Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 AM   #1

Door not closing

Good Morning,

My wife and I have noticed that our door is not closing correctly. It was has been 'a little off' since we took our unit in september but now with the colder weather (I am guessing) it seems to be really stuck.

It appears that the 2 pins in the door are a little lower than they should be when hitting the strike plate in the door frame. The strike plate cannot be adjust any further. I am thinking about taking apart the door handle to see if I can adjust the pins.

Anyone else have this issue?

Tom
2018 PRecept 31UL
fizikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #2

We had an issue with our TT door being hard to close, had to slam it from the outside, almost impossible to close/latch from the inside. Found a screw at the bottom corner was rubbing the frame bad, so replaced the panhead screw with a flathead screw, door works fine now.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #3

It's pretty common with precepts. Lubrication, adjustment, and judicious filing of the strike plate.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Try moving the lock itself up a little. There is some adjustment available in it.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #5

We just took ours into Jayco and this was on our list of problems. I shot a video of it and realized for the first time that the front to back angle of the strike plate was actually closing enough to not allow the pins on the door to be able to get through. I think a shim behind the strike plate and retighten could make your problem vanish...
Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

I've noticed if the unit is not leveled or off a bit the door will be harder to close.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

I have same problem when it’s hot or warm you can open the door when it’s cold it’s so hard you won’t open or close until you slam there is problem with door jam too tar from 2 pins . I try to fixed but won’t work would need to remove 1 strike plate ( not possible) or move middle of door jam towards the door (1/4”)but don’t know how , I need to take to service ,QControl so horrible on many things
Jaycoprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #8

Precept 31UL Door

We have a 2018 and the door was always hard to open or close. Had to slam it shut. While in Arizona on the expressway the door flew open. While at a Jayco dealer I tried several Precept's on the lot and all the doors were the same. I looked into the pins and strike plates for alignment issues. A dealer in Orlando Florida installed a new frame and door assembly with a new keyless lock. Same situation...had to slam the door. So as a contractor and working with doors I decided that I was going to solve this problem. After studding the mechanics, I discovered that the latch bolt of the lock (not the deadbolt) was the issue. I used dry silicone spray and lubricated the latch bolt. I made no adjustments to the lock assembly or striker plates..just lubrication to the latch bolt. I sprayed into the lock assembly without taking it apart. The door works perfectly.
Parhole1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

In my case lubrications won’t work it’s the door jam and strike plates as I describe
Old 10-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Here is a video of the problem we were having. It is hopefully going to be solved. We'll see and update this post...

https://youtu.be/Xc3vysoP08g
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #11

We have this problem A LOT!.

At first, I put Locktite on the strike plate screws and torqued them down.

We found that where it was adjusted right then, is not always the right place. Depending on how the rig got leveled, if the door is in the sun and other factors like the rig is not level - affect how the door alignment is with the strike plate.

Now... I keep a phillips screwdriver nearby and am constantly adjusting the strike plate to what works well with the door. That always solves the door issue - until we reach our next destination and I repeat the same process in about 30 seconds.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #12

I have same issue
Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

If not level it's easy to get a "twist" in the RV which will rack the door.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

We have always had a problem with the door on our 2015 Eagle 351 RSTS. We can't just slam the door, it won't shut. We have to close the door carefully, raise the handle, push the door kn, and release the handle. We had ig adjusted twice while under warranty to no avail. Hubby has adjusted it a couple of times when it refused to latch ag all and discovered it was installed wrong. We just live with it now, though sometimes it is very hard to open from the outside.
Overogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
GJB

On my 2016 35S I had to take the trim off the inside door fame and the rubber cover over screws on outside of door frame. Then loosen all screws on strike plate side of door.
One person inside with a large screwdriver or wood shims to pry the frame toward the door opening and at the same time someone outside retighten the screws. Not all of the screw holes are used on door frame and you can use new holes.
Moved the frame maybe 1/32 of an inch but that was enough to fix the problem.
I had tried filing and lubing and this is the only thing that solved the problem. Door opening is too large and they don't do a great job when they install it.
Good Luck
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #16

Had the same problem with my 2014 Precept. Dealer said would fix at first warranty appt. Well made it almost home when I hit a bump just before the thruway toll booths and the door came open. Because it has a gas cylinder to hold it open and the steps come out, the door and the steps hit the concrete booth. Door was ok but broke the steps. Jayco replaced under warranty.

I took the strike plate off and filed it to make it line up. Also, I now always lock the door with the dead bolt to make sure it never springs open again.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #17

Yes, we always lock ours with deadbolt too!
Overogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #18

I have read of others having this problem. Dealer warranty time..........not a horrible fix from what I have read.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarf View Post
Had the same problem with my 2014 Precept. Dealer said would fix at first warranty appt. Well made it almost home when I hit a bump just before the thruway toll booths and the door came open. Because it has a gas cylinder to hold it open and the steps come out, the door and the steps hit the concrete booth. Door was ok but broke the steps. Jayco replaced under warranty.

I took the strike plate off and filed it to make it line up. Also, I now always lock the door with the dead bolt to make sure it never springs open again.
how did you get the strike plate off?
fizikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #20

Had the same problem with our 2016 Alante. Jayco supplied, thru Dealer, a lockset with longer pins. Problem solved.