Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

CPAP Users

I have a 2018 Alante 31V and neither of the outlets at bedside operate with the inverter so unless plugged in or running the generator you can't use a CPAP unit. However, in digging around I found several battery back-up systems made specifically for CPAP machines. They claim to be able to operate a system foe 24-48 hours depending on use of heated hoses and humidifier. Has anyone tried these? Looks like the 24 volt I need with all the bells and whistles runs close to $250.00. This seems easier and less expensive than upgrading batteries, inverters and re-wiring outlets. Any feedback?
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Team

We have no idea as to what size the battery is in the power unit (AmpHour rating), so it would be difficult to determine how much time you will get out of the battery. I doubt very much that you will get 8 hours with the humidifier.

Based on my unit, with the humidifier running.. (only way I can use it), it uses between 4 and 5 amps. So, running it for 8 hours could use between 32 and 40AhHrs each night.

If you go up to the GOLD bar above and click on Search, enter CPCP and you will find a lot of member information regarding CPAP connections. There is one post about a 12VDC to 24VDC converter a lot less than $250.

I rewired my setup for using the TT batteries.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

Do you have a TV in your bedroom? If so, it should be powered by your inverter. Run an extension cord from that plug to your CPAP.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

I use a battery for mine. Medistrom pilot-24. Have to turn off the hose heater to make it last though but not the end of the world. Makes it through the night. I have a charger for it too which is handy. I attached pics. Sorrry for the sideways pics
Attached Thumbnails
charger.jpg   battery.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
RWK

I have a 31V. After having 6volt golf cart batteries installed the dealer tripped the inverter and it needed reset. We found it under the bed after a lot of looking. It would be quite easy to plug an extention cord into the outlet on the inverter or hard wire a new outlet at the beds base.

The box surrounding all the wiring was poorly constructed, it houses all the main wiring for the coach. When I pulled two scews on the cover under the bed things kind of flopped over. I built a stronger structure and put magnetic closures on the lid so I can lift the lid without removing screws and what not. I figured the inverter would need accessed agin in the future.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
Do you have a TV in your bedroom? If so, it should be powered by your inverter. Run an extension cord from that plug to your CPAP.
Quite right... there is an outlet behind the bedroom TV, with a second plugin for a DVD/Blu-ray. It's powered by the 1,000 watt inverter and can be used for anything you want.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote