. The rest of the summer since beginning of June, it's been at the dealership. I would never recommend buying any Jayco product.
wheelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #37

Never believe anything a salesmen tells you. They want to make the sale, period. 31ul wheelbase at 190 or so is far too short. Got rid of ours and got a 35un, very happy with this one, but still needs track bar and steering stabilizer.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #38

Back to the C or A we wanted a 29MV we changed our minds on three things lack of storage, lack of fresh water and wastewater and living space turning the drivers seat and passengers seat around makes a huge difference in living space. We have not had any issues with our 31ul drive ability we bought it used for the same price of the 29mv with 4800 mile we have 8200 know. The engine is not the same in the class A the B has less valves and less horse power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #39

Had a 31ul, lemon, wheel base too short, bad handling, got a 35un, much better but wish we bought a Seneca.