Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Dumbest thing I've done this week (but stby. it's only Thursday)

So the DW drops me at the storage lot, I get the MH fired up bluetooth linked up and stereo going for the ride back into town. Just as I make the swing for the gate to exit the lot I hear a helluva crash in the back. Some brain surgeon who had left the refer door open while the unit was on the lot forgot to close it. When it swung fully open it broke the bottom hinge. So here I sit preparing to two part epoxy the plastic hinge back together hoping it will hold up for a week or so of camping and until I can get a replacement part. It's too small to weld, I'm afraid I'd end up with a molten pool of ABS and the second dumbest thing I've done so far this week. Such are the vicissitudes of life.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #2

Don’t know if this applies to your fridge, but the replacement hinge is great piece of mind.
https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-re...compatibility/
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Don’t know if this applies to your fridge, but the replacement hinge is great piece of mind.
https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-re...compatibility/
Not that part, it's actually the female piece which is part of the bottom trim on the door. Norcold site says if this part ( for model# N821 breaks off due to excessive swing you have to replace the entire door @ $185.00. I may fit it together with a two part epoxy, dremel a channel in the fissure and take a shot at welding it. Just need to make sure what kind of plastic it is. Looks to be ABS.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #4

you will need both the door AND that part, it reinforces the door. been there done that
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
you will need both the door AND that part, it reinforces the door. been there done that
The piece I need is molded as part of the btm trim which is hard plastic. Norcold parts site says the trim piece is only sold as part of an entire door, the actual parts the door hinges fit into at top and bottom are metal brackets and are attached to the unit. The one he shows was the top. If I could just acquire and replace the entire bottom trim piece I'd be good to go. Norcold made two styles of door for this model, one they've discontinued, fortunately mine is still available (at a nominal fee).
Old 06-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #6

the metal part reinforces the bottom trim part of the door so it won't break again, i had to order the entire door to get the trim part. it is a design flaw and the price for the metal part is outrageous for what it is
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #7

There are only 2 kinds of people in the RV world. Those who have made a dumb mistake and those who are going to make a dumb mistake. It happens to everyone at some point no matter how careful you are.

I just dragged the MORryde step above steps on our brand new trailer 50 feet down my driveway DESPITE hearing the God awful grinding noise,

I am in that first group of people I mentioned...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #8

There should be a pinned thread of people to admit stupid mistakes. ��
Here’s mine: drove out of a parking lot and up the road before the kids informed me the awning was still out! ��
audioflyer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioflyer79 View Post
Here’s mine: drove out of a parking lot and up the road before the kids informed me the awning was still out! ��
Ooooooo!

Mine was in 1986, brand new 1986 Terry Taurus. First trip out and got to the state park after dark and had to turn around to get into the campsite. S.W.M.B.O.* asked if she should get out to know where I was backing. Nope, I have this!

Oops! Who put a tree where I was backing? Nice dent in the square bumper. Of course, it was always there as a reminder!

Murff

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #10

My dumbest rv related incident was forgetting to fold up the entry steps up on my old 1978 class c when putting it in the barn. I stopped the instant I heard it, just inches away from folding the steps permanently in the wrong direction. Luckily I could bend them back. The crushed steel siding on the barn is a permanent reminder to ALWAYS do a walk around before going anywhere.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioflyer79 View Post
Here's a long one that was running for many years. Not a sticky, but lots of great stories for your reading pleasure.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ment-1576.html
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
the metal part reinforces the bottom trim part of the door so it won't break again, i had to order the entire door to get the trim part. it is a design flaw and the price for the metal part is outrageous for what it is
Oh, I see, thanks that's exactly what I need then. I've already epoxied the piece but I need to reinforce it. Since it's at the bottom the weight of the door is largely resting there.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Oh, I see, thanks that's exactly what I need then. I've already epoxied the piece but I need to reinforce it. Since it's at the bottom the weight of the door is largely resting there.
As I recall, you get both right and left hand hinges, depending on what side your door opens. Might be worth a search here — some have offered up their other bracket for cost of postage.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
As I recall, you get both right and left hand hinges, depending on what side your door opens. Might be worth a search here — some have offered up their other bracket for cost of postage.
Thanks, I've already ordered the hinge reinforcement bracket that Luckyduck linked to and which you reiterated I really do need. I'm in the process of repairing the broken hinge piece and I've decided that tomorrow after the epoxy cures I'm going to weld in some ABS to reinforce the repair and then run a thin metal band around it as a collar. Meantime I've ordered the new door, just hoping this repair will hold up for a week or so. I think it might actually be stronger than before, but since they could discontinue this door anytime I'd hate to find I need one after the fact. You guys btw., are what make this forum an important source for we the uninitiated. Hopefully I can pay it forward and thanks again for the help.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Thanks, I've already ordered the hinge reinforcement bracket that Luckyduck linked to and which you reiterated I really do need. I'm in the process of repairing the broken hinge piece and I've decided that tomorrow after the epoxy cures I'm going to weld in some ABS to reinforce the repair and then run a thin metal band around it as a collar. Meantime I've ordered the new door, just hoping this repair will hold up for a week or so. I think it might actually be stronger than before, but since they could discontinue this door anytime I'd hate to find I need one after the fact. You guys btw., are what make this forum an important source for we the uninitiated. Hopefully I can pay it forward and thanks again for the help.
You’re absolutely right about the forum. Happy to help.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Well, got the piece expoxied back on, gouged a narrow channel along the lines of the break and welded it. The underside of the piece has a hollowed out 1/2" x 3/4" area so I filled this with ABS also. Ground it down and smoothed everything with a hot knife, and reinstalled the door. Looks good to go for now, not sure how much weight I'm going to put in the door shelves for now and hopefully it will survive a few hundred miles and a week or so of use until the new door and the reinforcing brackets arrive. Next edition of "hold my beer engineering" Is fixing the door swing issue. It's apparently a thing, since Norcold is pretty specific that when the door hinge breaks from over swing don't call us for the part, you need a new door and one of the reinforcing brackets ( 'cause the ABS hinges on our doors really suck) and going by the price are apprently made of diamond studded platinum. Then again, closing the refer doors before you peel out of the storage lot is highly advised too.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #17

If it's ABS plastic, it's an easy fix.
I've rebuilt quite a lot of ABS on motorcycles using a soldering iron, some spare ABS and ABS glue.
Repair can be very strong.
Youtube search for videos.
It's an easy job!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:42 PM   #18

Curious. Did you actually being the brain surgeon...or are we to infer that?
Or can you identify the brain surgeon in question???
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #19

Not this week but the weekend before Memorial Day. I got home from our trip to the lake, went inside the trailer to make a sandwich as all the lunch fixings were still in the fridge. After a quick bite, I went out to dump my tanks and unload my generator. Finished those two chores, stowed all the gear I used to dump and rinse my tanks, jumped in the truck and started to back out to the street so I could park the trailer in its usual spot. I said to myself, that hitch has never made that much noise before while backing up. I think I moved about 4 feet before I remember, I LEFT THE MOR RYDE STEPS OUT! I bent the heck out of them, but I was able to straighten them enough to get them stowed. Once I got it in its home parking spot, I took a closer look. I really bent one of the feet and twisted the steps themselves. I was able to straighten the foot with the help of some vise grip pliers and the rest of the steps by twisting them back into position. They're still useable, and unless you know what to look for, you can't tell.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #20

Was in a rush to return trailer before storage closed and noticed after I was on the main road that some idiot left the handrail out. [emoji85] I wish I wasn't the idiot.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote