Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Smile Difference between a 2016 and 2017 Precept 35S

Hello, I am new to this forum and I appreciate all the great information.
We have decided to buy a Precept 35S. However, we are not sure at the moment if we should go with a 2016 or 2017 model.
For starters we are looking for the difference between the two models (hardware, not financial etc.).
The other thing when we checked the 35S, we found difference in some of the hardware as per example:
1. Not all 2016 have GPS (how about the 2017)?
2. Also some of the Precept had a switch mounted for the backup camera and some not why?
3. Some of the 2017 models had an “Accent Light” switch some not, what is the “Accent Light” switch for and is it standard on the 2017 35S?
4. Is the 12 Cu Ft, 4-Door Refrigerator gas/electric or 12 Volt or 110 Volt?
5. Is a propane connector for an external grill in the propane compartment standard or an option?
6. Some of the Precept 35S had a steering problem. Has this now been resolved at the Factory with the adjustment on the steering lash, or is it need still to be adjusted afterwards?

Sorry for multiple questions in one thread. I hope that one or the other can be answered. Thank you in advance.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

I'm curious if you have discussed this with a salesperson and how much they were able to help.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

Sadie, we took delivery of our 2016 35S in April. To answer some of your questions:
1. We have the Jensen AV unit and it has the GPS. Although I have never used it. Old school, maps work just fine.
2. The camera controls are part of our Jensen AV unit.
3. Jayco added a light fixture between the dinette window and the couch window, that might be the accent light you are refering to.
4. We have the 4 door fridge and it runs on 12v, 120v or propane.
5. The propane connector I believe is standard but it is low pressure so basically useless unless you buy a low pressure grill or some type of conversion kit for high pressure grills.
6. Our 35S had a severe steering issue as the steering wheel had to be turned 15 degrees to the left to go straight. I took it to a truck alignment shop and they aligned the front end. Turned out both front wheels were toed-in 2 degrees. Jayco authorized and paid for the alignment by reimbursing me.

A couple of other changes:
2016 had a rear ladder, that is now discontinued.
2017 has nicer sinks, the 2016's are POS's (I'm going to replace mine)
2017 has a tile backsplash.
2017 has the removable table for between the captains chairs. ( I'm going to order the hardware and build a table top to match the couch table my wife bought at Crate and Barrel.

I've been a commercial/industrial electrician for 34 years and in my younger days was a complete gearhead and I've gone thru every square inch of my coach and have spent hours completing the quality control items that Jayco (or any other gas class A builder) doesn't do. All in all it's a great coach and I'm looking forward to retiring in a couple years so I can enjoy it more often.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

We visited several Dealers with the Precept 31UL and 35S on the lot. Unfortunately, they only know that much. Not to be negative, they have many different models and types that they have to know the basic, so we don't really expect much.
I also have contacted Jayco Customer Service with now result. That was a little disappointing. Maybe they are busy and think that this should be answered by a dealer.
So to answer your question: what you see in my first post is what is left of my questionnaire to the sales person(s).
Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Thank you Vcir, great answers, this really answers allmost my questions.
The accent light switch I refer is on the left side of the driver seat beside (I think) the shade switch.

I agree it is all in all it's a great coach! We have researched many Class A, but for the money you get the most features, that are standard.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Thank you Sadie. Before a mid life career switch I was the VP of sales for a couple companies. What I see and hear from RV salespeople makes me shake my head in amazement. Good luck in your research.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

VICR, your fridge runs on 12VDC? Did you change your 120VAC outlet to be on the rectifier circuit, or how?
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

OOps!Just the control circuit runs on 12v.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
We visited several Dealers with the Precept 31UL and 35S on the lot. Unfortunately, they only know that much. Not to be negative, they have many different models and types that they have to know the basic, so we don't really expect much.
The dealer should be able to tell you the differences (both standard features and options). When I was ordering earlier this year, I initially picked options with the dealer based on a 2016. My wonderful sales lady then contacted me to say that my camper would in fact be a 2017. Over the phone, she went over the changes and emailed me a sheet with those changes. I confirmed what I wanted as far as options based on these changes. My sales lady was awesome. I see no reason the dealer shouldn't be able to answer your questions. Not saying they should have the info memorized but they have access to the info and should be able to produce it. At least my sales lady was able to do so.

And by the way. Welcome to the forum and have fun shopping...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

whats for 2017 31UL

I'm not sure about the 35, but the attached shows the 2017 improvements for the 31UL.
I suspect many are similar. I believe the 35 was already on the 22K chassis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Whats New-2017 Precept.pdf (56.6 KB, 43 views)
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
precept 35s