Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Converter in 31UL

We are getting really close to pulling the trigger and buying a motorhome. Our choices are the 31UL, the 35S and maybe one other that we will look at tomorrow (used). We started this adventure when we saw the layout of the 31UL, but that lead to more looking and confusion. We really like the 35, but aren't keen on the length. The biggest drawback to the 31 is the bed size. We currently have a short queen and my husband is 6'2.

Here's my converter question. We were thinking we could add a piece of plywood about 5" deep to the end of the bed platform on a piano hinge. We could then pull the mattress and put some foam or cushions at the top of the bed thus making the mattress longer. However, my husband saw that the converter is under the bed, and being that he's an electrician, he's concerned about the heat if it's covered that much. Seems to think it's a bad place for the converter. Has anyone had any problems with it over heating. Any input would be great. We are going to look again tomorrow.
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Can't say we've noticed any heat coming from the converter.

A word of caution regarding that bed extension idea of adding a hinged 5" piece of plywood. With any extension, you'll lose walk-by space between the cabinet and you'll need to make sure you don't sit on the end when extended. Also, you'll need to make double sure you've removed the extension before closing slide, otherwise you'll be damaging the cabinet.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #3

Wiring under the bed

Hi, I would check the under the bed and make sure the wires are connected and not just laying in a nest and properly secured and routed. This has been a huge problem with our coach. I won't get into everything that went wrong because of the wiring but I will say it has taken well over 5 months to repair it and I do mean 5 months. The entire coach was rewired. The buzzing noise was because the wiring was loose and not connected properly Yes the heat was bad enough that they cut vents into the bed frame to vent from under the bed.
Peppyny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. In the end, we ended up purchasing a 2016 Precept 35S that should arrive to the dealer within a couple of weeks. No worries on the short queen. As we have heard over the years, when buying an rv, buy your last one first. When we bought our tent trailer, we bought the largest made at the time and we loved it dearly. Plenty of room for the kids and their friends. Owned that for 7 or 8 years. When we moved up to a travel trailer, we bought one that we knew would last us many years and have the space we needed. We have owned it for near 10 years. Now as we move up to a motorhome and are nearing retirement, we bought the one that would serve us well as we are able to travel for longer periods of time.

We are beyond excited to take delivery of the 35S. Our dealer was amazing to work with.

Kelly
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote