Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
MrG

i have the precept 31UL(22gvwr) just did the sumo springs front/back, roadmaster SD and the roadmaster second rear swaybar and last one on the list is the rear trac-bar(not installed yet) i did them one at a time to judge their effect and i would recommend the whole lot, rough roads are still rough no change there but on smooth roads(freeway) the ride is much improved and tracks straight as an arrow now, i drive between 65-75mph and even tried 80mph on the test drive (200mile loop) and the DW says its even alittle quieter the MH is starting to drive like a large sedan...one big thing with the sumo springs when you have big drop offs in the pavement on the freeway/overpass joints the front end only bounces once...i can drive the MH with one hand on the wheel or a couple fingers no more sawing the wheel...
MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #22

Our Precept drove 35S ok from day one but we had the ride/handling issues that are typical on the F53 chassis. We had the wheels aligned before we took delivery. I did the CHF and I pay close attention to tire pressure. The CHF and tire pressure made a noticeable improvement but not life changing.

We decided to install the LiquidSpring suspension system on our coach. It was expensive (a little under $9K total) but the result is astonishing. It's a completely different driving experience. It's much quieter, much smoother, and handles significantly better. Overall it's much easier to drive and the wind and trucks don't push us around nearly as much.

We were flirting with the idea of a diesel pusher for several reasons, ride and drivability being only two. However, the LiquidSpring suspension has taken those two reasons off the table. We may still someday buy a DP but ride/handling won't be major factors any more. I'm sure a DP will drive better but until if/when we make that jump we're extremely happy with the improvement the LiquidSpring suspension made. Expensive, but IMO well worth it. YMMV.
Bisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #23

Rear trac bar and steering stabilizer

Last week I had installed a SuperSteer, rear trac bar and a Safe-T-Plus steering control unit. I also did the "cheap fix" on the front control stabilizer. I run tire pressure at 95 PSI. I will test it out next week on a 200 mile trip and report on how it handles.
mountaineyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #24

So... after $5K and sever upgrades my 26AY now rides and handles like a new coach, no more thumps and thuds when crossing bridges, tar strips and normal pot holes, along with rumble strips no longer rattle my eyeballs. I can hardly feel stuff that used to bounce everything around. Rear trac bar, CHF, and Safety-T-Steer & uping the tire pressure to 95 took care of the handling issue, and the Kelderman Air Suspension system made a 100% improvement in the ride, so much so that my DW is impressed. Add in the sound deadening work and we now have an RV that is fun to drive. As I got the coach new for 76K I didn't mind the added expense <too much> as we plan to keep it for some time. For anyone with a F53 coach with a hard and harsh ride thinking of doing an upgrade, I can't recommend the Kelderman system enough, consists of new leaf springs, trac bar, shocks (if you haven't upgraded those already) and the air bags specifically designed for the F53 SD RV chassis. For the F53 this system is the BOMB!, but at $2600 plus install ($1100 at my shop) it may not be for everyone.

PS, Jayco's touted J-Ride is a marketing ploy and does not improve the F53 at all.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #25

Sounds. Like it really did you a great job. Shame jride doesn’t ride or drive as marketed. Will have to look at this air ride. Thanks and great travels.
Tightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineyedoc View Post
I purchased an Alante 31P in March 2017. Its my first motorhome and I do love it but it needed help. I had trouble with the back end scraping and the white knuckle ride especially when trucks going the opposite direction on a 2 lane road go by. YIKES!! I to went to Redlands Truck and RV and the lifted the rear about 3-4" and what a difference! Haven't scraped terra firma in a long time. I'm going to bite the bullet and change shocks, add the steering stabilizer, and do the cheap fix. I am presently trying to reduce all the road and motor noise. There are some great posts on how to do this. I tore the carpet out only to find bare wood, thin fiber underlay, and gaps around the doghouse. That is a major project but I'll be done soon and post pics on another thread. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions on any of these projects please let me know. I also purchased some recliners for about $750 to replace the sofa. I have not installed them yet but the dealer wanted $4000 to install the Jayco recliners. These after market recliners almost match perfectly for the grey uphostery I have. One more project is adding a sound bar and sub-woofer.
This is like a house that when you buy it you need to fix dumb things done by the builder!
Do you know what they did to raise the rear end of the RV?
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #27

I had rear axle Sumo springs installed. The cost at Redlands RV in southern California was about $1200. My coach would scrape every time I pulled onto my driveway before install. Hasn't scraped since. Worth it to me but expensive.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Last week I had installed a SuperSteer, rear trac bar and a Safe-T-Plus steering control unit. I also did the "cheap fix" on the front control stabilizer. I run tire pressure at 95 PSI. I will test it out next week on a 200 mile trip and report on how it handles.
Curious on your results.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #29

Wow! What a difference! After all my upgrades and add-ons to my Alante I can report the ride is night and day. I can relax while driving because it no longer drifts or sways. I did the cheap fix, then added the tract bar and the steering stabilizer. This seems to have done the trick. I have stock Bilstein shocks and now I'm just going to stick with them.
My final assessment is that my Alante with JRide was a chore to drive and wandered especially when trucks drove past me in the opposite direction but after my upgrades it is a pleasure to drive!! Well worth it!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to bhenry44 Send a message via Skype™ to bhenry44
what make is the trac bar?

Quote:
Wow! What a difference! After all my upgrades and add-ons to my Alante I can report the ride is night and day. I can relax while driving because it no longer drifts or sways. I did the cheap fix, then added the tract bar and the steering stabilizer. This seems to have done the trick. I have stock Bilstein shocks and now I'm just going to stick with them.
My final assessment is that my Alante with JRide was a chore to drive and wandered especially when trucks drove past me in the opposite direction but after my upgrades it is a pleasure to drive!! Well worth it!
Been following the posts and am wondering which make of trac bar is being installed?

Thanks
bhenry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #31

I used the SuperSteer brand on my 22K 2016 chassis 31UL, it fit up very well and had the positive effect on the handling as others have noted.
Pandara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #32

We had the JRidePLus in our 2016 Greyhawk and liked it a lot. We just traded up to the Precept because it has it and the ride. Difference between the Precept and Alante, in my opinion, is night and day. We are on our maiden voyage now and the ride has been great
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #33

I installed the SS400 Supersteer Trac Bar from SuperSteer Parts. Cost $525.
I installed myself then had Redlands RV torque and adjust for $75. FYI the steering stabilizer is the Safe-T-Plus Red unit140#. I didn't trust my skills on this so I paid full cost about $1000 installed.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #34

15K miles on our 16 Precept 35S and no problems with J-Ride stock rig. Maybe I don't know what 'really great handling' could feel like, but we are satisfied.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #35
MrG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenry44 View Post
Been following the posts and am wondering which make of trac bar is being installed?

Thanks
i have the supersteer, their all pretty much the same pick your favorite
Old 11-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #36

I am a first time RV owner. Owned our Alante since March and used it 7 times so far. My only comparison is the stock set up and the upgrade set up. Upgrade made driving so much more enjoyable but I would enjoy the stock also. My sound deadening project also help make the drive more enjoyable.
Hope this info useful!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #37
MrG

here's some pics just cause...everybody likes pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0639.jpg   IMG_0644.jpg   IMG_0666.jpg   IMG_0649.jpg   IMG_0553.jpg  

Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #38

@MrG that looks quite a bit beefier than the stock suspension! Kudos to you! Where did you find your lizard friend?
Old 12-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #39
MrG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
@Mtg that looks quite a bit beefier than the stock suspension! Kudos to you! Where did you find your lizard friend?
yes indeed drives like a sports motorhome if you can even say that, i found the lizard on my shoe in the backyard, quite the speedy fellow...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0552.jpg  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
here's some pics just cause...everybody likes pics
I have the rear trac bar done, but not the air bags. What do you think the biggest advantage of using the air bags is?