Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Cracked fiberglass issue

I was fixing a rear top marker light today and noticed this cracked area in the fiberglass housing at the top where it meets the roof. Is this something that can be fixed and if so how would you do it? Its a 2018 Precept 31UL if that matters but I am the second owner and Jayco said the two-year warranty is void now that I bought it and only for the original owner.
Attached Thumbnails
crack.jpg  
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Well since Jayco won’t honor their two year warranty (even though the coach has only been used once and has 1413 miles on it) I was forced to come up with an alternative fix though I doubt it will last long. It appears that there is something poking up from under the shell in two places causing a slight hump and the spidering of the fiberglass. Hopefully it is settled and doesn’t poke all the way through. I found this stuff at Home Depot next to the Flex Seal tape (reviews said it was junk so I went with the fiber seal stuff). I guess time will tell if it lasts but it sure was sticky and sealed everything up nicely. I’ll come back in a year and post an update.
Attached Thumbnails
BE1D2FB1-D7FC-43BB-9BFD-F5E6EA2286C3.jpg   9F95A139-DAC2-4638-9BCD-A6DFF2159369.jpg   731B12F2-886C-4626-ABA9-F02C6D84340D.jpg  
Old 09-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopalgangr View Post
Well since Jayco won’t honor their two year warranty (even though the coach has only been used once and has 1413 miles on it) I was forced to come up with an alternative fix though I doubt it will last long
The owner's manual and JAYCO's website is and always has been specific that the warranty is non transferable and only applies to the original owner.

As to your repair if you buy a small roll of ETERNABOND TAPE and use it, the repair will last about 15 years..

https://www.google.com/search?q=eter...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise Grumpy, I’ll keep an eye on the stuff I put on for now since I haven’t a clue how I would get it off. Since that stuff would last 15yrs why don’t they just use it for the seams instead of the Dicor self leveling caulk?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Since that stuff would last 15yrs why don’t they just use it for the seams instead of the Dicor self leveling caulk?
The $64,000 question that would apply to the majority of manufacturers. Probably cost as well as it takes more time to install
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The $64,000 question that would apply to the majority of manufacturers. Probably cost as well as it takes more time to install
This guy went hog wild with the stuff. Got me thinking maybe I should do the same?
Especially since you can’t see it from the ground

https://youtu.be/GlY-qgv95BY
Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
This guy went hog wild with the stuff. Got me thinking maybe I should do the same?
Especially since you can’t see it from the ground

https://youtu.be/GlY-qgv95BY
So did I and you should too, but many people don't want to take the time or spend money. If your roof is tan, it comes in that color.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #8

Ordering some today. Any certain width that you would recommend as a catch all size? Also would you remove the Dicor or just put it over it?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Ordering some today. Any certain width that you would recommend as a catch all size? Also would you remove the Dicor or just put it over it?
4" you can always lap the edge and double.