Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #1

Drop down bunk

2021 Jayco Precept 31UL. The overhead drop down bunk left slide rail is coming out of the wall. Screws are about half an inch out and it rattles when we drive now. I tried to just screw them back in but they won’t budge. Is there any suggestions before I call the dealer and have to deal with that whole thing. Thanks in advance
Jesse1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse1138 View Post
2021 Jayco Precept 31UL. The overhead drop down bunk left slide rail is coming out of the wall. Screws are about half an inch out and it rattles when we drive now. I tried to just screw them back in but they won’t budge. Is there any suggestions before I call the dealer and have to deal with that whole thing. Thanks in advance
Check out this link, then contact your dealer to repair the rail issue as well.

https://www.rvtravel.com/jayco-recal...-gear-failure/
JK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:08 AM   #3

Here's my pure guess.... they were never tight from the factory? My guess is the screw is into metal (steel or aluminum). Even if you have to use pliers or vice grips on the screw head, remove the "stuck" screw. Replace the screw with like size self drill/tapping screw. If the screw head breaks off, you just have to drill out the broke screw.

Mark
Old 04-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse1138 View Post
This recall has a thread going on it already: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ure-81842.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

We have the same problem. 2021 Alante 27a. Driver side bed rail was loose. The top and middle screw both cut slots in the wall! I put a couple Sheetrock type anchors in and also made a bracket at the top of the rail. Put the L shaped bracket on front side of the rail and was able to actually hit the metal stud!! It has been good on our current trip. I saw this fix on this forum I don’t remember which thread. I guess it’s a common issue.
Little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #6

How long did this take you?
Old 04-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Not to long at all. Went to Lowe’s to get an L shaped bracket and a 1/4-20 bolt with nut and lock washer. And 3/4 inch long 1/4 inch self tapping screw. I did shorten the bracket on a grinding wheel on the side against the slide rail. I don’t think an hour of labor went into this fix! And maybe 5 or 6 dollar’s. I would post a pic but I am not sure how to!
Little bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #8

Perfect thank you
Old 04-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #9

We had a similar problem at delivery....the sales guy said..."Oh...the seats are in the way....NO...the screws weren't all the way in and prevented the bed from going down ....I really wonder about their QC......anyway, I drove the screws in and all 'was well'....
Davidarm320 is offline   Reply With Quote