Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #1

Dog Tie Mod

Every time I go camping I'm looking for a good place to tether the dog.
I don't like attaching to the steps because my 85lb girl could bend them. The picnic table is never good because she just gets tangled up. We came up with this simple modification by drilling a small hole through the basement floor and attached a long threaded eye hook. It work's well and is low enough not to mark up the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Tie.jpg   Dog Tie 2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #2

That's cool, but if your dog can bend your steps then I'm sure she could bend that too. I fully understand the picnic table thing... our BBQ has been taken out multiple times all because a chimpmunk ran by.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #3

I bought a 45# weight and put some hardware on it. It has held 2 dogs at 40lbs each. They have drug it a few feet a couple times but never very far before they give up.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkie123 View Post
We came up with this simple modification by drilling a small hole through the basement floor and attached a long threaded eye hook.
The only thing that I would be wary of is into what, exactly, you drilled the hole for the eye hook. My guess is the metal framing for your basement compartment? For an 85lb dog I would think that if it takes off quickly (after another dog, squirrel, etc.) it could easily rip that eye hook out of the metal, giving you a nice gash leftover. But, I say that not knowing exactly what you drilled into.

As a potential enhancement, I'd get an eye hook bolt that you could bolt on to the frame, which is obviously further in towards the center of the motorcoach. But then, you could use a shorter length of chain/rope that could attach to the frame-mounted eye hook and the other end clip to your existing eye hook for storage while travelling. Then, when you want to tie up your pooch, unclip the end from your existing eye hook, attach to their leash, and you'll be good-to-go. This way you don't have to crawl under the motorcoach to attach the leash to the frame, but you have an easy way to keep the short section secure while travelling or not using it. Just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdman11 View Post
I bought a 45# weight and put some hardware on it. It has held 2 dogs at 40lbs each. They have drug it a few feet a couple times but never very far before they give up.
After a few dozen RV trips you'll have Ironman dogs that could compete in pulling competitions!
LakeKlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #5

I have a spare piece of 1" decking with an eye bolt in it. I put it either under a tire (only raises the trailer 1/2" if its one tire, or under a jack stand. Dogs aren't pulling that...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKlair View Post
The only thing that I would be wary of is into what, exactly, you drilled the hole for the eye hook. My guess is the metal framing for your basement compartment? For an 85lb dog I would think that if it takes off quickly (after another dog, squirrel, etc.) it could easily rip that eye hook out of the metal, giving you a nice gash leftover. But, I say that not knowing exactly what you drilled into.
The eye hook is drilled through the plywood then into a cross member steel support piece about 4 inches wide. I think it may be strong enough, however I may have to increase the diameter of the eye hook to something a little heavier.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Tie 3.jpg  
Old 10-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #7

They actually sell dog tie shock absorbers. One of those might help.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dog+tie+o...l_9r9u4bpu2g_e
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote