Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #21

Following
Pipebndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnprecept View Post
It has been 7 months since I started this thread and I finally got around to insulating the doghouse yesterday. The post above from PSW757 was a perfect installation guide and I followed his instructions to the letter. I found nothing different from what he described, but it was hard work and I'm sure it will be worth the effort. It would have helped to have a second person to lift the center stack while I removed the doghouse, but I got through it ok. One thing I had to be careful with was the jungle of wires in the central console and making sure I didn't trap some of them when I replaced the doghouse. I used some duck tape to stop them falling into the engine when I replaced the doghouse. Love this forum and thanks to PSW757.
Report back after driving..I’m sure you’ll be happy and I agree a second set of hands to lift the center stack would make it easier. The mess of wires in the center stack is ridiculous too!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #23

UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POST. After a 2,000+ mile trip to Texas and back, the noise from the doghouse was significantly lower, but still road noise from the driver and passenger floor. Since there is still some road noise from the passenger and driver floor, I plan to use more Dynamat Extreme on the linoleum and use a outdoor 2 x 3 mat from Walmart on top of it. Once parked, we love the space and comfort of the Precept 31UL and it compensates for any noise of a few hours on the road. Love my Precept.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachvic View Post
I have a 2018 Precept and I took mine off, removing the center console section that the Fusion and AC controls are housed. It was a major pain and I hope I never have to do it again. 6 screws along the front of the dog house. 11 around the side. and 3 screws that attached the frame for the center console to the doghouse itself. I was trying to add insulation for heat and sound to the doghouse.

Did adding insulation help with the heat?
yankeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #25

Insulation did reduce the heat, and the doghouse is now warm after a long drive, but not too hot to touch.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #26

Another update on my Dynamat Extreme and noise reduction. Previously I used the DE & Dynamat hoodliner on the doghouse, and last week, I used the DE on the floor of the driver and passenger side and covered that with an outdoor mat from Walmart. Today was the first time driving it, and the noise levels were significantly reduced. The decibel level at idle was 64db; cruise set at 67mph it was 76db at 2,200 rpm; and going up a small hill at 3,000 rpm and 65mph was 82db. Heat from doghouse and floor is a non-issue. I did not check the decibel level prior to using DE but the noise reduction is noticeable and I am really pleased that I did this project. As a sort of "reference" point, my 2017 Honda Pilot registers 66db at 75mph.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #27

Thank you everyone for the details on removing the Precept Doghouse. We picked up our 34G last week and clearly the heat and noise need to be addressed. I've already ordered Dynamat Extreme, Dynaliner & DynaTape for the project. Unfortunately we live in the California desert and it's 111 degrees for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure we can tackle this project in the summer. When we can do this project, I'll share the results. I did receive the official instructions from Jayco for removing the Doghouse and attached them to this post. Even with these types of issues that need addressing, we LOVE our Precept 34G! What a great RV!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doghouse removal.pdf (331.9 KB, 80 views)
Bernheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #28

2020 Precept Doghouse

Attempted to pull my doghouse, getting it ready to pull was the easy part. Mine has about a 1.5 inch vertical lip, where it attaches to wooden box. Cannot get it past lower dash, for removal. I am open for suggestions.
DVLDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLDWG View Post
Attempted to pull my doghouse, getting it ready to pull was the easy part. Mine has about a 1.5 inch vertical lip, where it attaches to wooden box. Cannot get it past lower dash, for removal. I am open for suggestions.
Welcome to the site from SW Michigan!

Someone mentioned having to remove the wood earlier in the thread. Wonder if that was the reason. Also, maybe someone else will jump in that can assist. Good luck!

P.S. I see there are some good instructions at number 12 in the thread.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #30

No lip on my 2015 31UL, so can’t help with that. I recently removed and replaced all the carpet in our rig. In the process I insulated the cab floor and doghouse with Dynamat, removing the seats in the process. I also stuffed a roll and a half of attic insulation under and behind the dash. Just sprayed some 3m adhesive up there and it holds the insulation in place just fine.
I don’t have a DB meter but it has made a significant difference in road and engine noise. My doghouse did have the factory pad on the underside, but the Dynamat definitely helps. I don’t want to take it all apart again but it might not hurt to put a double layer on for even better sound dampening.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote