Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #1

Electric rv

I was just reading an article in Car and Driver. Winnebago /Ford Transit has a class b electric motorhome. They say it can go 125 miles on a charge. This means it might get 100 miles. It can run all appliances off it's own battery. Can you imagine going 1,000 miles or more, that's a lot of stops. I wonder does it have a generator, if you boondock do you wake up with a dead battery and how do you refill the battery in the middle of nowhere. Wonder what other people think
Old 01-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I was just reading an article in Car and Driver. Winnebago /Ford Transit has a class b electric motorhome. They say it can go 125 miles on a charge. This means it might get 100 miles. It can run all appliances off it's own battery. Can you imagine going 1,000 miles or more, that's a lot of stops. I wonder does it have a generator, if you boondock do you wake up with a dead battery and how do you refill the battery in the middle of nowhere. Wonder what other people think
If someone stops to think about the push for electric vehicles, they are ALL recharged by coal or natural gas generating plants. Nuclear basically is a very minor player any more. Solar and wind power isn't even in the picture as far as generating power for our Country. I wish it was, but I saw what happened in Texas last year. I was working there and saw the brownouts and complete grid failure. Basically, any environmental "green" vehicle is powered by fossil fuel, at least at the present time.

Anyone can show or teach me otherwise, my mind is always open for other views.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
If someone stops to think about the push for electric vehicles, they are ALL recharged by coal or natural gas generating plants. Nuclear basically is a very minor player any more. Solar and wind power isn't even in the picture as far as generating power for our Country. I wish it was, but I saw what happened in Texas last year. I was working there and saw the brownouts and complete grid failure. Basically, any environmental "green" vehicle is powered by fossil fuel, at least at the present time.

Right solar and wind are about 10% and nuclear is just about 20% but we need more. I can't imagine a campground ever installing fast chargers for campers. 250,000 each
Old 01-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
RPR

If that was the same article they state it was designed for short trips close to home.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

I especially enjoyed the editorial comments:

""""Simply put, this bad boy is loaded with a number of great features. Wireless connectivity is pumped through the motorhome through a residential-grade WiFi network that’s capable of high data streaming. The galley includes amenities like a marine-grade refrigerator, an induction cooktop, and a bathroom that includes a detachable handheld showerhead.""""
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:07 AM   #6

Since a Ford transit van, the big one is 15 feet long. Take off 5 feet for the front end. This leaves a skinny 10 foot box. A person could buy the Ford ev truck and a camping trailer with a 10 foot box it would have much more room and the range of the pickup would probably be more than double of the Ford Transit
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:

don't forget about the rare earth elements used to make those batteries that can't be recycled.....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:

Every time there is a shift in the status quo, there are growing pains. I doubt there was a gas station on every corner when the first horseless carriages showed up. It'll take some time and some false starts, but we'll figure it out.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #9

Electric rv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Right solar and wind are about 10% and nuclear is just about 20% but we need more. I can't imagine a campground ever installing fast chargers for campers. 250,000 each

I’d agree. Most campgrounds don’t even try for a good WiFi setup. They would have one charging station by the dump station.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I’d agree. Most campgrounds don’t even try for a good WiFi setup. They would have one charging station by the dump station.
I agree even the best campgrounds have usless wifi unless you're right next to it. Anything that doesn't show doesn't count
Old 01-21-2022, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
don't forget about the rare earth elements used to make those batteries that can't be recycled.....
I haven't forgotten about the batteries, but don't know enough about them other than they can't be recycled at the present time. And can't be made without imported lithium. I'm sure we will hear more about them. Had to look up how many lithium mines there are in the U.S.

One.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #12

Just saw that, I thought it might make sense for the people that only travel 50 miles a day, but if you plug it in at the campground and then run the AC it wont charge the battery. An OK first attempt but needs far more range to be worthwhile.
Lee_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #13

Induction cooktop?
Guess it’s baloney n cheese sandwiches again.
100 miles? That’d barely get me across Houston!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #14

I need a lot more range than what's availabe now. I don't want to worry if I will get where I'm going, or be able to make it home. It will be a long time before those to issues will be solved.

Currently, I don't like being in a long line at the dump station, and can't imagine having to wait in line for a charge station.

Most politicians and companies want to be seen as "Green". I see it as marketing.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #15

I can fuel up in 7-10 minutes and get 300-400 miles range. An EV with 125 miles range that takes 2-4 hours to charge to 60-70% is useless to me for my travel. IMHO it will lead to a lot of 'range anxiety' for highway travel.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #16

Just need a 2 wheel trailer with a good Onan diesel generator to pull.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #17

Apparently they acknowledge it is for short trips. Maybe the best use would be to drive it to the other end of your driveway, park there and turn on that induction cooktop stove. You got to be able to finish up some burgers, if you like them rare.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Apparently they acknowledge it is for short trips. Maybe the best use would be to drive it to the other end of your driveway, park there and turn on that induction cooktop stove. You got to be able to finish up some burgers, if you like them rare.
Drive to the corner restaurant and have the meal in the parking lot
Old 01-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:

You may be surprised to know that nuclear power contributes 19.7% of all power used on the US grid. In addition to that, wind and hydro add another 15.7%, and "renewables" including solar are up to 19.8% for a grand total of over 50% produced by other than fossil fuel. Hope your mind is actually as open for facts as you claim.

Having said that, I'm not so sure EV RV's make a lot of sense since refueling (recharging?) infrastructure just doesn't exist for them yet. But times they are achangin'...
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfuzed View Post
Every time there is a shift in the status quo, there are growing pains. I doubt there was a gas station on every corner when the first horseless carriages showed up. It'll take some time and some false starts, but we'll figure it out.

Not quite the same as hydrocarbon energy development. Electric vehicles as a practical solution to personal transportation is a non starter and not just just because of the mileage issue. Projecting the transportation needs of the world economy, there are not enough known deposits of lithium and other critical rare earth material to supply the supposed demand. Electric vehicles are a niche solution at best. We'll most like jump to hydrogen energy solutions for mass transportation. Not many hydrogen fuel stations now but will most likely follow hydrocarbon expansion. It's plentiful and can actually be produced as a by-product of nuclear generation
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote