Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #1

Colorado, Montrose to Denver

I am currently in Montrose Colorado on my way to Denver. I do not know which is the best way to go with a Jayco 31P towing a Jeep to get to Golden Colorado. Is highway 92 to highway 133 to highway 70 the best way to go? I really wish to avoid tough climbs. ( Monarch Pass).

Thank you for your input if you have traveled this route.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #2

We were at the Royal Gorge and Montrose/Black Canyon of the Gunnison last summer exiting 1-25 at Pueblo. I don't recall that it was hilly, so going to I-25 may be a possible option for you. Leaving Black Canyon of the Gunnison we headed to Denver via Grand Junction (i-70) which indeed had some tough climbs though it was very doable. Safe travels
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

We were in a Class C Jayco Greyhawk, also towing a Jeep Wrangler
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #4

I haven't been up that way in over a year, however I have traveled that area extensively over the years. I would suggest to take 50 to 70E if you want the easiest climbs and best roads, or as you stated you could take 50 North to 92 to 133 which may be shorter and perhaps more scenic but has a bit more grades to climb and a few passes (not as steep as Monarch pass if I remember correctly) and even though I think that way is shorter, it isn't really any quicker or easier. ~CA
Old 06-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #5

Those giving advise from previous years, might need to check with CDOT....
https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm
US 50 has closed (west of Curecanti) most every work day, for construction; so Monarch Pass isn't even an option except on weekends.

Your best bet right now is to go (the wrong way) to Grand Junction and then take I70 into Denver.

And, you are on the western slope. So, there really isn't a way to avoid a 10,000+ pass, to get to Denver.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
I am currently in Montrose Colorado on my way to Denver. I do not know which is the best way to go with a Jayco 31P towing a Jeep to get to Golden Colorado. Is highway 92 to highway 133 to highway 70 the best way to go? I really wish to avoid tough climbs. ( Monarch Pass).

Thank you for your input if you have traveled this route.
I hope this catches you in time. I-70 both east and west bound is currently closed through the Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs due to burn scare mud slides. Check CDOT web site here https://www.cotrip.org/travelAlerts.htm#?roadId= US 50 east of Montrose has restricted lane closures during the week, but has been open on Sat and Sun. Check the same web site above. We just traveled US 50 a week ago on a Sunday with no problems, slow going but OK. We drive a MB Sprinter class C and Monarch pass is no problem. But we drive the mountains all the time and are used to being patient going over passes.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #7

Yeah, cotrip is mandatory for travel, right now.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #8

We are to pass thru montrose on the way to Gunnison on Friday. we are under the 70’ maximum and will be taking the detour thru the black canyon of the gunnison. Our oldest daughter lives in gunnison and said we would be fine. Take your time and stop at the pullouts to enjoy the scenery. Rolling in a f250 w/264bh.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #9

We got caught in the I70 issue.We went around. We are currently in Steamboat Springs, will continue to Golden tomorrow.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote