Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #1

Coleman Mach Luke warm air

Hello everyone, I need some help.
Recently just purchased a 2018 Jayco Precept RV 35'. For the most part it is in fantastic condition. We picked it up after inspection and they didn't have all the warranty work done (small things light covers, shade replacement, shower travel lock etc). We brought it home and they never called us back to get stuff finished, so I called and hassled them as there were a few more things to fix but still minor. We took it back and they fixed it and we have had it back for a week. 4 days ago I noticed that the front living heat pump was only blowing luke warm air. Normally it blows HOT as I get stuffed out fast, so this was unusual. I tried AC and also Luke cool air lol. I checked the fuse in box near back and took out fuse, heater immediately powered off. Fuse looked good and put back in and turned heat on again (Elec mode) and same Luke warm. Turned thermostat to LPG and furnace kicked on no problem and hot. Turned Stat off, waited to cycle off and turned back to heat elec with same issue.
I have 2 units on individual thermostats and the bedroom one works fantastic. Both stats are AIRXCEL and have FAN LO, FAN HI, COOL HI, COOL LO, COOL LO AUTO, COOL HI AUTO, HEAT ELEC, HEAT GAS.
I usually only use ELEC mode as we are hooked up to a 30AMP RV power source. It worked fine when we dropped it off and although they didn't work on the system that I know of, it now doesn't work as it should in the front HP unit. The mesh filters under the covers are clean also..
Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions on what to do?
I called the place to get immediate service as we just bought this and bought an extended warranty also, but they conveniently are booked until end of June although the service coordinator told me 1 week. We are moving to TN in a few weeks and I MUST have this fixed. Any suggestions are appreciated.
clausen2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #2

The first thing is to verify filter is clean which you did. The next is to very compressor coming on and off. Set unit on low cool (not auto as the fan coming on and off can mask the sound of the compressor). and set temperature 5 degrees above room temperature. Allow fan to come on and run. After a minute or two, turn temperature setting down to a few degrees below ambient. Listen to hear if the compressor comes on. You should hear a thump or change in background noise. If you don’t hear this change you could need a new start relay or capacitor issue. Both fairly easy repairs and cost. If you hear the compressor start allow it ten minutes and see if it cools if not you might have compressor or refrigerant issues these are more expensive but also fairly easy fixes provided parts are available.

I am going through this process now as I have the same issue. Just waiting for rain to stop so I can get on roof it test my capacitor and relays as I don’t hear the compressor running.

Good luck and safe travels.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:29 AM   #3

If your AC/Heat Pump compressor is cycling on.... then it's pretty much one of two things.

1. nothing is wrong... i.e., Heat Pump air will feel luke warm, even cool, because the heated air is only about 90* (degs). It feels cool because of the temp being below your body temp and "wind chill" effect. So measure the air temp coming from the ducts after a few minutes of running.

2. your AC/Heat Pump unit needs servicing or replaced... i.e, refrigerant low or compressor/heat exchanger is shot.

Mark
Old 05-12-2021, 04:31 AM   #4

Have you checked the Capacitor(s)? They are under the cover of the rooftop side of the unit. Usually covered by a metal plate. It is a fairly common point of failure.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #5

What was the outside temp? If around 38-40 you may be only getting the heat strip since that is when the HP itself stops functioning.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
If its a heat pump, then the changeover valve could be stuck on cool and the electric heat could be running all the time. That would account for luke warm and luke cool air all the time. It could be the thermostat giving conflicting commands to the AC. You could check that by pulling the T-Stat and energizing things one at a time to verify. For example, you could energize the fan and the compressor and you should get cold air. If you do the fan, compressor, and changeover valve, you should get warm to hot air if the changeover valve is working properly. This would take some understading of the AC system you have and knowing what to energize and what not to.

If the T-stats are the same front and rear, you could try swapping them to see if the problem moves or not. If it does move to the back its the T-stat, if not its the AC unit.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #7

Our Coleman Mach 8 (15K) unit just lost all refrigerant last year. Three or four years old and it was trash. Checked the caps, checked the compressor - nope. All of the refrigerant had leaked out.

$800 for a new one.