Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Emergency Window Latch on Frameless Window

Hello....

My husband and I were looking at a Jayco Alante 31V the other day. We noticed the frameless emergency window in the bedroom had a small latch on it to keep it locked, but once you unlatched it, the window just hung open. There was no supporting bars to hold it in place. You couldn't adjust the opening at all. Basically, the window just dangled.

The sales person told me that's how it was supposed to be. When we tried to close it, it was very difficult to do, because it kept wanting to dangle out. Other than argue with him, thought I would check with you Jayco experts to how your emergency window works.

Thanks,
Shilo
Shilo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

Our 31RLDS has the same windows. Basically it is open or closed. The latch does have a spot that holds it in that open position but it is not safe to leave open if you are away. An emergency exit is an easy entrance too.
Chrislorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. From what you've written, it does sound like there is something missing from the one we were looking at. The latch was there, but nothing that would hold the window open even a few inches. We are thinking about purchasing the unit and want to make sure it is fixed if needed.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I don't think it is made to be open except in emergency. My current rig has a small window next to the ER for ventilation.
I know several who left it open or did not latch it properly and found it missing after a day of driving.
There are threads here where members have McIvered a screen and latch method.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #5

Norty1 is correct. It's an exit window only. Not designed to be used for ventilation, just escape. Back window same in my 29MV.
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #6

Mine stay open, and they did in my previous trailer too.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #7

Hey klassic, yes my 5th wheel was same way. My Greyhawk exit window doesn't have a prop open latch or a screen.
Stoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Our 31UL had that same window when we were buying it where it would not stay open. A few days before our walk through, the latch broke off the glass when I went to open it. Dealer found out that Jayco would need to send a new window for replacement, not just the latch. So, our dealer took it upon themselves to order a window that could be held open.

We got lucky for once and our dealer scored a few extra points...

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Our 2015 Jayco Redhawk had an emergency with a slide bar to hold it open, AND a SCREEN. The new 2016 Redhawk as no way to hold the window open, and no screen.

If anyone knows who the manufacturer of the 2016 emergency windows is, I'd love to know. I'll buy the parts from them and modify it myself. You just can't have enough windows that open for cross ventilation!

Thanks!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #10

Thanks for all your responses. Sounds like a dud of a window if you can't use it for ventilation....except of course, in case of an emergency. Guess it won't be a deal breaker though. We have decided to proceed with the purchase of the Alante 31V. We'll be Jayco owners within the next few weeks.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
Site Team

Hehr is a manufacturer of many rv windows. If you want lots of info, google- rv emergency windows. There only a few that are used and I think Jayco uses a few of them on different models, not sure.

http://www.hehrwindows.net/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #12

My husband and I were cleaning our 2016 Precept the other day after two weeks of use. I opened the rear [bedroom] exit window for fresh air while cleaning. When we were done, I tried to close the window but the window wouldn't close. My husband got on a ladder outside to see what was wrong with it. The dang thing just wouldn't close. He said it appears there is a horizontal bar, in the hinge, which runs the length of the window. Apparently, from what my husband could see, it looks like the bar has come out of the hinge. He was able to get the window to close the best he could but it's not flush.

What's upsetting, other than our brand new MH with a broken window, is that no matter what we've called Camping World for, i.e. other warranty issues, it's always a battle to get the coach in and fixed in a timely manner. We're still in the process of getting other issues fixed. Now with this window, who knows how long it will be before it gets fixed and we can use our coach again. UGH!
Grnandbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #13

My emergency window didn't have a screen or a latch to hold it open either. Here's a blurb from one of my previous posts.

My rig came without a screen for the bedroom egress window. I wanted to be able to open this window without being bugged. I already have the spline tool and screening so I figured it would be a simple matter of finding the matching screen parts online. I could only find one web site that sold the Kinro window parts (pellandent.com). Needed 2 radius corners, 2 square corners, frame material, and spline material for a 20" X 30" window. It was bad enough that they wanted $27 for the parts but when I got hit for $28 shipping, I bailed. Went to Lowes and got the materials for $15. Hey, it didn't match the existing stuff, but I'm not going to put up with a company that wants to make their profit on shipping. Just a heads up for those needing to build/rebuild their screens.

Since I built my own screen I also had to figure out a way to secure the window open. For now it's a 6" block of wood to hold it open and a wrap of velcro around the window latch looped through a hole in the window frame to keep it from blowing open.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #14

Thanks for all the information about these windows. I spoke to the service manager today about our window and he said he would have it fixed before we take delivery. He could see that a bar was missing from the latch. With everything that has been said on this thread, though, I think I'll be reluctant to use it for fear of it breaking again!
Old 06-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #15

I built a screen for the back window for a 2014 31UL using parts purchased from the window manufacturer & it really improves the ventilation in the bedroom. I used Velcro for binding and a little black tape in case the window had to be used for it's original purpose. The bathroom screen locking mechanism and opener were used.
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #16

My Precept 31 UL has the same flimsy latch on the back window. Would like to know which replacement window your dealer ordered. Does it have a screen?
Thanks
JFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #17

We purchased the Alante 31V in June. The emergency window is a bone of contention with us. Just yesterday we bought some screen and magnets for that window. That was a bust as the magnets didn't hold at all. But we are going to use velcro on the screen and frame and I'm sure that will work. To hold the window open when we want the cross ventilation we may use the fridge bar/cupboard bar. Hoping that works. Other option is to install the type of latch that the other windows use. Definitely not enough cross ventilation without that window opening!! Bad design on that for sure.
delder63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #18

Frame is aluminum, hence the magnets don't hold. But someone makes a tape that is magnetic, you stick that where need to affix, and the magnet for the screen will stick where the tape is.

Got mine from Amazon several years ago for my prior RV.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Frame is aluminum, hence the magnets don't hold. But someone makes a tape that is magnetic, you stick that where need to affix, and the magnet for the screen will stick where the tape is.

Got mine from Amazon several years ago for my prior RV.
Yeah that's what we used....the magnetic tape. But it was not at all strong enough to hold the magnetic tape that we attached to the screen. We've heard others have used the velcro so hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the reply!!
delder63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #20

I have a very small travel trailer, a Jayco 145RB... so the emergency exit window is the only window on that side. I know it would be a very wrong thing to do, but I would like to see it replaced with a normal window. Just a thought, not something that I'd really do even if something were available to fit that size.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote