Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Dog house removal

Has anyone removed the dog house in a 2016 Precept? I am told there are 6 screws but they are buried in the carpet and are not obvious. I have probed the carpet with my fingers and even tried a strong magent to no avail. Anyone who has removed theirs, please let me know where to look. Thanks
Btandros47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

Type "doghouse removal" in the search bar and look at sjarr's post with photo's.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #3

Btandros47,
The process is a bear to pull off. You really need to at least remove the center console. The lower part of the console is attached to the doghouse using Robertson screws (2 of them I recall). I believe there are 8 screws buried in the carpet attaching the doghouse to the aluminum shroud around the engine. Since I didn't know exactly what I was doing at the time, I decided to remove the center console and the entire lower dashboard, which really wasn't too hard. I just made pictures every step of the way so I could recall how to reassemble it. A vacuum hose had popped off resulting in a rough idle condition, prompting me to remove the doghouse back in August.

The doghouse has no insulation, so I bought so inexpensive FrostKing insulation and Gorilla tape to provide sound deadening, which worked very well! Instead of reattaching the doghouse with screws, I used these handy clamps (4 in all) to secure it and I did not replace the Robertson screws. Next time, the process should be much easier!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7827.jpg   IMG_7837.jpg   IMG_7852.jpg   IMG_7854.jpg   IMG_7863.jpg  

IMG_7856.jpg  
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the info. It has been a big help! I always thought I was handy but I still am not able to find all the screws. I found two in the back of the box, facing the rear of the coach and the two behind the radio/heater panel but still can’t seem to locate the others. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #5

Or do a search.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

???
Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #7

Type "doghouse removal" in the search bar and look at sjarr's post with photo's.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-49962-2.html

This post above has a little more information than sjarr's, whose post is more about sound deadening and NOT about removing the dog house.

The doghouse is basically a box sitting on top of the engine with the center console resting in the middle of it. I removed as many screws as I could find, the I used a flathead screwdriver to pry up on the doghouse (keep in my mind I had completely removed the center console and the lower dash, so I knew nothing else could be holding it down except the screws at the base.) Any point that I found resistance, I started digging through the carpet. There is no way to keep the carpet whole. You will have to pull some of it away from the doghouse, as evident in the post above. You can always hot glue it back.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote