Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Did anyone stick with just the JRIDE?

So I'm planning on buying the Alante and wondering if anyone just stuck with the JRIDE and is happy. So many people have spent thousands more to make changes. I'm hoping not to invest even more money into a new coach. Anyone happy with the JRIDE alone? I'm coming from a small, old class c so I'm not sure what to expect.

baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #2

Just home from a 6,800 mile trek, we found the J Ride fine on good interstate highways but on poorer roads, not. We've talked about upgrading but like you, want to avoid the expense.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

We purchase our 2016 Alante 26x (New) one year ago. I did the CHF immediately front and back. We traveled to the RGV Mission TX with minor ride issues. We did the Natchez Trace, incredible road and drive, which showed we needed the tires re-balanced. (Dealer paid). Once the balance was done and tire pressure upped to 100 psi the ride was much better. I travel with water tank about 1/3 rd full, and at around 62/63 mph which seems to be the sweet spot. Averaged 8.3 MPG with some generator use. Traveled both interstate and many state highways without being uncomfortable. Biggest thing I had to learn was anticipating crosswinds and semi trucks (don't follow too close). Maybe we got lucky, but I don't think my Alante needs expensive upgrades; I may add Safe-T-Plus just for safety. Pulled our Nissan on a dolly last trip, maybe my imagination but seemed to help with passing trucks. My previous drive was a F350 diesel with 37 ft 5th wheel, I like my Alante more.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

"I did the CHS immediately.." ??CHS?

soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
"I did the CHS immediately.." ??CHS?

That's CHF for cheap handling fix. I read about it on another forum. It stiffens the anti sway bar. Google "cheap Handling Fix" there is a lot of information and testimonials. Here is a link
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
RWK

I hated the ride. I did spend money and I am very happy with my results. Particularly by adding a rear leaf spring and a one inch spacer. The tail end of our 31V dragged and scraped through intersections and driveways. Hell our rear jacks would rub on speed bumps. But that's just me everybody has their level of comfort vs cost.
Good luck
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
I hated the ride. I did spend money and I am very happy with my results. Particularly by adding a rear leaf spring and a one inch spacer. The tail end of our 31V dragged and scraped through intersections and driveways. Hell our rear jacks would rub on speed bumps. But that's just me everybody has their level of comfort vs cost.
Good luck
The jacks can be adjusted if they are too low. I think I read the correct factory setting was 10" clearance to the ground.
I did the CHF front and rear, Koni FSD shocks and a SafeTsteer steering stabilizer. Night and day difference.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #8

I only did the chf, properly set tire pressure and had the dealer do an alignment before delivery. After a 5,300 mile trip to the west and back, all but crappy roads were comfortable to drive on. We drive with the fresh tank about 1/3 full, which I think is better than full so the tail is not so heavy.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

Before you switch out your factory Bilstein shocks read this comparison. I know it is dated and shock quality is probably better today than in 2009 but an interesting read. Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test | Motorhome Magazine
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

With nearly 9,000 miles on my 2016 31ul. I am ok with the performance but wished it was on the longer wheelbase that the newer 2018 comes with. Don't know what Ford would do about a warranty claim on a unit with altered suspension.

preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote